Desert Island Retro

8 bit game music

swanyofrug

On 27/11/2018 at 19:13, swanyofrug said:

Thinking back to the good old days, what games in particular did you used to play that had awesome game music. My all time stand out was the last ninja level 1 even though I guess when last ninja 2 and 3 came out you could argue they were pushing the boundaries of the SID chip further. 

I must add that although the Spectrum 48 was limited with its sound there could be some pretty amazing tunes done with it.

yes being an amstrad cpc 464 owner i hate to admit the C64 was an all round better machine especially were the sound chip is concerned, thats not half bad for the speccy though is it lol

On 21/01/2019 at 16:35, stevedude2 said:

Yie ar Kung-Fu title music on the C64 was just absolute class - a rendition of Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields 4 by Martin Galway.  I could listen to it for hours.

I often listen to a selection of my favourite SID tunes on Sidplay.  Some of them have very little musical merit whatsoever and simply take me back to the days of  being a kid and playing the actual game.  Others are both nostalgic and superb to listen to in their own right, such as these -

Arcade Classics - Rob Hubbard

Armalyte - Martin Walker

Firelord - Ben Daglish

Flying Shark - Jim Evans

Forbidden Forest - Paul Norman

Fruit Machine Simulator (LOL) - Matt Gray - reminds me of Love Missile by Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

Glider Rider - David Whittaker

Hyber Blob - Steve Barrett

Lazy Jones - David Whittaker

< All of the Ocean Loaders were superb, as was Platoon by Jonathan Dunn >

R-Type - Chris Hulsbeck

Super Cycle - Bob Vieira :)

The Way of the Exploding Fist - Neil Brennan

Great days :sniff:

I had a cpc464 as a kid and after reading those names i can remember now for a fact that both hubbard and whittaker made the best music on some of the games for this machine by a country mile they could work wonders with that crappy AY sound chip

On 22/01/2019 at 02:05, fatdad said:

Fruit Machine Simulator Spectrum Title Music

a real toe tapper

blimey i had this for the amstrad it was great think it was by codemasters, the other fruitmachine game i had actually came free with the computer and was a complete bag of shit lol

2 hours ago, Plastron said:

Hi All,

i had the pleasure to makes games for the Atari 8-Bit and was fortunate enough to work with Richard Munns who was making fantastic music. Plastron and Heart Brake where two games i wrote. There may be some news on Plastron shortly will let you know when i can

wow yes i remember that line of computers it was the 400/600/800 XE/XL wasnt it, i never owned one i had an amstrad but i do remember these well, did you move on to making stuff for the ST when it came out?

15 hours ago, alex howard said:

wow yes i remember that line of computers it was the 400/600/800 XE/XL wasnt it, i never owned one i had an amstrad but i do remember these well, did you move on to making stuff for the ST when it came out?

Hi, 

No i never did anything for the ST started to teach myself 68000 and played a bit never got into it enough

• Like 1

The Last Ninja 2 on C64 - I think it was the Mansion loading music that stood out for me, oh and I think there was a Thundercats game as well that had a good soundtrack as well.

Edited by ace5k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ace5k said:

oh and I think there was a Thundercats game as well that had a good soundtrack as well.

Got the the whole boxset on DVD.

Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Edited by Big J
Missed a Thunder ;-)
  • Awesome 1

jeez some of those took me back 30-35 years!  thing on a spring was particularly awesome??

i had a rubber key 16k spectrum, then c64, then amiga500, b2000 and lastly a1200 in a tower 030 with squirrel cd rom etc.

now a 8/16 core intel water cooled blah blah..   where will computers be if i last another 30 years? 

33 minutes ago, nails said:

jeez some of those took me back 30-35 years!  thing on a spring was particularly awesome??

i had a rubber key 16k spectrum, then c64, then amiga500, b2000 and lastly a1200 in a tower 030 with squirrel cd rom etc.

now a 8/16 core intel water cooled blah blah..   where will computers be if i last another 30 years? 

the rubber key speccy lol could you just simply bang one of them DKtronics memory packs on the back and run all the 48k games?