Desert Island Retro

8 bit game music

swanyofrug

Thinking back to the good old days, what games in particular did you used to play that had awesome game music. My all time stand out was the last ninja level 1 even though I guess when last ninja 2 and 3 came out you could argue they were pushing the boundaries of the SID chip further. 

I must add that although the Spectrum 48 was limited with its sound there could be some pretty amazing tunes done with it.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

• 1 month later...

Yie ar Kung-Fu title music on the C64 was just absolute class - a rendition of Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields 4 by Martin Galway.  I could listen to it for hours.

I often listen to a selection of my favourite SID tunes on Sidplay.  Some of them have very little musical merit whatsoever and simply take me back to the days of  being a kid and playing the actual game.  Others are both nostalgic and superb to listen to in their own right, such as these -

Arcade Classics - Rob Hubbard

Armalyte - Martin Walker

Firelord - Ben Daglish

Flying Shark - Jim Evans

Forbidden Forest - Paul Norman

Fruit Machine Simulator (LOL) - Matt Gray - reminds me of Love Missile by Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

Glider Rider - David Whittaker

Hyber Blob - Steve Barrett

Lazy Jones - David Whittaker

< All of the Ocean Loaders were superb, as was Platoon by Jonathan Dunn >

R-Type - Chris Hulsbeck

Super Cycle - Bob Vieira :)

The Way of the Exploding Fist - Neil Brennan

Great days :sniff:

• Like 2

On 21/01/2019 at 16:35, stevedude2 said:

Yie ar Kung-Fu title music on the C64 was just absolute class - a rendition of Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields 4 by Martin Galway.  I could listen to it for hours.

I often listen to a selection of my favourite SID tunes on Sidplay.  Some of them have very little musical merit whatsoever and simply take me back to the days of  being a kid and playing the actual game.  Others are both nostalgic and superb to listen to in their own right, such as these -

Arcade Classics - Rob Hubbard

Armalyte - Martin Walker

Firelord - Ben Daglish

Flying Shark - Jim Evans

Forbidden Forest - Paul Norman

Fruit Machine Simulator (LOL) - Matt Gray - reminds me of Love Missile by Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

Glider Rider - David Whittaker

Hyber Blob - Steve Barrett

Lazy Jones - David Whittaker

< All of the Ocean Loaders were superb, as was Platoon by Jonathan Dunn >

R-Type - Chris Hulsbeck

Super Cycle - Bob Vieira :)

The Way of the Exploding Fist - Neil Brennan

Great days :sniff:

Some great titles there will get on youtube to have a listen and remember the old days.

Funny how things turn out.  Used to love all of these, and still do, and 35 years later, I'm now pally with Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Matt Gray and was with Ben Dalgish until he passed away last October.

Having Martin Galway etc, liking a post is nice! :)

Looking forward to the Orchestra gig in Hull in June with Rob!!! - Get tickets if you're interested - https://www.8-bit-symphony.com/

Let me know if you go, meet up for a pint.

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn

• 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, swanyofrug said:

WHAT!!!! You sir are the one on crack! These tunes are timeless...TIMELESS I tell you! 

Yes but a different type of crack😉 Timeless, most certainly. Noisy, most definitely. You blare one of these out in your ride lol you'll be nicked for disturbing the peace😂

3 hours ago, Big J said:

Yes but a different type of crack😉 Timeless, most certainly. Noisy, most definitely. You blare one of these out in your ride lol you'll be nicked for disturbing the peace😂

Well firstly....what you do with the crack of a mans arse is your business! 😂 Secondly, it's much better than some of the crap you hear pumping out of car windows nowadays lol!

• Haha 2
  • MrWhippy 1

The SID chip is an impressive synth.  Some amazing tunes on the C64.   The first tune I ever heard was Sanxion by Thalamus. I was totally blown away.   My favourites are the sublime Ocean loaders, immense.

My true love is the Z80 based ZX Spectrum, there are some decent tunes.  I’m a big fan of the beeper music, anyone who has owned and used a ZX Spectrum will know how underpowered the sound was on these systems.  One internal speaker, 1 channel, with no real volume control, yet Tim Follin did things with the sound that almost defy what was possible.

One  of my favourites, such a talented guy.

Retro Bliss.

J

Edited by A:E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swanyofrug said:

Well firstly....what you do with the crack of a mans arse is your business! 😂 Secondly, it's much better than some of the crap you hear pumping out of car windows nowadays lol!

I was talking about women, someone had something different on their mind. What your perverted mind does with mens bottoms is your business, we don't want to hear it:mess_344:

As for the music I am pre 2000s all the way, so that part I already know but thanks for filling me in!!!

Edited by Big J

The C64 was by far the best for 8 bit music. Some stunning tunes. 

Love listening to slay radio. 

The Spectrum was OK, but not a patch on the C64. I do remember though discovering on the Spectrum, you could play the tunes through the tape deck you loaded the games through. That took it up a notch, although the adults in the house, weren't so impressed with Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner repeating for the hundredth time at high volume. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

i had the pleasure to makes games for the Atari 8-Bit and was fortunate enough to work with Richard Munns who was making fantastic music. Plastron and Heart Brake where two games i wrote. There may be some news on Plastron shortly will let you know when i can