Desert Island Retro

Doctor Who - The Death of the Doctor

Reg

I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, I have been a fan since I was a very small child.

The first episode I remember is the one with the giant spiders where Sarah Jane-Smith literally had it on her back.  I was terrified – I hated spiders anyway.  The first Doctor Who think I really remember having is the Doctor Who Monster Book with the pull out poster that my parents insisted on putting above my bed.

Doctor-Who-Monster-Book-Target-Wyndham-Book-1975.jpg.3685d52509079cfb8a97023c33f15b60.jpg

The effects back then were crude but you know what, they were fit for purpose and until Star Wars came along – they were good effects.

My grandfather watched that episode with me hurried me to bed before my parents got back.  He was babysitting.

They found out – I could not keep my mouth shut or sleep and then they started to allow me to watch more Doctor Who.  I remember being able to watch the last episode of the first Tom Baker story with the giant robot and then slowly more and more.

Basically I grew up with the good Doctor.

I own all the DVD’s that were released in their original format, I own some Blu’s until the latest batch that I have not caught up on and I would watch every episode on TV until now.

Today it occurred to me that it was just propaganda driven by the PC correct brigade that had turned what was a pretty good program into pure shit.

This is nothing to do with Jodie, although she’s not good at working with the rubbish they give her and she pulls this stupid ( meant to be cute dumb look with her top lip all the time ).  Not this is because the BBC have turned Doctor Who into a documentary.

I walked by the TV and one of the retro type old channels was on.  It had an episode with David Tennant and Donna Noble as an assistant.  There was Dalek’s, explosions and lots of running around.  When you reflect on what Doctor Who now is – it’s a great piece of visual recording with lovely looking landscapes and panning cameras.  Lot’s of historic talking about Rosa Parks and the partitioning of India – but my god…

…the BBC have killed the fun in the program.

After many decades, much spent on this – we really are at the Death of the Doctor.

Thank you BBC for wasting what was a good program and making it into a documentary and somehow sapping and draining every ounce of fun from it.  If I want some heavy history I'll read about historical events - thank god I have my old DVD's and you know what, if the current writing team leave - perhaps the current cast will be given something useful to work with.

If anyone watches Doctor Who still, if they manage to make a decent eposide of the program with the awful writing skills they have - please give me a shout on here.  I would love to watch an eposide with Jodie and companions given something to work with that is fun and a good blast for an hour or so.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Reg said:

I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, I have been a fan since I was a very small child.

The first episode I remember is the one with the giant spiders where Sarah Jane-Smith literally had it on her back.  I was terrified – I hated spiders anyway.  The first Doctor Who think I really remember having is the Doctor Who Monster Book with the pull out poster that my parents insisted on putting above my bed.

Doctor-Who-Monster-Book-Target-Wyndham-Book-1975.jpg.3685d52509079cfb8a97023c33f15b60.jpg

The effects back then were crude but you know what, they were fit for purpose and until Star Wars came along – they were good effects.

My grandfather watched that episode with me hurried me to bed before my parents got back.  He was babysitting.

They found out – I could not keep my mouth shut or sleep and then they started to allow me to watch more Doctor Who.  I remember being able to watch the last episode of the first Tom Baker story with the giant robot and then slowly more and more.

I own all the DVD’s that were released in their original format, I own some Blu’s until the latest batch that I have not caught up on and I would watch every episode on TV until now.

Today it occurred to me that it was just propaganda driven by the PC correct brigade that had turned what was a pretty good program into pure shit.

This is nothing to do with Jodie, although she’s not good at working with the rubbish they give her and she pulls this stupid ( meant to be cute dumb look with her top lip all the time ).  Not this is because the BBC have turned Doctor Who into a documentary.

I walked by the TV and one of the retro type old channels was on.  It had an episode with David Tennant and Donna Noble as an assistant.  There was Dalek’s, explosions and lots of running around.  When you reflect on what Doctor Who now is – it’s a great piece of visual recording with lovely looking landscapes and panning cameras.  Lot’s of historic talking about Rosa Parks and the partitioning of India – but my god…

After many decades, much spent on this – we really are at the Death of the Doctor.

Thank you BBC for wasting what was a good program and making it into a documentary and somehow sapping and draining every ounce of fun from it.  If I want some heavy history I'll read about historical events - thank god I have my old DVD's and you know what, if the current writing team leave - perhaps the current cast will be given something useful to work with.

If anyone watches Doctor Who still, if they manage to make a decent eposide of the program with the awful writing skills they have - please give me a shout on here.  I would love to watch an eposide with Jodie and companions given something to work with that is fun and a good blast for an hour or so.

tell me about it..i had high hopes the new doctor would bring something different but all i see is whiteman bad in every episode so far...

• Like 1

On 21/11/2018 at 22:39, 1969kappa said:

John Pertwee was a great Dr but Tom Baker was my personal favorite and enemy it has got to be the super kick arse Daleks   

Yeah Baker for me too during my childhood, although Tennant did well during in the new series. As for enemies I loved the rastan robot from the 5 doctors, which is my favourite episode (well mini movie really) which ironically didn't feature Baker.

I had high hopes of the newest series after Capaldi as I nearly gave up, but this new series is just a bunch of PC babies tosh!

Edited by Pook

DX Banner.png

On 24/11/2018 at 18:24, Pook said:

Yeah Baker for me too during my childhood, although Tennant did well during in the new series. As for enemies I loved the rastan robot from the 5 doctors, which is my favourite episode (well mini movie really) which ironically didn't feature Baker.

I had high hopes of the newest series after Capaldi as I nearly gave up, but this new series is just a bunch of PC babies tosh!

Tennant ,Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were all fairly good as the Dr I thought but I had to clean my ears when someone said the new Dr was a woman (I dont care if the PC brigade dont like my comment) as the Dr should be a man the world has gone mad PC tree hugging lefties all over the place (ghostbusters with women Oceans 8 with women ) NO NO NO it's not big and it's not clever 

14 hours ago, 1969kappa said:

Tennant ,Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were all fairly good as the Dr I thought but I had to clean my ears when someone said the new Dr was a woman (I dont care if the PC brigade dont like my comment) as the Dr should be a man the world has gone mad PC tree hugging lefties all over the place (ghostbusters with women Oceans 8 with women ) NO NO NO it's not big and it's not clever 

Been watching the new Mrs who show :) . Its not that bad , all i can say is , my 8 year daughter watches it now , and holds me hand in the scary bits . Yeah it has gone pc , and tries too hard to please our multiracial country but , i put it down to manners , and i guess manners cost nothing . Tenant blew me away as the doctor . But if you think about why are just redoing stuff from the past ? im pretty sure people still write , great stories , new and fresh . I guess it shows we all get a kick out of retro , reminds us of our youth and at the same time , it becomes part of the youth today , those walking,talking things we made , since we were sitting watching dr who waiting for mums to make dinner ? , ya get me ? . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2018 at 18:04, Reg said:

New series has been hit and miss , i find it depends on what mood your in ,  i will watch them again , but im here to remind us all of David Tenants "blink" , a doctor who rated above , the shawshank redemption .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000252/?ref_=ttep_ep11

Oceans 8 , yeah , awful awful film , and ghostbusters , chr1st , they shat on that . When i get drunk , and give my , suffragettes got the vote through pity , and making us feel bad for them , and not hard work , and being useful , i get a slap :) . But , i like this bird , and bradley walsh is homely too , and some episodes were too scary for my kid , so , to me it aint bad ,

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As the regeneration of becks , i figure i have to post on this 'who' thread . must admit ive noticed in life , if you watch a show or movie in a bad mood , or stressed  , it can give you the wrong impression of what you watching . So i will be fair to the show , and continue watching , hopefully in a better mood :) . what grinds my gears , is this , change it , for change its sake . If Damien Hirst , re designed the pyramids , thats what you got here .

Heres one  for the ladies :), just to be fair , i tried  to pick the hottest  Dr Who :) , just an observation , but tom baker looks like my  old english teacher , Mrs Fairfield . Might be more to this time travel  .................  , :) i stand suitably chastised BJ , a lesson leaner me , never one to offend twice ,

DxNkYLFX4AES8hv.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Hey , Its Doctor who again , i hope they fix it soon :) , on the plus side the intro music still good , reminds me of hiding behind a sofa and Big daddy wrestling , and the late great greavsie's banter , oh the days :) , im in house of varied aged kids , and Doctor who empties the room these days , worrying times when the only thing that scares the kids to tears is watching the news with global warming and Covid . Hope everybodys surviving out there , iz still getting high and playing Turrican 2 on the amiga emu , keeping it real :) , so a big up , to the fruity crew .

As a poor 10 year old 36 years ago!, the highlight of my week was going to the Library to get some more Dr Who books,

For a pre-teen kid, the books were AMAZING!!, and there were so many of them to boot.

I watched it though to the end of the Capaldi era... but felt throughout the Matt Smith shows it was already being seriously dumbed down.

This is reflected in the DVD ratings.... The Ecclestone and Tennant series are rated 15 or 12...... the Smith ones are all PG or even U.

Best assistant - K9 of course!

• Like 1

There were a few good episode titles in the Tom Baker era. Especially his final story! 

I have seen Roger Delgado in Doctor Who reruns on Sky in the past. He was a great enemy to Jon Pertwee's Doctor. They had a sword fight in a prison where The Master was incarcerated. He was trying to work with Sea Devils in that episode. Unfortunately he died in a car crash around the time he was in Doctor Who. 

I have a large collection of Doctor Who books from when I used to buy them as a kid. A few of them are quite rare from what I gather. The Wheel In Space for example only ever had about a thousand books published and I got hold of one in the 1990s. 

• Like 3

I'm a moderate fan of Dr Who but not massively so, Tom Baker was 'my doctor' as he was the one on the telly when I was young. The Ecclestone revival was very good but I lost interest subsequently.

@Reg are you aware of this series on YouTube? It really is excellent, there's an episode for every single doctor.

Channel is here - Clever Dick Films - YouTube

And so on.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth