Desert Island Retro

Which 8 bit computer do you wish you had tried/owned?

Gary

Does anyone else have a retro wish list as to a computer that back in the 80s you either bypassed or just didn't know about but now after playing some games via emulators you now think thats not a bad system and want to try and get hold of one?

For me its the MSX. I knew of one friend that had one in the 80s and he got ripped into by the Commodore and Spectrum owners (as did the kid that owned an Aquarius but he deserved it :) ) but the few times I did have a go I was semi impressed by the Konami conversions on cartridge but there just seemed so few of them in the UK. Now with a hefty pack of roms I always seem to be drawn to the MSX games when I fancy something different and now realise that there was a lot more available than I thought.

Trouble is MSX2 computers (the 2 has better graphics) seem to be fairly rare in the UK and any that do come up seem to go for high prices. But one day I will get hold of one for the collection

Has to be Amstrad.

There was an Amstrad game that I played on an emulation of whatever the disk version of their computer was - it was Sorcery+.

What a fantatsic little game that was.  I was even able to complete it ( sometimes ) but that had you coming back for more ( well at least me ).

1 hour ago, Reg said:

Has to be Amstrad.

There was an Amstrad game that I played on an emulation of whatever the disk version of their computer was - it was Sorcery+.

What a fantatsic little game that was.  I was even able to complete it ( sometimes ) but that had you coming back for more ( well at least me ).

That will be either the CPC664 or CPC6128. The Amstrad never did much for me probably because of lazy programmers who basically ported the spectrum version over and left it running spectrum style graphics.

The MSX was the birthplace to some franchises still running today like Metal Gear, Castlevania and Bomberman

None would be my answer. I had a ZX81, Spectrum 48k and C64.

Very rarely I might see a game screenshot from another computer and think wow that looks better than my version. One such instance was a game called Savage iirc. The Amstrad version looked excellent.

I also when I owned a Spectrum, craved getting a C64 which I did in the end. 

I had a Speccy and a Commodore 64. I remember the first time I saw a C64 at my mates house and he loaded up Rambo. When that loading music started playing I was gobsmacked but it was many years afterwards before I owned one myself which is a funny story in itself. I bought a second hand one from a bloke at work and when I got it home I thought I would give it a quick test while my bath is running. BIG MISTAKE!! I loaded Last ninja and about 45 minutes later my mum was screaming up the stairs that there was water pouring out of the kitchen light fitting. 😮 

• Haha 3

On 15/11/2018 at 11:05, becks said:

I wanted a Sam Coupe , I had dreams about that lol , screen shots were so deceiving , back when captain planet looked cool lmao

I had one, you had to make sure you never had a disk in it when you turned it on or off as it was prone to corrupting the disk, infact they could corrupt just being in the drive and resetting it. There was only a handful of games built for Coupe mode (probably about the same as there was for native C128 mode) and mine spent most of the time in spectrum mode

• Awesome 1

I wanted all the ones that never were released.  The Sinclair Loki, the C65, and the Konix.  All 3 were superb in their own ways.  C65 there's a LLE but of course no software apart from basic stuff.  Konix, there's a cracking emulator for it, HLE, but not much available, even LN2 is brilliant, I've seen and heard it, but the person who has the dev disks won't release it for fear off being sued by John Twiddy!  (30 years on, I've told him, I doubt System 3 care anymore ).  Loki, nothing exists.  Lookwise it came out as the +2, but that's all.  The hardware was improved and used in the Konix!

Real computers, I had them all at their peak.  Spectrum 82-86, C64 83-88, ST 87-89, Amiga 87-92.  Not bothered about the consoles.

Used to have a massive retro collection.  sp 48, sp 128, +2, +3.  C64, c64c, c128d, cpc6128, st, amiga etc, all modded with sd drives, flogged the lot when I had to for financial reasons and now have every 8 and 16bit computer on a FPGA.  Switch from Jupiter Ace to Amiga at the touch of a button etc.

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn

On 17/11/2018 at 17:50, niallquinn said:

I wanted all the ones that never were released.  The Sinclair Loki, the C65, and the Konix.  All 3 were superb in their own ways.  C65 there's a LLE but of course no software apart from basic stuff.  Konix, there's a cracking emulator for it, HLE, but not much available, even LN2 is brilliant, I've seen and heard it, but the person who has the dev disks won't release it for fear off being sued by John Twiddy!  (30 years on, I've told him, I doubt System 3 care anymore ).  Loki, nothing exists.  Lookwise it came out as the +2, but that's all.  The hardware was improved and used in the Konix!

Real computers, I had them all at their peak.  Spectrum 82-86, C64 83-88, ST 87-89, Amiga 87-92.  Not bothered about the consoles.

Used to have a massive retro collection.  sp 48, sp 128, +2, +3.  C64, c64c, c128d, cpc6128, st, amiga etc, all modded with sd drives, flogged the lot when I had to for financial reasons and now have every 8 and 16bit computer on a FPGA.  Switch from Jupiter Ace to Amiga at the touch of a button etc.

NQ.

Thats a sweet résumé NQ , My old dears didnt take to the new tech well , their view were tvs were bad , hence computer games were like crack to kids , remember when people knew exactly how many hours of tv they watched , and boasted low hours . You mentioned some stuff im going to google :) , loki ? . been playing a wow action max emu , its a console that runs alongside a vhs , its got a great blue thunder game . 

Sinclair Loki was being worked on, but then scrapped when AMS Bought Sinclair in 86.  The case was used in the plus 2, and the hardware inside became the Konix.

If the Loki / Konix came out in 86 it would have been superb.  When I saw the Konix at the PCW Show in 89, it was already too late then, 16bits had taken over.  Same for the SAM, just released too late.

NQ.

• 3 weeks later...