Desert Island Retro

what games did you play on this console - SNES, super nintendo/famicom ??

char042102

which SNES super nintendo/famicom  games did you like ??

one of my absolute favs was ganbare goeman or known as the legend of the mystical ninja in the west

there was so much to do in this game inc bosses and mini games like gambling on dice,horses or entering a maze finding treasure and very much later in the game some wonderful water levels and all round quirkiness. a true gem of a game I highly recommend it.

lotmn-1.jpg.688c1a9c1920e989cef132d980b61f8b.jpgmaxresdefault.thumb.jpg.66a5f96cff44f35f98759c09228b3939.jpg85472-the-legend-of-the-mystical-ninja-snes-screenshot-at-the-entrance.png.3ddae37baf658a271272ec21af1133dc.png283528986_MysticalNinjashot02.png.45768c5d18e79e2c38fb09f8ac44ae51.png21564236_LegendofTheMysticalNinjaThe(U)0712.png.86e07152a89045666730b1cafb19e30e.png1977572677_imagesf.jpeg.b7c63e49cb9a0beffb13e15b8d9e9ae2.jpeg1968147109_LegendofTheMysticalNinjaThe(U)176.png.35a50fc1de390f9540ca39cfb164f66a.pngLegend-of-the-Mystical-Ninja-Level-6-Tengu-Mountain-5.png.73d5d23a2a3126486728e94f3b509d8d.pngimages.jpeg.5a5769335517852e98fe8b7c2b0333b4.jpegLegend-of-the-Mystical-Ninja-Level-7-Izumo-Taisha-1.png.648ac61f13a2ee186e028967b2494924.png1570595894_34376-Legend_of_the_Mystical_Ninja_The_(USA)-2.jpg.87d28ebe79c085d9af5da152a4548b5c.jpg

and this one  Sküljagger - Revolt of the Westicans  

it was a pirate themed platform game ,I remember

you could blow a bubblegum and float round the screen and get higher in the air the larger you blew up the bubble but careful not to pop it lol

35343-Skuljagger_-_Revolt_of_the_Westicans_(USA)-1459743087.png.15d5ce10adf959707d74a0022fd5fd3b.png329826-skuljagger-revolt-of-the-westicans-snes-screenshot-floating.png.acac75b0c56555de17fb26835e5e67de.pngskul-jagger-13.thumb.png.9c6fe5b8837b70ec08349d12a42605c4.png

The SNES had some wonderful games and also some really messed up ones.

There is a selection of R-Type style games ( at least that's what I think they were meant to be ) that look like the authors have been whacked out their heads forever on when you can fly as a cat or god knows what else.  Take a look at this...  ...I think the cat is called Mike...

Never owned either, but via emulation on my PC, I discovered Donkey Kong Country. Played it for hours and hours, not playing anything else on my PC for a few weeks. Sadly it got too hard towards the end for me and I never quite finished it.

Played some games via emulation over the past couple of years on my GPD XD, but none I can recall getting that much into. 

I also remember having a good laugh with a few teenagers on one of the Street Fighter games on the SNES around an old girlfriends sisters place.

I recently decided to collect the mini console/computers. So I got a NES and SNES mini, but haven't even opened them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it has to be super mario world on the snes what a game when that came out spent 3 days mastering it but never managed to get the  100th room  knew where it was just couldn't work out how to get in it ,Super  Bomber-man was another I liked (I think it was called that I know it had Bomber-man in the title) 

• 11 months later...

Anyone come across one of these Famicom units? I think they are some sort of Chinese rip-off of the old Nintendo Family Computer. Like an original Japanese NES unit. They come with 2 reasonable joypads, plus a cartridge with hundreds of games on. Ironically, the bloody thing doesnt run with the cart in but runs fine with it removed. You need to have a TV capable of recieving RCA composite video (you know, those 3 jack connectors comprising of a yellow video jack and a red jack and white jack for audio). My SONY Bravia KD55 OLED UHD TV won't accept the video signal without a RCA to HDMI converter. My LG HDTV works fine provided you don't plug the cartridge in whilst the console is switched on. There must be some RAM on the Famicom unit as all the games on the cart are accessible on the console without the cart plugged in. I suspect that if you power up the unit with the cart in, the games are transferred to the console. But it seems you have to remove the cart to play the games. Theres plenty of original NES games on this unit, but the weird thing, theres Galaga, Space Invaders and other MAME games in the list leading me to believe theres some sort of MAME emulator on board. I'm pretty sure that this alone proves that this is some sort of Chinese rip-off.

I bought 2 of em for christmas presents from Cash Converters in sunny Scunny (Scunthorpe) for £40 each. Pretty good value if I'm honest.

thumb_645013_product_catalog_large.jpeg

On 10/11/2018 at 20:55, Reg said:

The SNES had some wonderful games and also some really messed up ones.

There is a selection of R-Type style games ( at least that's what I think they were meant to be ) that look like the authors have been whacked out their heads forever on when you can fly as a cat or god knows what else.  Take a look at this...  ...I think the cat is called Mike...

The history is this is a parody of Gradius and originated on the MSX computer. Basically Konami took virtually every game asset and character from their other games and dumped them into Gradius 

Got an Xbox 360 with backwards compatibility so I can have stuff like Rampage, Defender, Narc, Gauntlet, Smash Tv and various other 80s and 90s retro. Then got the retro fruits machines from places like this. 

The need for want, is not needed!

Edited by Big J

• 4 weeks later...

Used to like the the RPG's , Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were 2 that stood out.

Did own a console when they were current as well.-

These days you can play it on just about anything emulation wise, have a pretty good Hyperspin set but spend more time keeping that updated than playing it.

Pesky kids to blame😀, mine are young and full of beans so not much time.

The eldest (6) asked to play Pacman the other week out of the blue so gave him a bash on Mame so hopefully we will be playing this togther in a few years!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a super nintendo in my sisters loft...

So many good games on it.

Parodius, secret of mana, terranigma, the legend of zelda, donkey kong country, killer instinct, Street fighter 2, turbo, Super, even alpha...though it did pause before each fight iirc,

Pop'n'twinbee, axelay, legend of the mystical ninja, bomberman, actraiser, Super ghouls and ghosts, super castlevania.....man i could go on lol

I didn't mind the megadrive too..... but i hated the audio on it....

Favourite Megedrive game was a game called magical turbo hat adventures... i think it wa remade into decap attack in the UK.

In no particular order, but:

Pilotwings, Mortal Kombat 1-3, SF2, SF2 Turbo, Rival Turf, World Cup Striker, Fifa 96, Fifa International Soccer, ISS, ISS Deluxe, Madden 95, Theme Park, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda ALTTP, Street Racer, Top Gear, Super Tennis, Micro Machines, Killer Instinct, Rise of the Robots (which was a really dull game, but graphically pushing the boundaries), Super Mario Kart, Starwing,

EDIT - more games i remember: Super Ghouls and Ghosts (which had me pulling my hair out), Tiny Toons - Buster Busts Loose, Addams Family - Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt (very pretty but insanely difficult)

There are others, but it was so long ago. I recently purchased a mini SNES which has been modded, which basically has a raspberry pie in it, so it has over 2000 games from various systems on it. So i'm rediscovering my youth, and loving it, and because I never had a master system or a mega drive, i'm exploring what I missed back then

Edited by WonkySausage