Desert Island Retro

Welcome to The Gentlemen's Pixel Club !

Reg

Hello and Welcome !

The first question is, likely what's the point of another site - why am I here ?

• If you found the link from another site then that is already answered - you clicked on it !
  • If you found this site from Desert Island Fruits, then welcome to Desert Island Retro that is hosted on the same platform as Desert Island Fruits.

Why are we here ?

As a group of people we share a common interest...

• We like old stuff.
  • We like retro.
  • We like emulation.
  • We maybe old.

All of us will hit 50% of the above targets - I think that gives us a common agenda.

Desert Island Fruits is built for fruit machine emulation centred around MFME.  We are a niche community and the purpose of this Desert Island Retro is to give us a platform to talk about other retro items while allowing Desert Island Fruits to focus on fruit machines.  The reality is, you are simply on a sub-part of Desert Island Fruits, the same way that DX'Cellent works.

This site maybe a slow burner on the retro area, however going forwards if people join Desert Island Retro to talk about all things retro, they may well get involved in fruit machine emulation as well - that is a win - win.  There is a permenant link to Desert Island Fruits at the bottom of the main forum.

Simply presently when you sign up for Desert Island Fruits, you also sign up for DX'Cellent that is hosted for @Pook.  The membership is shared.  Going forward you will now also sign up for Desert Island Retro which is considered an affiliate site of Desert Island Fruits.  There is no split - there is no change in direction for Desert Island Fruits, we are simply giving something else here that can also be ignored if you choose - it is ring-fenced apart from the shared membership.

Speaking of ring-fencing, great care has gone to make sure that none of the work on Desert Island Retro will bleed into Desert Island Fruit in terms of portal use or anything like that. This is it's own entity sitting on the same platform as Desert Island Fruits and simply sharing the membership.

This means rather then two sites for membership at DX'Cellent or Desert Island Fruits, you now get three.

Desert Island Fruits has a donation system running.  None of the money there has gone to this site in terms of this has cost nothing to do from the pool of money raised to support Desert Island Fruits.  The only cost was the domain name and personal time of people that have beta tested this new area and done the logo. The cost of the domain name is purely on me.  A great call out to @A:E for doing the logo for me.  I will leave the donation block on the portal of Desert Island Retro - if the existance of this supports Desert Island Fruits by more funding, then again everybody wins.

Desert Island Retro has it's own YouTube channel setup - I will post the odd thing on the Desert Island Fruits Twitter or Facebook feeds, but those are bonus support systems rather then the core site.

I hope you enjoy Desert Island Retro, this is not just another emulation site, it is an extension of a great community with peers that have a common interest.

If you have no interest in this - than please excuse the single reference point as Desert Island Fruit that links to this hosted area.

If you wish to go here directly...

www.desertislandretro.com

Thank you for your time.

Reg.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

Thank you both - I've actually wanted to do this for some time and been working on and off for a while on this.

If this brings members to Desert Island Fruits who will also enjoy emulation then all in all - it's a win win.

I do expect this to be slow to start off with as I am not really pushing it from a public point of view and it maybe word of month and people doing searches and posting if there is anything they would like to contribuite with.  That being said, this is also why it was a wise choice linking it with another site.

I hope you enjoy your stay - I would love to reply to every thread what gets posted but it'll look mad with "Reg", "Reg" and "Reg" on the portal so I so plan on sitting back and watching this grow - we have all the time in the world here. :)

Brilliant idea.  Hope it because a great site like it's big brother DIF.

(Is there an off topic area at DIF or the likes?  Like a lounge or something?  I know there is a lounge here but I meant a more general lounge for 'banter' about anything..)

Edited by Geddy
  • Thanks 1

Not Retired from FME June 2022

2 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Brilliant idea.  Hope it because a great site like it's big brother DIF.

(Is there an off topic area at DIF or the likes?  Like a lounge or something?  I know there is a lounge here but I meant a more general lounge for 'banter' about anything..)

Yes, here you can use the Bowie Lounge below, I've just moved the Old Skool Gaming from DIF to here.

Over at DIF, you have this area Link.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Nice thinking reg , i think like cars , people have their first computer , its a special thing . I remember the first computer game i played , round me mates , it was Nifty lifty , on a speccy +2 . When my biggest choice in life was what flavour of hubba bubba too get :) ,  good times , ive still got a callous on my hand from trying to beat combat school , with a speedking joystick .

• Like 1

Thank you all for the continued positive feedback for this site.

I have to say, I just build the enviorment here and it really is each of you - the membership that help make hosted sites like this Desert Island Retro what it is.  The content I will be producing here will be videos - but the more important content is what each of you make within this community ( and others also not on this thread who have also posted ).

I am beyond delighted with how this has gone within the first 24 hours - good people are using it and that's all I can ask for.  All the membership we have here is good.

To everyone who has posted at Desert Island Retro over the past 24 hours, from my heart, thank you very much.

To everyone at Desert Island Fruit or DX'Cellent who is part of the core membership that is linked here - thank you for your support of Desert Island Retro and DX'Cellent.

The magic of this site is it cost nothing in costs to setup and maintain.  I am already maintaining Desert Island Fruit and DX'Cellent, this is no harder to do this either.  The support we have for Desert Island Fruit in terms of donations means that this site will be here as long as Desert Island Fruit remains.  That site is not going away and this site will continue to exisit as well.

12 hours ago, Marlon36 said:

An excellent idea Reg! It's always a pleasure to take a trip down retro memory lane. ☺️

Thank you !

There is one danager with memory lane tho - I warn you all now - it can often lead to eBay purchases to relive those memories !

Have your credit cards well prepared...

• Haha 1

Yes indeed - but at least with emulation we can relive parts of it until the point where you want the real thing.

I truely regret some of the things I have lost along the way "nope - won't need that anymore"... ...years later, "bugger"!

Hi Reg, well done here really do like the retro stuff of years gone by. Funny how we miss stuff when its gone, and we all say if only i would of kept that. But everything from childhood days from music to tv to sweets and toys that have long gone but not forgotten.

Look forward to getting involved here and enjoying memories.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Reg changed the title to Welcome to The Gentlemen's Pixel Club !