Desert Island Retro

ZX Spectrum Next

Reg

Jammy git.  I had to cancel my kickstarter payment for the basic next + case.   Going to buy a Uno+ or similar with the next core only about 50 core and it emulates 20 computers on a massive FPGA.  Roms are out there, it's already emulated.

That said, it won't emulate the 3 AY chips, heard a demo on YT, 3 AY chips, 9 channels on the Next, bloody brilliant.

Would have been sooo good to have the real thing with the Rick D casing.  Never mind.

Talking Spectrum, I backed the Mastertronic book ages ago, and thats being released soon....I'll scan the page on the QFTGE.  :)

NQ.

• 4 months later...

In lieu of the ZX Spectrum Next arriving at some point in the future went in the loft ot get the last remains of any Spectrum stuff I had out then fancied a go on an emulator.

Came across this gem, play on 128K emulation. 

If you like Indiana Jones and you like Monty Mole, this is a fun few minutes. :)

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.88559b909a8f803ccb97ceaf0e3089f8.jpg

MontyMole_TLS.zip

• Like 1

cool  thanks

Monty Mole and Temple of Lost Souls, never knew about this 

did you ever play

mutant monty,

wanted monty mole,

monty is innocent

auf wiedersehen monty

monty on the run

What games are they going to do on the ZX Spectrum Next ?

are they going to make classic zx game revamps or completely new material ?

6 minutes ago, fatdad said:

still have my zx spectrums in the attic along with all my games...even still have all my speccy books.....

used to play so much i new the sound of a game failing to load by the tones...

dont forget fruit machine simulator on the speccy...

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

The fruit machine that I always enjoyed before MFME was on the Amiga, it was Dirty Cash.

11 hours ago, char042102 said:

cool  thanks

Monty Mole and Temple of Lost Souls, never knew about this 

did you ever play

mutant monty,

wanted monty mole,

monty is innocent

auf wiedersehen monty

monty on the run

What games are they going to do on the ZX Spectrum Next ?

are they going to make classic zx game revamps or completely new material ?

The Lost Souls is a fan made game, but yes played a few of those.

Wanted Monty Mole being the first and probably the best for me - I always liked the Arthur Scargill inspired character at the first screen.  Plus I could get quite far into it.

There is some new stuff coming out - the company that did Dungeonette has more titles it's getting back into stock soon.  It is going to be a niche area to be honest with no doubt the products ( at least when they ship with the cases going for a stupid price on eBay ).  However as I grew up with the Spectrum and I never got used to the fact on US Gold type games the screens were not the Spectrum ones in some cases on the back of the cassette - back then it was a lottery as to how good / bad the game would be.

I think back in the day - as kids - our imaginations filled in the gaps when the graphics were not so hot in some areas.

• Thanks 2
  • Awesome 1

thanks for the info Reg,I'll have to give that lost souls a bash sometime.

wanted monty mole was really hard due to the crushers and afaik no repeating pattern,i remember you literally just had to chance it lol   :9_innocent:

I got as far as the where I put the green arrow but didn't know how to get past the miners hat,it killed me lol.I presume you have to collect all the items till you get there but some items were booby trapped and killed you I seem to recall.

2128035337_MontyMole1.thumb.PNG.18c1f7f70fc0e2b2b96e1bf6a4c73d24.PNG

you prolly know there is a good PC remake for it but just in case you don't have it,here's a link

http://www.spacetimegames.co.uk/iframe/monty.htm

some comparison screenshots

monty3.gif.3ded4f5c6f372f1d15fbfc2021ada755.gif       wanted1.thumb.png.2084504025f2b263c9a15ccb8dd077c2.png

I'll take a further look into what this zx spectrum next can do for curiousity purposes, cheers for the info you gave.

I totally agree it was a hit or miss affair with the back cover screenshots ,more often,well  virtually nearly always very misleading on a lot of titles but some to be fair were "actual screenshots"

this one mislead me for example

48yiearkungfu1.jpg.39153bc91561282fcb309c0fa283b5c8.jpg

because these are what you actually got,but with the heralding of mame ,all that can now be forgiven and forgotten thankfully

index.png.3a94610af8a9472dcd43a0add03d95f1.pngindex2.png.80f6576dc67343a4803d8ddada3bae2b.png

by the way exactly right what you said about using our imagination to fill in the blanks, I think the fact we could play "any" computer

game at home at all  (despite the lack of great graphics and stereo audio) we kind of  allowed ourselves to overlook those short comings.I was very grateful for what we had back then but as of the way things are now,I'm hugely grateful where we are today with emulation and current gen games. absolutely awesome it is.

@fatdad I remember that spectrum slot you uploaded,it was by codemasters wasn't it. nice little sim back then

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1