MFME Keyboard build MK1

Dis

So after a month of getting my head around PC's and just enjoying some of the retro fruits and, not to forget, the newer machines, I have finally cracked on with a keyboard.

Apart from a couple of sleepless nights getting my head around programming the iPac2 and PacDrive its now complete and I have attached a couple of photos below.

I reckon the whole exercise has cost around £70 (good old ebay) which does show but TBF I didnt want to spend big in case it was an unmitigated disaster.

Got to put out my thanks out to Reg for doing all the groundwork with his guide and, not to forget, a lot of the contributors on this forum where I gleaned the machinations of setting up the Ipac2 & PacDrive.

Next step is to just enjoy the fruitys and maybe in the summer start work on a MK2 version. If anybody is interested, having played around with chipboard & MDF for the panel, I ended up using DiBond (generally used for large 'coming soon' hoarding signs) which is very rigid and easy to cut and drill (literally you score and bend it to cut and a standard drill bit goes through it like butter). Not only does it save a load of weight it can also be printed on, so my MK2 panel will have logos etc on it.

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

• Like 7
  • Awesome 3

Thanks, the compliments are much appreciated but have to say that the photo is very flattering. I had a touch with the buttons having picked 25 up on ebay for tenner & just got a pack of mixed colour acetate sheets & cut them to size to replace the original decals. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Y33tzy said:

Looks great!! Did you follow a guide for the build? If so would you mind sending the link? This looks like a great first project for me. 

Yes, I wrote it.

Looks like it came out VERY WELL - you should be pleased @Dis.

Here is the original thread...

• Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 12:16, Dis said:

So after a month of getting my head around PC's and just enjoying some of the retro fruits and, not to forget, the newer machines, I have finally cracked on with a keyboard.

Apart from a couple of sleepless nights getting my head around programming the iPac2 and PacDrive its now complete and I have attached a couple of photos below.

I reckon the whole exercise has cost around £70 (good old ebay) which does show but TBF I didnt want to spend big in case it was an unmitigated disaster.

Got to put out my thanks out to Reg for doing all the groundwork with his guide and, not to forget, a lot of the contributors on this forum where I gleaned the machinations of setting up the Ipac2 & PacDrive.

Next step is to just enjoy the fruitys and maybe in the summer start work on a MK2 version. If anybody is interested, having played around with chipboard & MDF for the panel, I ended up using DiBond (generally used for large 'coming soon' hoarding signs) which is very rigid and easy to cut and drill (literally you score and bend it to cut and a standard drill bit goes through it like butter). Not only does it save a load of weight it can also be printed on, so my MK2 panel will have logos etc on it.

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

These are always so cool to share - thanks for the pics. :)

Nice MFME Keyboard you made there, @Dis - nothing like having real light up buttons is there!

@Y33tzy There are also a few threads in the cabinet building section that show people's MFME keyboard (and Cabinet) builds - my MFME Keyboard thread is here, if you fancy a look. - can't wait to see what you come up with!

All the best,

Gary.

🟥🟨🟩🟦     

🟡🔴🔴🔴⚪🔵🟢🟠

19 hours ago, Reg said:

These are always so cool to share - thanks for the pics. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with your plans, I would never of thought of doing this without your contribution. It was great fun making and I am now planning a plug in 'bolt on' box with arcade buttons & joystick, so I can play some older MAME games. Boy did you open a new world for me!

18 hours ago, jabbathehut said:

Fabulous.Mine is still housed in cardboard.

Thanks for the compliment and TBH, it doesn't matter how its put/held together, as long as it works, thats all that really counts. Besides I'm currently planning on putting a games keyboard together (joystick and buttons)that plugs into my box so I can play some old MAME games (Galaxian, Galaga etc) so I may end up revising it all at the end of the day anyhow 😁

19 hours ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Nice MFME Keyboard you made there, @Dis - nothing like having real light up buttons is there!

@Y33tzy There are also a few threads in the cabinet building section that show people's MFME keyboard (and Cabinet) builds - my MFME Keyboard thread is here, if you fancy a look. - can't wait to see what you come up with!

All the best,

Gary.

🟥🟨🟩🟦     

🟡🔴🔴🔴⚪🔵🟢🟠

Hi Gary

Thanks for the compliments and I will happilly put my hands up and say that I followed your thread and loved your layout especially with the different style buttons.

TBH I skimped on my layout as, though I was pretty sure of myself on the hardware/wiring, I was less convinced about my ability to get my head around the Windows/MFME side of things and didn't want to waste a load of money in case it went 'tits up'. I suspect in the not distant future I'll have a redesign and use a few of those buttons myself.

Gotta say that I am loving playing long forgotten machines and it beats playing the rubbish out there nowadays.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1