Is it possible for all fruit machine emulation sites to join force's?

Ze Frog

What are the odds of the various sites pooling resources and uniting to a degree?

I must admit, being new to the scene it's probably a bit out of place for me to comment really, but does seem there is rivalry, competition, distrust and possibly grudges against certain sites.

Wouldn't it be possible for the leaders of these sites to kind of maybe form an alliance etc where resources and content can be shared across all, kind of like a round table of emulations leaders and creator's?

I do see Fruit Emu get ripped a bit on here for example, and I've no idea why, although I'm certain there are reasons which are valid. Seems like if somehow these sites could reach a common understanding we could likely really benefit as a community no matter which site we belong to.

Seems kind of crazy when one site has ROM's and another say artwork or sound ROM's that they are possibly sat idle while awaiting all the ingredients to turn up at specific site. Also emulation really probably hasn't even really begun yet, I didn't even know it existed until 5 minutes before signing up here. I think it's a thing that hasn't reached peak growth yet, bit as the arcade slowly does a complete death, well the fruit machine especially, it's likely to really become far more popular even of from a historical curiosity to some.

Like I say, I don't know the reasons, and I hope I haven't spoke out of place. Despite being new to the scene it's really something that I wish I knew about sooner, the fact all this exists is absolutely incredible and is much appreciated. I only speak out of wanting this to continue to thrive and be around for all those others that would so desperately appreciate the hard work and genius of Wizard and the incredible artists who make it so.

• Like 1

Behind the scenes we're all one big happy family apart from Fruit Emu who's owner doesn't seem to care anymore.  DIF, the Mecca, DXcellent and DADsFME are very closely linked as we (the site owners) all go way back and a mutual trust and friendship now exists. 

As for resources, there's nothing at FE that can't be found here so I wouldn't worry.  All the active creators have access to what they need and if anything new comes up such as artwork or roms they're always shared and made available to those who want them.  The days of hoarding stuff thankfully seems to have long gone.

• Like 6

To me there are two 100 percent fme sites that is here and dadsfme, dxcellent is more of a layout launchpad for pook which was also a site i viseted regularly. The mecca is in its own way a fme archive but it switched to more of a collectors club, so yeah there are 3. Fruit emu well that place is dead in the water, owner didn't give a fuck about the place or its membership.

Edited by Tommy c
  • Like 1

We pretty much move forward all the time, Fruitemu is just littered with old and outdated layouts. Even then, everything there should be in the legacy section.

40 minutes ago, spa said:

We pretty much move forward all the time, Fruitemu is just littered with old and outdated layouts. Even then, everything there should be in the legacy section.

The mecca does have the odd retro rom turn up now and again but as others state, it’s mainly for old farts to remiss about their collections although I do drool over the images they upload of their machines/collections 

and have obtained images in the past for those machines like sevens n melons, super two, blackjack, jackpot sevens and loads of others 

its  mainly there or here for resources wise

• Like 1

I guess I got the wrong impression.😂

Just saw the negative comments regarding Fruit-Emu and assumed it was a kind of rivalry or dispute that may be wider. Should have remembered that assume saying of it makes an ass out of you and me.

Good to know the community as a whole is actually very cooperative, I did hear it was a bit wild west back in the day.

As for members of Fruit-Emu, have many came over to here? I'm amazed there is'nt a far bigger community than there is, deserves a far bigger following, its an interactive museum.

I plan to make Youtube videos at some point, not about tricks or methods, Degsy and Cheerful Pessimist are infinitely more knowledgable on that front, watching their videos makes me feel like a complete cluey.😂 I plan on making vdeos kind of reviewing the machines and just playing them while talking in a standard fashion like the majority would play. Idea is to make videos whereby its a look back to the times that were different and also focus on the tourist industry and seaside as well, kind of a trip down British seaside holiday memory lane. I want to try and drum up interest in those that would'nt actively seek out emulation and appeal to those with fond memories of the seaside holiday from their youth etc. Obviously I will check for permission before using any layouts.

Edited by Dawlish09

30 minutes ago, Dawlish09 said:

I guess I got the wrong impression.😂

Just saw the negative comments regarding Fruit-Emu and assumed it was a kind of rivalry or dispute that may be wider. Should have remembered that assume saying of it makes an ass out of you and me.

Good to know the community as a whole is actually very cooperative, I did hear it was a bit wild west back in the day.

As for members of Fruit-Emu, have many came over to here? I'm amazed there is'nt a far bigger community than there is, deserves a far bigger following, its an interactive museum.

I plan to make Youtube videos at some point, not about tricks or methods, Degsy and Cheerful Pessimist are infinitely more knowledgable on that front, watching their videos makes me feel like a complete cluey.😂 I plan on making vdeos kind of reviewing the machines and just playing them while talking in a standard fashion like the majority would play. Idea is to make videos whereby its a look back to the times that were different and also focus on the tourist industry and seaside as well, kind of a trip down British seaside holiday memory lane. I want to try and drum up interest in those that would'nt actively seek out emulation and appeal to those with fond memories of the seaside holiday from their youth etc. Obviously I will check for permission before using any layouts.

All the FME forums, have at one time been the main focus of the scene.

Everyone has had their favourite. 

The now gone MPU/Fruit Forums, was the biggest for years. It's downfall was the leaked emulator. But not overnight, but over a few years. 

Then when the new era of FME started in 2016, the MPU Mecca, came to the front, when development of MFME was there. 

Fruit-Emu, which had been around, had a noobs reputation, because of the amount of requests for Crazy Fruits and Deal Or No Deals, well before they were emulated. But for years, a close second to Fruit Forums and it came to the front, when Wizard started posting there and the vast majority of releases were released only there. 

Then when Wizard chose here for MFME development, this site became the most focus. 

Should this site close, then in a flash I'd suspect it would largely be fruit-emu, where releases were made. The Mecca crowd, are more into real machines than emulation. 

Dads has nearly always been there, but largely in the background. I'd imagine only if the other 3 sites were to close, it would be the forums of choice. Mainly because I still don't think some people know it exists and has several exclusive releases. 

• Like 2

Good topic, I've often wondered why Fruit Emu died so badly, and why DiF and MPU Mecca don't merge because I can't really see the difference (to an untrained eye). 

Yes, I appreciate there was some perceived admin militancy which put people off, but when you run this type of thing you really do need to keep your nose clean these days, so I get it. Some people are just short tempted and rude, especially online, and it's not necessary nor welcome. 

Quite a few people have taken to using Facebook as a pseudo forum too, which sort of works, but I prefer this type of thing personally. 

• Like 1

About me: Arcade, Pinball & Fruit machine fan. 

At home: 7x Pinballs (90's to present day - Fish Tails to Metallica), JPM Monopoly60th (£10), Astra Reel Stampede (£10), Astra Double Jackpot (£5/£15), Astra Ready to Roll (£10/£5) & Astra Classic Slot (£15) bartop. 

Looking for: Astra Bartops, JPM Big50, Big Banker, Big Bucks, Money Talks & Maverick.