FruitBar Web

appstrader

I have an idea, 

What if I could develop a web based front end that is a system you just configure your roms and things and the web provides all the images and graphics with minimal configuration.

What if you could move elements around the screen to where you want them so in effect you design your screen so the video will go here, the static image goes here, etc....

So there would be a design mode and a run time mode, in run time mode you just scroll through your roms online and select to play with all the media being provided online.

The system would not provide any roms just the media, images, video's, etc

I would also look at different resolution of images and videos for the lucky people using 4k, 1080p, etc 

Sure its a fair amount of work but wondering what peoples thoughts are on this ?

I have written some software that actually uses a similar infrastructure to what is required to build this so I dont see this as a massive issue to built a test system with a couple of games, etc.

But why stop with fruit machines, the system could basically serve all the media for all the emulation systems and individual roms, as i'm sure a system like this would certainly mass a lot of user submissions

The video is a quick web front end, so the images are just static images just to test the system currently but it hopefully gives some ideal of what I am posting, also started a new thread incase I add more energy into this project.

Unfortunately a system like this would come at a cost for the hosting simply due to the storage that will be required and the bandwidth to service the media so i'm wondering if such a system is something of interest?

• Like 4

1302030681_fruitbarnewlogo.png.b4072d66bdb5dfc556f436340bf9fce5.png 

MFME & MAME Frontend software https://fruitcade.co.uk

Sounds interesting, but in reality what would you imagine the costs to be for the end user? A few years back someone did a similar thing with an arcade/console front end that would download the images and videos for the roms. It lasted about 3 months. I don't know if it was problems with how it worked or how much it cost to run though.

You have to bear in mind that MFME is pretty niche, so revenue will be limited and if you venture into mame, consoles, hand helds etc you will need millions of images/videos and then someone will always complain that you haven't got an image for some rare Japanese NES cart that sold 3 copies back in the day!

Hi Davep180 and anyone interested in this idea,

I was thinking of hosting all the images and videos certainly for mfme and building up system by system my initial thoughts are a £1 or so a month, I used to have a dedicated server for selling iOS apps and hosted all the images for all the apps in 13 different languages it would be over a million apps so i'm used to hosting a lot of images and things also did another site for reselling apple movies so hosted a lot of images of cast and movie posters, etc.

I was thinking if I wrote this Im guessing there would be people that would upload and share their custom media, some people just like to create images and share.

It's quite a bit of work to build this as it is quite a big project as I would need to build the web system to allow submissions and the other side where the images and things are provided to the gamers, so a totally bespoke system a one off.

Although I built the sample as shown in the video it is a demo this is still an idea, so welcome any comments on this.

1302030681_fruitbarnewlogo.png.b4072d66bdb5dfc556f436340bf9fce5.png 

MFME & MAME Frontend software https://fruitcade.co.uk