S4 machines Without Sound ROMs- The Future Of MFME

SocialDragon368

In the history notes of MFME V20.1 you may find out this change....
Allow S4 games with missing Sound ROMs to run (Reports Wrong Snd Err instead of No Sound Err)

.... and if you think about the Scorpion 4 games that are not emulated, you think "Why is there not a layout for it?"

Well this has been a issue for people who knew these machines can run without the sound roms. This is a bigger hole that needs to be filled.

If anyone has a rom set but doesn't have the sound roms for the actual machine, it can still be emulated.

If anyone who fancies taking on a layout for a unemulated machine but doesn't know what the machine looks like, but has no sound roms,  it can still be emulated.

This is a topic the people of FME haven't been talking about for a while and thanks to the people who knew Wizard died, this still is a hole that needs to be filled.

There are many machines from the world of MFME without sound roms that are Scorpion 4 that need to be emulated. If the roms for a Scorpion 4 game aren't complete with sound ROMs, then, Yes, it can still be emulated.

With that last parting gift that Wizard had, you are all free to create Scorpion 4 games, without sound roms, even if they do not know what they look like, to emulated. 

And as you know, you could create a feel of a natural arcade without the sound effects and background music of the machine.

Again, this hole has to be filled in. Scorpion 4 games can now run sound romless and if you follow that rule, think of what unemulated Scorpion 4 machines can be emulated (including the £5 variants if you choose to do them).

Part of the SD368 Group

Maybe you could produce a list of Scorpion 4 machines without sound roms, or incorrect roms. 

People can see if the sounds have turned up since the layout has been released. 

Anyone thinking of doing a Scorpion 4 layout with incorrect sounds, not all sounds are compatible.

You may also get lock ups where the machine expects sounds. 

30 minutes ago, wearecity said:

Maybe you could produce a list of Scorpion 4 machines without sound roms, or incorrect roms. 

People can see if the sounds have turned up since the layout has been released. 

Anyone thinking of doing a Scorpion 4 layout with incorrect sounds, not all sounds are compatible.

You may also get lock ups where the machine expects sounds. 

Is it epoch that really won’t have it without sounds,

living the dream

16 minutes ago, woodsy said:

Is it epoch that really won’t have it without sounds,

Only Epoch machines, I've found that don't like being mute, seem to be some Global machines. Not had any issues, with other manufactures. Licence to Thrill, is one I started on, but then it locks up. Might try it with incorrect sounds one day, with the volume turned down to 0.

Even then, it's touch and go, you might think everything is fine, but then the machine, will lock up on certain features. So only when playtesting after spending a few hours on getting the basics sorted, might the issue come to light.

When it comes to the Scorpion 4 machines, I seem to remember, that sometimes, you have to try several different sound roms from other machines, before, finding one that will run. It's possibly to do with the size of the roms.

Normally they complain on boot up, with a wrong snd err, but then carry on regardless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Altharic said:

You are lucky if folks download a classic you are pissing gold if you can get them to download a mute classic!!

LOL, very true, even I don't usually bother with most classics. Layouts I create myself, I generally don't ever load them up again.

My mute Epoch classics, get between 20-40 downloads.

I create them, because a lot of people won't and it will make it easier if/when the artwork, sounds turn up.

Sounds have turned up for Holy Smoke, Trailblazer, Pounds Of The Baskervilles and most recently Hog Money.

Also at least the machine is out there for those who download everything.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, wearecity said:

LOL, very true, even I don't usually bother with most classics. Layouts I create myself, I generally don't ever load them up again.

My mute Epoch classics, get between 20-40 downloads.

I create them, because a lot of people won't and it will make it easier if/when the artwork, sounds turn up.

Sounds have turned up for Holy Smoke, Trailblazer, Pounds Of The Baskervilles and most recently Hog Money.

Also at least the machine is out there for those who download everything.

I’m one of the 40, mute or not, most of them are unheard of games from my era, so I like to try them.. granted not for long but your efforts are not in vain

living the dream

To show that it works, I tested the roms for a game called Wadzilla. This game has a band reel, and no sound roms, but as discussed earlier, it will run without sound roms. 

The same should also go for Scorpion 5 roms, but if anyone has tried it please let me know.

A quick question: Is anyone planning to do these mute Scorpion 4 layouts without sound roms? 

Part of the SD368 Group

I'm always looking at new machines to do, when I have the time. 

But with my work, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, which is why I'm still trying to finish Epoch, Trivial Pursuit.

As I said before, if you give us a list of unemulated machines, with program roms available, but no sound, it would be useful.

Also any links to pictures/flyers, even small ones of these unemulated Scorpion 4 machines, it would help as well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to @wearecity with his Adrenalin layout, just one layout we can emulate without sounds. As @wearecity said, these sc4 machines without sound will show a wrong sound error, it will just clear and continue loading. This goes for any sc4 layout without sounds. And there may be more that that person can do.

Part of the SD368 Group