Cube Hopper MK2

davep180

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, madgerald1974 said:

Hi davep. I'm sorry for the very slow reply. I hope I'm not too late. I use these hoppers in my setup. Set to £1 and 10p. They work a treat. You will most definitely need relays. Happy to help with wiring diagrams etc if you need it?

I should add mine are the parallel type not cctalk.

Thanks for the reply. I got my Azkoyens repaired at Maggi in the end. Don't suppose you could post a wiring diagram, and maybe some pics of how you set them up could you? The Azkoyens are getting expensive now, and any alternative hoppers for new builds will be greatly received. I will be posting (when I get time to do it properly) a diagram and photo guide to setting up a MK4 Coin Controls Hopper that @WibbleWobbledid for me a while back. It would be great to have the resources here, for as many hopper setups as possible, to help future generations of cabinet builder.

Kind regards,

Dave

• Like 1

Sure, i've made a jpg wiring diagram of my system. See attached.

The relays I used are HL-52s which are easily available from ebay or amazon etc. They are powered / grounded from the 5v / gnd pins in the centre of the ipac labelled for  trackball.

You can see the pacdrive will first send the payout signal to the relay (green wire), which will then close the 12v circuit and power the hopper (red / orange wire), which then sends a coin issued signal back to the other relay (blue wire) which closes the circuit and signals the ipac (yellow wire) and that generates the required [ or ] to acknowledge the coin.

Hope that helps. Shout me for any questions and If i can help, I will :)

cheers

cube_wiring.jpg

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, davep180 said:

That's absolutely great @madgerald1974It opens up more hopper opportunities for anyone else attempting a cabinet build. Many thanks.

23 hours ago, madgerald1974 said:

Sure, i've made a jpg wiring diagram of my system. See attached.

The relays I used are HL-52s which are easily available from ebay or amazon etc. They are powered / grounded from the 5v / gnd pins in the centre of the ipac labelled for  trackball.

You can see the pacdrive will first send the payout signal to the relay (green wire), which will then close the 12v circuit and power the hopper (red / orange wire), which then sends a coin issued signal back to the other relay (blue wire) which closes the circuit and signals the ipac (yellow wire) and that generates the required [ or ] to acknowledge the coin.

Hope that helps. Shout me for any questions and If i can help, I will :)

cheers

cube_wiring.jpg

looks like a spaghetti bolognese imo.. but i like the optimistic side of dave sometimes!!

living the dream

Awesome stuff, this... will eventually come in handy for a cabinet build i'm hoping to make (once i've paid the bank back the grand i owe them first)

When i do make a cab, I would probably want it to pay out £1's , 20p's , 10p's , 2p's - (and would want it to pay any token wins in 20p's cash).

so, with 4 types of coin would that mean i'd need 4 of these cube hoppers? Given the fact i've already bought 31 buttons for the future cab (maybe more when i've give it more thought), i'd imagine i'd be having to use 4 Pacdrives for it.

I decided i'd use 12v LEDs for the buttons thinking they'd be brighter than the 5v ones i have on my MFME keyboard...

That's what i hope to do in the future anyway and that wiring diagram will come in very handy indeed , so thank you for posting it, @madgerald1974

Also, where do you buy the cube hoppers from, @davep180? and are they even able to dispense 2p's ?

Cheers in advance for any info... it will be most useful.

All the best,

Gary.

🟡🟡🔴🔴🔴🔴🔵🟢🟠

11 hours ago, woodsy said:

looks like a spaghetti bolognese imo.. but i like the optimistic side of dave sometimes!!

Haha yes I agree. Wiring diagrams can look sp overwhelming sometimes. My advice to anyone who feels this way is to not look at the whole picture. Print the sheet if you can, or create an editable inage on your screen of choice. There are 28 terminals to connect for this, just choose a colour wire and focus on that alone. Then after both ends are done you will have 26. Cross off the terminals as you go. You will soon be down to zero and have yourself a working hopper setup :). 

@mpu_five as far as im aware, you can only drive two hoppers because of the coin signal input. Hence why I'm using £1 and 10p. I would love to add 2p payout because as a young lad I pretty much spent my entire two week caravan holidays in the parks amusements on the good old nudge shuffle machines :). You can however add multipliers to the coin output in the settings, so for example if the payout was expecting to deliver a 50p coin you can use this to spit out 5x10p's. There are some 10p play versions on this site of my old 2p favourites so I've compromised and used those instead. When I have more space I will build a second machine dedicated to 10p / 2p payout. 

you will also need relays if you choose to go 12v for your leds. I think the ultimarc website shows how to wire,  or its on here somewhere. Personally i find the 5v more than adequate,  but each to their own.

I took a punt on my cube hoppers, got a box of six off ebay for just 20 quid. The guy just wanted his shelf back!

@davep180 thanks for the kind words. I hope it helps somebody :)

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, madgerald1974 said:

Haha yes I agree. Wiring diagrams can look sp overwhelming sometimes. My advice to anyone who feels this way is to not look at the whole picture. Print the sheet if you can, or create an editable inage on your screen of choice. There are 28 terminals to connect for this, just choose a colour wire and focus on that alone. Then after both ends are done you will have 26. Cross off the terminals as you go. You will soon be down to zero and have yourself a working hopper setup :). 

@mpu_five as far as im aware, you can only drive two hoppers because of the coin signal input. Hence why I'm using £1 and 10p. I would love to add 2p payout because as a young lad I pretty much spent my entire two week caravan holidays in the parks amusements on the good old nudge shuffle machines :). You can however add multipliers to the coin output in the settings, so for example if the payout was expecting to deliver a 50p coin you can use this to spit out 5x10p's. There are some 10p play versions on this site of my old 2p favourites so I've compromised and used those instead. When I have more space I will build a second machine dedicated to 10p / 2p payout. 

you will also need relays if you choose to go 12v for your leds. I think the ultimarc website shows how to wire,  or its on here somewhere. Personally i find the 5v more than adequate,  but each to their own.

I took a punt on my cube hoppers, got a box of six off ebay for just 20 quid. The guy just wanted his shelf back!

@davep180 thanks for the kind words. I hope it helps somebody :)

Thanks for your great advice! I am one who tries to do the maximum just because I know someone else can haha!! 

living the dream

5 hours ago, madgerald1974 said:

@mpu_five as far as im aware, you can only drive two hoppers because of the coin signal input. Hence why I'm using £1 and 10p. I would love to add 2p payout because as a young lad I pretty much spent my entire two week caravan holidays in the parks amusements on the good old nudge shuffle machines :)

You can add extra hopper payouts, so long as the additional payout is a Triac to hopper setting in config, (think old solenoid payout unit) and does not use a multiplier. 
You will need something like an arduino to run the relays to and from the hopper & Ipac/PacDrive. I use the board in my home made change machine to do the same thing, but will use an Arduino on my next version. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

4 hours ago, Amusements said:

You can add extra hopper payouts, so long as the additional payout is a Triac to hopper setting in config, (think old solenoid payout unit) and does not use a multiplier.

OOoh thats interesting. Thank you for the correction Amusements. I will have to look into doing this myself :) 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2022 at 07:42, madgerald1974 said:

Thanks for the reply @madgerald1974 and @Amusements...

Oh bugger! - I didn't realise i'd need relays for the 12v LEDs.... should i order 5v instead then? - I just hoped the 12v would be a bit brighter which is why i chose them, as the bottom main row of buttons are going to be larger 60mm round buttons so thought a brighter LED would do them more justice... this project is probably years away from completion as financially i'm in a bad way at the moment anyway so it's a drip by drip accumulation of parts over time sadly :(

On 15/07/2022 at 13:24, Amusements said:

You will need something like an arduino to run the relays to and from the hopper & Ipac/PacDrive. I use the board in my home made change machine to do the same thing, but will use an Arduino on my next version. 

Wow, so I CAN have 2p, 10p, 20p and £1 all on one cabinet then? Are there any wiring diagrams about showing 4 cube hoppers being connected up for such a project? The Arduino bit may throw me, i'm not very technically minded and like simple stuff cos i'm a simple minded man, sadly! Intel definately not inside! Lol!

Cheers,

Gary.

24 minutes ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Wow, so I CAN have 2p, 10p, 20p and £1 all on one cabinet then? Are there any wiring diagrams about showing 4 cube hoppers being connected up for such a project? The Arduino bit may throw me, i'm not very technically minded and like simple stuff cos i'm a simple minded man, sadly! Intel definately not inside! Lol!

Cheers,

Gary.

Basically yes. All the Arduino has to do, is turn the hopper on when the Pacdrive sends a 5V pulse, and turn off when the opto on the hopper senses a coin exit. I have seen some code on Github to do similar things, so I am sure someone can make some solid code just for an MFME Triac to hopper payout in the future.

Personally I am using a JY-142 Change Machine Board (Link to example only) board to convert the switching of a 5v relay (By the triac 5v output on my 2nd Pacdive) to count up on my change machine, and also pay out as a third MFME hopper.

• Like 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

On 17/07/2022 at 11:58, MPU_FIVE said:

Oh bugger! - I didn't realise i'd need relays for the 12v LEDs.... should i order 5v instead then? - I just hoped the 12v would be a bit brighter which is why i chose them, as the bottom main row of buttons are going to be larger 60mm round buttons so thought a brighter LED would do them more justice... this project is probably years away from completion as financially i'm in a bad way at the moment anyway so it's a drip by drip accumulation of parts over time sadly :(

Depends on your 12v power source, if you are coming direct from the 12v side of your pc power supply you should be fine, but make sure its a beefy enough PSU to handle everything, and your Pacdrive usb cable has  good solid ground on its shielding. The mk2 cube hopper can pull 4A alone at 12v if a coin jams. I've added a screen grab from the Ultimarc site for convenience. But if you choose to get your 12v from a separate power source, then i personally would be running a 5v relay to protect the system. A 16 channel 5v relay module is only about 10 - 15 quid. I know it all adds up though...Screenshot_20220723-074241_Chrome.thumb.jpg.12ba7afa7e24b0981339b21294ff6d66.jpg