Another hopper problem

davep180

On 07/05/2022 at 20:44, MPU_FIVE said:

Been following this topic offline for a few days... i feel frustrated for you, matey! Think i'd of chucked the damn thing out of the window!

Hope you get it fixed and if (no, WHEN) you do, please share how as all these build topics help others with their future builds...

in fact, i've just bought some buttons for a future cabinet build (tho not gonna lie, this is probably a 2 to 3 year project because of cost - buying bits as and when i can afford them)...

I ordered the buttons full of optimisim for a future cabinet of my own then this topic bought me crashing down to the ground with the reality that hoppers & coin mechs look to be a major headache at times!

Look forward to hearing you have the problem fixed and how you achieved it!

All the best matey!

Gary.

🪛🪛🪛

that's what i said to him too.. im behind you in stages of development and personally i'm in awe of these homebuilds, thinking they are invinclible things so when dave had this problem i was too shocked..

On 08/05/2022 at 10:12, davep180 said:

Thanks Gary. First off, I did it exactly the same way as you are doing, getting a new bit each month if there was anything left in the bank. My biggest mistake really, was using an existing mame cabinet for the build, and trying to bodge it all together in one.

I seriously have had no problem with the coin mech, and providing you get the one recommended on here and follow Stoney's diagram, it's quite straight forward, especially as you already know how to set up buttons.

My hoppers on the other hand......

The Universal hopper (Money Controls) was setup for me by a member here, and is huge, but didn't fit inside my machine lol, so is used for testing at the moment.

The 3 Azkoyen 12v came from Poland, and I fear may have been abused in their past life! I had one working, and the others were incase anything went wrong and needed replacing, sadly as replacements, they are as bad as the now defunct original! Hence the plea for someone to test them.

I also have an Azkoyen 24v which runs slower, but does actually work.

If you do a build, make sure you design it with easy access in mind, and you'll have less hassle than me! Part of the problem is limited access to get to anything inside the machine.

i read that as you may have been abused in poland in a previous life.... jeez man that was a dark misread hahah..

living the dream

2 hours ago, woodsy said:

i read that as you may have been abused in poland in a previous life.... jeez man that was a dark misread hahah..

One good thing about this mess is at least I've had a few laughs out of it. I won't be touching the thing again until at least Friday. It has to be dragged out into open space in the lounge, much to the annoyance of my wife. Oh, and the swearing! Mind you, I'm not much better. Boom boom.

Just now, davep180 said:

One good thing about this mess is at least I've had a few laughs out of it. I won't be touching the thing again until at least Friday. It has to be dragged out into open space in the lounge, much to the annoyance of my wife. Oh, and the swearing! Mind you, I'm not much better. Boom boom.

tell the wife it has multiple bingo games... might win her over haha.. or that it's your new invention and it's going to make you rich hahaha..

i've a locker full or thing to tell the mrs of needed hahah

• Like 1

living the dream

7 minutes ago, woodsy said:

i've a locker full or thing to tell the mrs of needed hahah

Thanks man!

I'm pretty sure it isn't the wiring now (apart from the fact that the dupont connectors can be a little picky) as I have had the 24v hopper working as Hopper 1 and as Hopper 2 separately. I'm still hoping I can find the sweet spot for the pin that connects the hopper to the pac drive, but I'm not sure there is going to be one. I've given up on the one that fires off the [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[  for now.  Thanks for all the hints, tips, information and moral support!

Will report back when there's more to the saga.               

Applicable Coin Size:
Diameter: 18.0-31.5mm
Thickness: 1.5-3.2mm

Should be OK for most coins. (I have no idea what size a pound coin is though).

If they all work, that is not bad for 3 hoppers. 2 for hopper 1 and 2, and another to work as a triac output using an arduino.

• Like 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

• 4 weeks later...

To close this one off, I had my Azkoyen U Hoppers repaired by Maggi Electronics. At £30+vat per hopper, it was the cheapest way i could do it. They gave them a good clean too. The machine is back up and running, and I'm happy again. Thanks to everyone who had an input or comment on this. It's what makes this community so good. If anyone knows how to import from the German Ebay, these hoppers are still very cheap, but the postage is not available. Thanks Brexit.

• Like 2