One for Wizard?

wearecity

A few years back in the JPEMU conversion thread, Wizard expressed an interest in the Impact tech machine Coliseum Cash being converted to MFME in DX form. It's a clone of Super Breakout.

The better looking of the two wouldn't convert, but the poorer of the two DX's did, but with no disrespect intended, clearly the source work was awful and it is a very poor looking DX, there's also a classic version for reference.

The attached artwork, when downloaded, is probably good enough for at least a medium quality DX to be made, by one of our experts.

So wondering with quite a few older DX's being updated, if someone would be willing to take it on and perhaps put it in the appropriate cabinet as well.

20200324_190303.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wearecity said:

Great to see a taker for this, I'm on my way to work for late shift, but can sort of roms if someone else doesn't. 

If you click on the picture from the above post, there's an option to download it, it's larger than it looks once downloaded. 

make sure you're on time, it's a right time railway after all ;)

i'll do that now, it's next on my list after the wip due for release tonight or tomorrow and as usual i will do my best work on this. also if anyone else wants to make a version please feel free.

living the dream

19 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

Make it a good one woodsy this maybe a challenge for you as afaik it uses quad lamps for the outer board 

Your wip folder must be mounting up

@vectra666 do you fancy making a smaller one and i'll do a larger version? i can do both if necessary as out of respect i want it available for all users, and i'll come to you for advice on those lamps as they're similar to the tubular bells layout you did.. hit shot rather.

living the dream

1 hour ago, woodsy said:

@vectra666 do you fancy making a smaller one and i'll do a larger version? i can do both if necessary as out of respect i want it available for all users, and i'll come to you for advice on those lamps as they're similar to the tubular bells layout you did.. hit shot rather.

Why don’t you make an in between size as said before I make em 1200x1600 and that’s plenty big enough. I may look into it in the future after lottery club as nowt else to do after that? See how your mega size one runs 

after thinking for a min, I will download this and cab it up , I may or may not make it see what I feel like after the layout currently making 

In the meantime I’ll search google n  YouTube for info on it 

Edited by vectra666

1 hour ago, vectra666 said:

Why don’t you make an in between size as said before I make em 1200x1600 and that’s plenty big enough. I may look into it in the future after lottery club as nowt else to do after that? See how your mega size one runs 

after thinking for a min, I will download this and cab it up , I may or may not make it see what I feel like after the layout currently making 

In the meantime I’ll search google n  YouTube for info on it 

if you can source any images with the bottom right corner visible it would be beneficial

honestly as many of us that do a version the better, that give choices..

32 minutes ago, No1Stoney said:

Is the blokes head part of the cab or is that something added from a flyer ? Looks like something is supposed to be behind him? Hopefully there's other images to use for reference so he can be edited out. Good luck @woodsy I'm sure you will do it justice 

yea its a real bugger tbh.. that the hidden features obscured.. hopefully someone will find a snapshot online in a video or something will work on the rest of it but it will delay it somewhat.

and thanks for the positive feedback

Edited by woodsy

living the dream

40 minutes ago, dad said:

Best I can do I'm afraid - very grainy but you can just make the text out.

thanks loads for the effort there, such a bum fart really that we are at the mercy of the internet

@logopolis care to explain them for the masses? all i did as a player of these was use lucky touch for the 5/10 setups and take the value or BIG.

Edited by woodsy

living the dream

6 hours ago, vectra666 said:

Make it a good one woodsy this maybe a challenge for you as afaik it uses quad lamps for the outer board 

Your wip folder must be mounting up

I must have done half a dozen versions of 'Super Breakout' using the quad lamps. It's certainly a challenge to get all those segments looking genuinely authentic. A massive headache for me at the time and my first version looked truly shite. I did eventually get a reasonable version out there but Dave Pook has the definitive version for sure.

Check it out here:- https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2149-super-breakout-dx-jpm-impact/

SuperBREAKOUT.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CompostCORNER said:

I must have done half a dozen versions of 'Super Breakout' using the quad lamps. It's certainly a challenge to get all those segments looking genuinely authentic. A massive headache for me at the time and my first version looked truly shite. I did eventually get a reasonable version out there but Dave Pook has the definitive version for sure.

Check it out here:- https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2149-super-breakout-dx-jpm-impact/

SuperBREAKOUT.jpg

that looks mental... coliseum isn;t round and i have a totally different way of doing things which from the looks of this may be falling short of the mark so if it's ok i may need to ask you some advice as i progress 

the real issue i'm facing is the bonus text so far.. it's too small to cut and lamp individual letters, and i've tried several ways so far.. so i'm thinking that its best to just do it as natural and the alpha will be the main source of worded info until it's learnt by the player etc..image.thumb.png.70a24fe35869187342047b6509efac7c.png

it's vectras cab work and my first mess about so far but as youi can see the bonus wording is virtually impossible to read

• Like 2

living the dream

2 hours ago, woodsy said:

that looks mental... coliseum isn;t round and i have a totally different way of doing things which from the looks of this may be falling short of the mark so if it's ok i may need to ask you some advice as i progress 

the real issue i'm facing is the bonus text so far.. it's too small to cut and lamp individual letters, and i've tried several ways so far.. so i'm thinking that its best to just do it as natural and the alpha will be the main source of worded info until it's learnt by the player etc..image.thumb.png.70a24fe35869187342047b6509efac7c.png

it's vectras cab work and my first mess about so far but as youi can see the bonus wording is virtually impossible to read

The cab from club big top is more the colour you need it appears to be a blue colour not sure if I still have that cab now as delete the wips about two weeks after initial release to save lappy space 

@Regshouldn’t this topic be moved to the wip section now?

Edited by vectra666
  • Like 1

@woodsy Text can be a massive problem if the art is not so good. In the past, I've enlarged the text, then smoothed the edges by hand then shrunk it back to original size. I've done this on reel symbols too. It's a pain for not a massive gain. Been a few years since my last release. No desktop computer, slow laptop, no Paintshop, no Photoshop, plus I'm always busy. But when I had the time, I'd spend hours and even days hand sharpening images.

I did turn this grainy image into this sharp looking finished game....

EDIT Actually, that finished cab looks awful due to compression lol.

Sevens Above 1.jpg

SevensABOVE final cab.jpg

Edited by CompostCORNER

30 minutes ago, CompostCORNER said:

@woodsy Text can be a massive problem if the art is not so good. In the past, I've enlarged the text, then smoothed the edges by hand then shrunk it back to original size. I've done this on reel symbols too. It's a pain for not a massive gain. Been a few years since my last release. No desktop computer, slow laptop, no Paintshop, no Photoshop, plus I'm always busy. But when I had the time, I'd spend hours and even days hand sharpening images.

I did turn this grainy image into this sharp looking finished game....

EDIT Actually, that finished cab looks awful due to compression lol.

HEAVENS ABOVE MORE LIKE!!! i have recently been attempting to enhance wording using the brush tool, and trying to work out what noise reduction does and how best to apply it..

please have a look at the bones wording on caesers palace i released recently it took hours to get right and honestly i've developed a RSI on my index finger hahaha

i'm really novice level at present with photoshop i only started using it 9 months ago from scratch and there is only about 5 things i know how to use properly... apparently the pen tool is better than the polygonal lasso but it's just overwhelming the amount of options available.

my main issue at present with text is the font matching... i have no idfea how to do it, and the redraws i attempt are poor as i have never been good at shading, light balance and shadow on a area.. the way it has 5 types of colour of one colour to make it better than my solid colour area.

any help is greatly appreciated..

living the dream

29 minutes ago, woodsy said:

HEAVENS ABOVE MORE LIKE!!! i have recently been attempting to enhance wording using the brush tool, and trying to work out what noise reduction does and how best to apply it..

please have a look at the bones wording on caesers palace i released recently it took hours to get right and honestly i've developed a RSI on my index finger hahaha

i'm really novice level at present with photoshop i only started using it 9 months ago from scratch and there is only about 5 things i know how to use properly... apparently the pen tool is better than the polygonal lasso but it's just overwhelming the amount of options available.

my main issue at present with text is the font matching... i have no idfea how to do it, and the redraws i attempt are poor as i have never been good at shading, light balance and shadow on a area.. the way it has 5 types of colour of one colour to make it better than my solid colour area.

any help is greatly appreciated..

Caesars Palace looks pretty good to me. The bonus text is sharp and very readable on my shitty Lenovo lappy so you've done very well there. The high low reels look very sharp too. This stands out well. I never really scratched the surface on Photoshop and Paintshop. I learnt what I needed to learn to get by. I couldn't get my head around layers and transparency. To be honest, I don't think I have any right to have any opinion on new released layouts these days as I've not contributed at all layout wise for over 10 years. But any advice I can give, I'll do all I can.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CompostCORNER said:

Caesars Palace looks pretty good to me. The bonus text is sharp and very readable on my shitty Lenovo lappy so you've done very well there. The high low reels look very sharp too. This stands out well. I never really scratched the surface on Photoshop and Paintshop. I learnt what I needed to learn to get by. I couldn't get my head around layers and transparency. To be honest, I don't think I have any right to have any opinion on new released layouts these days as I've not contributed at all layout wise for over 10 years. But any advice I can give, I'll do all I can.

honestly, any advice is welcomed and tbh think of it this way, you may see something i miss, or have a know how of something i don't, unsaid = unkown..

i've just had a lot of help from a user on here that doesn't produce layouts or use photoshop and it's been invaluable.. we all have different eys and see things through them differently so please feel free to add your thoughts when appropriate

living the dream

1 hour ago, CompostCORNER said:

You have the same lappy as me then

i too only use a handful of tools in Ps lasso and omni for lighting, stroke glow effect for text etc and I’ve got by just fine 

as for your layouts they must be good as still look pristine to this day 

when you releasing another one lol

12 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

You have the same lappy as me then

i too only use a handful of tools in Ps lasso and omni for lighting, stroke glow effect for text etc and I’ve got by just fine 

as for your layouts they must be good as still look pristine to this day 

when you releasing another one lol

stroke and glow are new words to me too..

you mentioned the cab colour was wrong.. i hope you meant blue??? if not no worries it can be changed again.. want to get the cab right as it's my least confident area, so thanks for your cabs bud they really help.. fyi i have it exactly the same as red, gold or blue at mo... 

image.thumb.png.223372daa58652d714977dd3f2bfdc35.png

Edited by woodsy
  • Like 1

living the dream

1 hour ago, vectra666 said:

Looking good, what you doing about the head bottom right that shouldn’t be there? 

resend me the blue cab please

Unsure, thinking of doing two versions, one with him as (hidden features are hidden) and one with the best attempt at artistic redraw 

living the dream

5 hours ago, woodsy said:

Unsure, thinking of doing two versions, one with him as (hidden features are hidden) and one with the best attempt at artistic redraw 

Take your time. Have a go at redraw. For the reasons in the OP, this deserves some time putting into it to get it as good as it can be. You're not going to be it 100% without extra sourxe images and I'm no expert in this area but maybe remove the area with the guy and maybe use some of the cobbled bricks from the flyer @dad posted and add those to that area, and then overlay a red magic carpet image as close to the proper one. Then its just a case of adding text as close to the original art. Not easy but there's no rush. 

Edited by No1Stoney
  • Like 1