Desert Island Retro

Burger Time

Reg

Now this was an interesting game on the face of it,it seems very difficult but as is my wont I had a look at the Wikipedia page for this game and it was saying world record for this was 8 mill then 11 mill seemed impossible I couldn't get passed first level with any peppers so something didn't add up.So it turns out there is a method to this game which after hours of practice one could last for a long time on one coin.Is this considered the equivalent of an emptier on a fruit machine. Is it deliberate .Its about playing the game in a specific way .

Found it very interesting. This game needs a full screen you can't do justice to it on a handheld. 

One further general point that you might or might not want to discuss on the channel is why some games have a continue option and others don't from a business point of view.Surely a machine would make more money if there was a continue option.Maybe in some countries it was illegal so kids don't spend all there money.I know from a purist point of view its a no but I am interested. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jabbathehut said:

...Is this considered the equivalent of an emptier on a fruit machine. Is it deliberate .Its about playing the game in a specific way

Indeed, back in the day, can't remember the magazine but they used to basically compare Arcade games to the 'home' equivalent.   I remember them showing the maps for Pac-Man, that if you followed would never get eaten by the ghosts and showed a similar method for the Atari Home version in the same article.

• Like 1

Not Retired from FME June 2022

7 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Indeed, back in the day, can't remember the magazine but they used to basically compare Arcade games to the 'home' equivalent.   I remember them showing the maps for Pac-Man, that if you followed would never get eaten by the ghosts and showed a similar method for the Atari Home version in the same article.

The ghosts moved in a set way... they had a programmed way to decide which way to move in comparison to where pac-man was...  you could use this knowledge to find certain spots on the map to "hide"....  my mum could get to the kill screen on 1 credit... never knew it was a big thing living in Croydon... certainly could have beaten billy mitchell any day of the week (without cheating 😉  )

Sure there will be a video on youtube explaining it (it's to do with the pixels in conjunction with pacmans position and each ghost only being to move a certain way at junctions, far to hard to explain in words even if I could remember the specifics) but it WILL melt your brain lol

• Like 1

Was never a massive fan of this, but it's definitely a classic arcade game, in the tier of extremely well known arcade games (I just made up that tier by the way).

I always thought the game, was very slow moving and I think that made it feel sluggish and hard. 

Like @eagle64 I remember and had Mr Wimpey on the Speccy.

I believe like Mr Do, there's a super version of this possibly on Neogeo hardware, which played a faster game, which made it more enjoyable.

Edited by wearecity