graphics card and mfme lamps slowing down?

woodsy

Hey all, I was creating the Daylight Robbery games the other day and had three instance of mfme running at the same time, the lamps were slower but still all were playable, my task manager showed the intel uhd processor was near 99% in use understandably but the nvidia 1650 was at flat 0%?

does mfme utilise the gpu at all?

is there a way to get my laptop to use both?

reason being HOT SHOT slows down on a jp sequence and after a chat with @CainZ-A it's brought me to the question above?

i'm not au fai with pc hardware etc and settings for mfme, so can anyone advise? I was just wondering if I could improve the graphics power mfme can use?

living the dream

I did a quick run of one of the layouts I know has the JP sequence issue. I loaded it up 4 times over, and let them all run together. For me, I didnt have the slowdown of the lamps when they were running idly. But I did notice that MFME gets capped at around 10% for the CPU and GPU. Whether this is what is causing the slowdown I do not know for sure. There may be far more to it. I've attached some screenshots inc. the task manager data. Strangely enough, on the JP sequence, when its at its slowest, the GPU seemed to not be in use so much, but the CPU was near max (as much as MFME was allowed to use, 10%). Hope this helps in some way of getting some insight to this issue.

JP SEQ.jpg

Screenshot 1 - Idle.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

• Like 1

@woodsyI was playing your brilliant DX of Daylight Robbery the other day, but sadly my computer can't handle it... when reels spin they don't spin smoothly, they kind of jump to their positions, but if i hold a reel so only 2 spin, they do spin smoothly...

Time for a new PC i guess (which i can't afford) - one i'm using is a 2007 Dell XPS420 (8gb ram) Windows 10 - (which ignores the HD2600 graphics card) - damned Microsoft!

9 minutes ago, MPU_FIVE said:

@woodsyI was playing your brilliant DX of Daylight Robbery the other day, but sadly my computer can't handle it... when reels spin they don't spin smoothly, they kind of jump to their positions, but if i hold a reel so only 2 spin, they do spin smoothly...

Time for a new PC i guess (which i can't afford) - one i'm using is a 2007 Dell XPS420 (8gb ram) Windows 10 - (which ignores the HD2600 graphics card) - damned Microsoft!

that's abit weird what cpu does it have? 

but tbh the layouts are huge so probably out of your range when resized, i think @vectra666 is planning a token version so maybe that will be better on yout lappy, please let me know what differences come from it as that's a big part of my reason for incresong the sizes really. 

Edited by woodsy
  • Like 1

living the dream

5 minutes ago, woodsy said:

that's abit weird what cpu does it have? 

but tbh the layouts are huge so probably out of your range when resized, i think @vectra666 is planning a token version so maybe that will be better on yout lappy, please let me know what differences come from it as that's a big part of my reason for incresong the sizes really. 

It uses a Intel Quad-core Q6600 processor 2.40Ghz

8Gb Ram

Windows 10

ATI Radeon HD2600 Graphics card but Windows 10 does'nt us it AFAIK...

Yeah when i went full screen max it all went grey to begin with and i thought it had crashed.... then it popped up on screen so yes, guess it's res is too high for mine to handle...

3 minutes ago, MPU_FIVE said:

I can't really afford a brand new PC but do you think something like one of these refurb jobbies would do MFME justice?

https://www.tier1online.com/292-t3610/refurbished-dell-precision-t3610-intel-xeon-e5-1620-v2-quad-3-70ghz-nvidia-quadro-k4000-32gb-dvd

i'm really not hte guy to ask but, there is a thrad in jp's arcade sim area with helpful stuff.

@Chopaholic helped me on this as i'm no good at it

but because of the higher res art it will take a while to catch up.

on mine the highres flyers take a few seconds to clarify like the old days of dial up etc

• Like 1

living the dream

5 minutes ago, Altharic said:

Whats a particularly taxing layout to run that could be used as a benchmark?

don't know about taxing but my new hot shot layouts have a stutter on jp sequences, the 15 version will be easiest to get to that point.

i can also post a task manager view of what happened on daylight robbery

living the dream

22 minutes ago, woodsy said:

don't know about taxing but my new hot shot layouts have a stutter on jp sequences, the 15 version will be easiest to get to that point.

i can also post a task manager view of what happened on daylight robbery

Just jackpotted it and on my tablet no stuttering or skipping cpu use was 49% gpu about 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Tried without the MFME Keyboard attatched and reels behave the same so it isn't the Pacdrive...

meh send me the pacdrive keboard and i'll see if it happens on my lappy.. promise i will return it ;) 

living the dream

1 hour ago, Altharic said:

Whats a particularly taxing layout to run that could be used as a benchmark?

I released classic crazy fruits blended lamps that slowed down considerably on my lappy due to the large blended lamps

when I made another layout (red hot x clone) maybe golden sevens? That also slowed down when on top reels I remember wizard saying this is due to the larger blended lamps and ones not needed, although mfme can make large layouts this isn’t always needed as most don’t play on 42” screens, what do woodsy’s layouts look like on a homemade slot in edit mode

do they still only show a certain amount or the whole machine

if only a certain amount, say top left then they’re Too big even for these homemade machines

maybe @Reg @MPU_FIVE could demonstrate what they would see in edit mode?

my version of daylight robbery will have more blended lamps than @woodsys original but is smaller so it will run better 

his larger layout, the reels also stutter on my lappy but not too bad, as for hot shot haven’t downloaded them as the original version meets all my needs for now.

Edited by vectra666
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

I released classic crazy fruits blended lamps that slowed down considerably on my lappy due to the large blended lamps

when I made another layout (red hot x clone) maybe golden sevens? That also slowed down when on top reels I remember wizard saying this is due to the larger blended lamps and ones not needed, although mfme can make large layouts this isn’t always needed as most don’t play on 42” screens, what do woodsy’s layouts look like on a homemade slot in edit mode

do they still only show a certain amount or the whole machine

if only a certain amount, say top left then they’re Too big even for these homemade machines

maybe @Reg @MPU_FIVE could demonstrate what they would see in edit mode?

my version of daylight robbery will have more blended lamps than @woodsys original but is smaller so it will run better 

his larger layout, the reels also stutter on my lappy but not too bad, as for hot shot haven’t downloaded them as the original version meets all my needs for now.

in edit mode it will display the full machine if window size is increased to the maximum 5200-2880 on my lappy at least!!

i only have 1920-1080 screen myself. 

but i'm interested in the differences also, from mpu5 vid it looks great on a bigger screen.

but yes as mentioned in my release notes ross' ones are fekking sweet so it's up to the user if they want them or not really, maybe when the time comes you'll dl my layouts on your bigger screen :(;) 

Edited by woodsy

living the dream

15 minutes ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Hello @vectra666 and @woodsy

Here is a pic of the box my monitor came in... it's a 27" FHD LG monitor.

Resolution is set to 1080 x 1920 in windows.

Here's a video of me putting Daylight Robbery into edit mode...

oh my goody goody gosh drops!!! that looks fekking beautiful!!! thanks for sharing that buddy. as for the reels stuttering im wondering if it's the tv hardware but that can't even be right. just baffling me..

i'm confident the problem exists in mfme not the computers, the three that i know of do the sttract mode well, and then freak out in jp sequences.

i use the minimum amount of lamps because of this 99% of the time, i do this by using the photoshop lamping skills to replicate the effect of having the additional masks. on occasion that removes 100 or so lamps from needing to be processed before even adding their own masks so essentially 200-300 less lamps are used in some of mine, yesterday for asthetic reasons and my love of HOT SHOT i added every single lamp with a mask, the game just couldn't handle the games internal rom using different lamps or dual ones, for example knockouts, the only benefit of doing the extra lamps and masks is for the attract and jp sequences to look a little prettier, i remove them for the simple fact of they are uneccesary and it seems wizard was aware of that too according to vecs thoery on the lamps throttle problem. obviously what we have is what we have going forward and i can't complain.

interesting also to know that tablets run the layout fine.. weird one really.

also another thing that will be useful in these being bigger is arcade sim won't have to do so much upscaling to make them fit.. :) 

• Like 2

living the dream

No worries!

I'm pretty sure you're correct in saying  it is a MFME related problem @woodsy...

In the case of Pinball Wizard, it wasn't a problem in earlier versions of MFME

Agree, it's wierd a tablet can run it ok... what kind of tablet is it i wonder? - I thought MFME only runs in windows 10 - is @Altharic running it on an Android tablet somehow? - would love to see what he's running it on and how he got a tablet to run it!

MFME on the go... now would'nt that be cool! :)