Desert Island Retro

SEGA OUTRUN (ARCADE) Remake

char042102

Hi all,

found this a while back and if you're anything like me who is someone who got into video games way back when Taito and or Midway released Space invaders then you might like this :D

just thought I'd let you all know, if you don't already, of a pretty cool Outrun remake or enhanced version called

CannonBall - The Enhanced OutRun Engine

and for those of you who even fancy creating your own tracks there's also a program called Layout

here are the links :-

https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki/Cannonball-Manual

https://github.com/djyt/layout/wiki

http://reassembler.blogspot.co.uk/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

now i can't provide the roms needed for obvious reasons but I'm sure you would be able to find them.

I think it's the usual press 5 for credit, 1 for start etc your typical mame affair oh and a neat feature now incorporated is to change the view to a slightly higher vantage point by pressing left shift. Anyway it's all explained what you have to do on the websites above.

687474703a2f2f342e62702e626c6f6773706f742e636f6d2f2d48415a73747779316e53302f55726d79597a486e3837492f41414141414141414130552f41313461517a357842784d2f73313630302f76696577312e706e67.png

687474703a2f2f6d6173736465737472756374696f6e2e636f2e756b2f6c61796f75742f73637265656e732f73637265656e73686f74322e706e67.png

687474703a2f2f6d6173736465737472756374696f6e2e636f2e756b2f6c61796f75742f73637265656e732f73637265656e73686f74312e706e67.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the interest shown guys ,and yes that clip of GTS does look very realistic indeed, thanks for the link Reg ,

makes my poor Outrun look like a Pc Engine game although I would say Im more of a Sharp X68000 type man myself.xD

Yeh MPU_FIVE I agree, Outrun was brilliant, definitely a classic for shure and so is the little game we've got below.

just check out this video of Space Harrier on the X68000

I would have loved to have owned one when they were released in 1987 but they were for the Japanese market only and cost a fortune I guess.However we did get the Sega Megadrive  not long after, and I did buy a Nintendo Super Famicom one year before (SNES) arrived in the U.K  (pilotwings)HAPPY DAYS INDEED.xD

I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd reach the level of realism (Gran Turismo Sport) we have now so soon in relation to what the      err.......        very lowly zx 81 and spectrum  could produce at the time, when I got into computing.Blips and 8 colours Although we laugh,there were some very good obscure games concepts on the spectrum...   Quazatron  ,LodeRunner,(did have a level creator), Everyone a wally ,Rollercoaster, Chuckie Egg 1 & 2, Turmoil,and how could I forget Manic Miner from Matt Smith.    I think I cried when I played Hyper Sports and Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu because it JUST WAS NOT like the graphics sometimes shown on the back of those cassette box covers lol and dont get me started about the zx version of Outrun......I waited 4 months for that and when xmas day finally arrived I dont think Ive ever felt so disappointed. what was all that fast forwarding rewinding caper with the cassette deck jess. trying to load the right stage and the green road then putting a tape in for the music lol OH MY GOSH    U.S GOLD NO NO NO JUST NO DONT PLEASE xD. I  shouldn't  mock really, they did the best they could at the time but I can't get those screenshot  images of Outrun from the arcade version in C.R.A.S.H computer magazine , it's your fault .

Anyway..............anyone remember POKES ? :D

It really has just become so overwhelming with the amount of choice and stuff going on these days.There just is not enough hours in a lifetime to enjoy it all.I was reading the HTC hive VR thread where Reg you mentioned about (Future Pinball which is Fantastic ) being viewed in VR (now that's the future HERE right now, can you believe it,it's truly amazing)  you probably already know but http://www.pinsimdb.org is a great site for FP.

I do read up on advances in computing and I think once we get quantum cpus coming on-stream it will make all things before, look like a cake on a carpet.

SORRY  CHAPS I COULD CHAT ALL DAY ABOUT GAMES ETC  There was a time way back on a game on the zx spectrum called Tai Pan ,a pirate themed jolly it was,where you walk around a town to pressgang crew members and buy ships but the snag was you didn't start with a lot of money. So one day walking at the back of town i stumbled across a sailors illegal gambling den where you could bet on these tiles with symbol thingies spinning on them with the low/highest odds return if the common/rarest tile won.And I bet all the cash on the rarest tile and of course it didnt win.However one lucky day when I tried, it won and I got loadsa money to spend to build my crew ,weapons,cannons and ship and of I sailed into the sunset............

10 hours ago, char042102 said:

I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd reach the level of realism (Gran Turismo Sport) we have now so soon in relation to what the      err.......        very lowly zx 81 and spectrum  could produce at the time, when I got into computing.Blips and 8 colours Although we laugh,there were some very good obscure games concepts on the spectrum...   Quazatron  ,LodeRunner,(did have a level creator), Everyone a wally ,Rollercoaster, Chuckie Egg 1 & 2, Turmoil,and how could I forget Manic Miner from Matt Smith.    I think I cried when I played Hyper Sports and Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu because it JUST WAS NOT like the graphics sometimes shown on the back of those cassette box covers lol and dont get me started about the zx version of Outrun......I waited 4 months for that and when xmas day finally arrived I dont think Ive ever felt so disappointed. what was all that fast forwarding rewinding caper with the cassette deck jess. trying to load the right stage and the green road then putting a tape in for the music lol OH MY GOSH    U.S GOLD NO NO NO JUST NO DONT PLEASE xD. I  shouldn't  mock really, they did the best they could at the time but I can't get those screenshot  images of Outrun from the arcade version in C.R.A.S.H computer magazine , it's your fault .

Turbo Lotus Esprit, I think it was by Durrell.

I used to love that game - simply driving around cities, even tho everything was at right angles and it was generally 50 / 50 if your car was going to hit the wall or not.

I think there is a Spectrum owner in many of us here, I was not able to resist this...

https://www.specnext.com/

...I am still awaiting my Kickstarter version with it in a proper keybaord - just cannot wait. :)

• Like 1

I go through phases of doing lots of retro gaming and then I don't touch it for months.

In a lot of cases you realise that that game that was great 25+ years ago, doesn't really hold up gameplay wise nowadays.

I owned ZX81, ZX Spectrum, C64, and Amiga A500 & A1200 computers. My only console was a Sega Master System, which I got as a good idea and realised with having no money through fruit machine addiction, I couldn't afford to get games for it.

Some of my top games for these systems off the top of my head, ZX81- Football Manager, Nightmare Park & 3d Monster Maze, Spectrum - Bomb Jack, War Of The Worlds and Atic Attack, C64 - Bubble Bobble, Amiga - Bubble Bobble, Railroad Tycoon, Pinball Dreams and Rainbow Islands. I only owned 2 Master System games, one was Outrun, can't remember the other.

I used to load up Spectaculator, CCS64 and UAE years ago, but my most played emulators over the past couple of years have been Dolphin and PCSX2. I also a few times a year, load up the Model 2 emulator and have a dozen or more goes on Daytona USA. I also shelled out for a Hyperspin 5tb drive from this guy http://www.retro-burner.co.uk

I've took some interest in Cemu and Citra emulators lately as well.

Some of my favourite Youtube channels are Lazy Gamer Reviews, Metal Jesus Rocks and Gamesack, but again I can not watch them for months then binge watch them.

Edited by wearecity
  • Like 1

My first computer was a ZX81 1k with the expansion in the back, then onto Speccy, starting with 16k across all variations up to 128k. Used to steal my sisters ghetto blaster with 2 tape decks are charge 20p a game copied at school during break. Teacher confiscated it one day and my dad had to go in to collect it, my sister was pissed lol. Kinda missed out on all the 8bit stuff I think I found girls, and didn't get back into gaming until the megadrive era.

As WAC, I go in and out of emulation, got a nvidia shield as a streaming box so play about with hyperspin on that and also have a Pi3, downloaded an 8gig image soley for the speccy with everything ever done. Looking for and loading games I played as a kid is great fun but because the choice is massive I never stick with anything too long and always find myself going back to the same 5 games, Maniv Miner, Jet Pac, 3D Deathchase, Wheelie & Bruce Lee :D

• Like 1

DX Banner.png

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k rubber key affair... remember getting it christmas 1985.... had the keyboard upgraded in 1987 to the ZX Spectrum+ ... still own it to this day.

Got to say Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy were favourite games of mine, best i did at Manic Miner was to get to "the warehouse" which is the 17th room out of 20.

Played Bomb Jack loads too, and the puzzle game "Tilt" Also have to say i was rather impressed with the Speccy's conversion of Sega's Super Hang-on.

manic miner.jpg

Jet set willy.jpg

Bomb Jack.jpg

Tilt.jpg

Super hang on.jpg

• Like 2

Addons for the speccy seemed like sci-fi back in the day, a mate had one of those thermal foil printers which I always wanted. But I got revenge when I got a spec-drum.

Also currah speech addon, a few games supported this, twin kingdom valley springs to mind.

specdrum.thumb.jpg.983e14211da87b35a32351f10c0cf607.jpg

tkv.thumb.jpg.3cee86f50a17ac2c8b6f4ca5fa49ab78.jpgcurrah.jpg.89a82108589b2e61ea75f75f2bfa58ac.jpg

• Like 1

DX Banner.png

These were two of my favourite add ons I had for my Spectrum 48k  

Multiface One (Romantic Robot)
WafaDrive (Rotronics)

My mate had a 'Video Face', think that was Romantic Robot as well, he could grab digitized video stills from a video source and print them to his thermal printer

I always used a battered old Atari 2600 stick without the rubber stick cover.  Loved that stick.   To be fair though on the Spectrum I hardly ever used a stick, usually keyboard for control... redefine keys :)

I have some great memories to my mates dads and he'd give us tapes full of the latest games.   LOL I also only joined the school computer club because they copied games...   That stopped though not long after I'd joined...

J

Edited by A:E

Daley Thompson's Decathlon, used to turn the QS2 upside down holding the base and wiggle the stick, no wonder we bust loads. Only used it for those games and 2 player ones. Something about the rubber keys and spacing of keyboard made QAOPSpace work so well.

DX Banner.png

I used Q A O P and M.   Ah, can remember now 'redefining the keys'.    I did upgrade to a Spectrum +, plastic keyboard, wasn't the same.  Though I did further upgrade to a 'toastrack' loved that machine.  Unfortunately I got rid of my Sinclair collection a couple of years back now.   I sold an early serial Issue One ZX Spectrum and a Toastrack both around the same time.  I did get good money but I kind of miss looking at them, they were in excellent condition too.   I Still have a few consoles and a few C64 games and books but nothing to what I did have.

J

Ah, the good old Speccy!

My mate had the 48k version with the rubber keys, I was forever at his house playing the games with him as I never had my own at the time. I always wanted to play the football games like: Footballer Of The Year, Match Day, World Cup Football. The poor lad hated football, so I must've been a bloody nuisance to him, looking back now.

Then one Christmas I got the +2 128k version with the built-in cassette recorder. The cassette recorder kept breaking on it, so I was always having to take the speccy into the repair shop. Some of my favourite games were Trashman, Jetpac, The Great Escape, Chuckie Egg, Skool Daze & Back to Skool and Football Manager 2. I remember Turbo Esprit well, Reg. I used to play that game for hours.

To this day, that Spectrum was the best Christmas present I've ever had! :D

Edited by Marlon36

I never had a rubber key spectrum, though I did have the 128k with the plastic keyboard, before I went to the Amiga. I should have most of gear and games around somewhere, (as I'm a terrible hoarder). -_-

My first though was the zx81, but the only game I remember playing was Mazogs. Its a long time ago, ya know. Im sure i wasted away many hours playing games that were black and white blocks, loaded from tapes, then reloaded because they didn't work, but I've only got a vague recollection. 

I did have a thermal printer that printed onto silver paper, but I seem to remember giving that away. I also remember being very young and doing my first bit of tech fault finding when we couldn't get the zx81 to work..... The plug didn't come with a fuse! 9_9

My first computer was a Spectrum.

I recall having Ant Attack, Space Raiders and Gangsters along with a pirate tape of one game that was returned and then it was given back again as working.  That is where I learnt about the LOAD "" CODE.

Why they didn't bother with the LOAD "" and just do a simple loader for the code part, I dunno - suppose it was because of no loading screen.

What amazed me with such a little machine - you had so much gameplay and it was awesome.  I mean you could spend hours and hours running around the Ant Attack city, it was amazing graphics back in.  In the eyes of a kid, Space Raiders was the excat perfect copy of Space Invaders in our eyes - surely beats the Atari 2600 version.

Having loved Adventure on the Atari 2600, Atic Atac was well so awesome there was no words.

Later in life, in that small 48K you could literally get lost in the land of midnight playing Lords of Midnight.  Controlling great armies and everything else.

There is surely an amount of rose tinted glasses going on here, but the amount of gameplay in so small memory is amazing.

This is why I had to back this... ...the one with the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,sorry for the delay in returning to the thread,been down the internet rabbit hole ,and all manner of things,you know how it is. Future Pinball,V-Pinmame etc etc

I've been watching Ally Law, ILLSIGHT, Nightscape, OntheRoofs aka Vitaliy Raskalov and Vadim Makhorov  , James Kingston, Oleg Cricket aka Oleg Sherstyachenko, and that tidy russian girl Angela Nikolau all doing youtube roof topping videos,  looking at all their photos, drone footage etc etc UNBELIEVABLE STUFF.

like they say on Ally's channel it really "is a madness" but utterly incredible at the same time.  PS Caution Advisory IF YOU'RE SCARED OF HEIGHTS - DO NOT WATCH some of that content, you might fall off your chair xD

Anyway back to this thread -

@Pook

Yes I remember doing similar with re the zx tapes at school although not for selling,but what me and four mates did was to meet on the playing fields at school on a friday, then all pick a different title game that we were all happy with,then individually get the said games over the weekend and make four copies, on the old trusty tape to tape player for each of the other four friends for the "meet & swap" on Monday at school , bit like a buy 1 get 4  free if you like. must admit it was a bit nervy doing the dastardly deal out there on some secluded spot if there is such a thing on an open school playing field (oxymoron maybe). we must have looked well dodgy :ph34r:

think we only did it a couple of times anyway before other school crazes took over.

ah yes the good old Kempston Joystick with suckers, silly me at that age thought you had to wet\spit on the 4 suckers to grip the table. It did grip.......... but also drag all over the desk area attached to it lol xD not a good idea ahah.

oh yes did you ever accidently suss the cheat out for the high jump on Daley Thompson's Decathlon, I think you had to do the first two jumps over the bar as normal but then if you timed it correctly you could jump under the bar ,careful as to not knock the bar from underneath and land on the mat.obviously the coders input was if the bar fell or not,

not if you did the event legally. I don't think you'd get away with that from the Hyper Sports judge from konami ,he was a right b%#ard about your foot on or over the line .

anyway I think I managed something like 12 meters on the high jump LOL before I got bored haha.

you probably know this or are far to busy with other sensible things but did you know that there are some manic miner variations (20 or so) available from world of spectrum site. there are some really tough looking levels on some of these also I believe there's a manic miner editor somewhere .

mm2000_01.png.224de3162e09abe70925507b666da8a2.pngmm_compsys_06.png.1dba2184fb0e4e61c8d99c760c0ad7e8.pngmm2000_03.png.574506a61b11131efe4839985e08dce0.pngmm2000_02.png.95cd25061c7a0a26559aef9b44befeb7.pngmm2000_05.png.74113f5bd9f07f7f515e05753bab551a.pngmm_compsys_04.png.5d7729ddb8a6992071e12267ab9ec6e3.pngmm2000_04.png.fd4c02c1bfe3b9857525ccdee7c5e5c1.pngmm_compsys_03.png.ed0376cb1a336bbf46a6f57649c5e904.png

@Reg There is a remake of 3d Ant attack on the net here's a couple of pics for you ,

256137860_3DAntAttack.jpg.d8d2ebd4dd69f622638affad607aa130.jpg

and yes I totally agree about the rose tinted specs ,also Turbo Esprit by durell was 3D which like the isometric ones Ant Attack and Night Lore,Hydrofool,Movie,Highway Encounter and my fav Quazatron was unreal to see on a home computer of the time. here's a great comment I saw the other day

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be !!!!   

@ MPU_FIVE  only level 17 , manic miner  , then you never got to this room which was a complete !%# of a room , that yellow line flashed into different patterns at the speed of lightning

when it wanted to and if you were on it , it was good night vienna

mm1-bb_19.png.4c065ee00e23513daf86a4be0abb7d6a.png

also I agree bombjack was  a  really great game  at the time

@AE

ah yes the old Q for UP , A for Down etc etc,   funny isn't it how we all used those keys although some people did like to use Z and X for left and right for some games.

@ Reg

I do remember  the first time I tried to Load a game by just pressing play on the tape recorder  and typing RUN then enter on the keyboard and wondering why nothing was happening lol

@johnnyafc

thanks for the link, I'll try to get round to watching that sometime if I can tear myself away from the endless other stuff on the  all consuming tinternetz lol

there's some nice footage of the elusive Mathew Smith coder of manic miner and JSW  on you-tube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWmmMZlhcqU

I think he's a hero but there are some very nasty comments on some interviews with him about his Autistic nature and drug problem which I find appalling and disheartening,why there are  ignorant  people people like that,I'll never know.

@wearecity

I do sort of agree about the games not holding up anymore,especially when you put them up to the likes of Bloodborne , Dark Souls etc but there is something to be said about the joy of ease with which these old games played. ie left,right up,down and jump . They are easy to play and require a certain skill where timing is concerned.

I think I played Falcon 4.0 on the pc and every key on the keyboard had a binding coupled with the fact you could multiply that by 3 because shift & keys and Alt & keys or Ctrl & keys

did things too.It came with its own template and leaflet but bloody hell  if you know what I mean lol. forever trying to find what key does what and researching the meaning when found hehe.

I also play the emulators and think they are all Fantastic , I can't run Dolphin very well on my system as its an oldish PC but Project64 (N64), Snes , Megadrive, PSX etc all run fine.

I just got Model 3 emulator working the other day with Oceanhunter finally with the lightgun bindings to mouse and keyboard.

Citru and Cemu look promising and I particularly like that Sony Psp emulator . all good stuff

anyway guys its taken ages to write all this stuff so I apologize if I missed anyone out today,I'll catch up with you next time

• Like 2