Humble beginnings - My MFME Keyboard - a work in progress...

MPU_FIVE

When will i learn.... i'm 50 yrs old and like a kid at christmas, just can't settle!

It's 1am and have assembled a fair chunk so far, buttons in, boards in, LED bulbs in, wires all bootlaced and ready to wire.... but tomorrow, Gary....... Tomorrow!

Time for bed....

Goodnight all....

A few more pics!

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

• Like 3

Writing in black as for some reason I have not got the usual options at the top of this box to change to my trademark cadbury purple larger font... - oh well!

Spent about 4-5 hours carefully wiring up the buttons and LEDs to the I-Pac2 and PacDrive... used some tubing i found in a drawer to try to bring a bit of cable management - still looks like a rats nest but when you have 66 wires i guess a rats nest is what you'll get! The tubing was really tough to prize open to get wires into so used a calpol syringe to widen the slit in the side while coaxing the wires into the tube and then taping it shut...

I now sit here with it on the desk in front of me and am very proud of it....

However I am nervous as heck about switching it on.... what after all that effort it does'nt work.... - i will be devastated and confused and frustrated for sure... i hope tho that my attention to detail and care has paid off... we will see soon...

Also some of the buttons had a little lump on plastic on the bottom of them making them sit skew whiff on the wooden surface, so i took them off and cafefully cut the lump off with a stanley knife...

Here's some pics of how it went, I'm going to drink my cuppa and build up the courage for the next step... will it work???

Please let it work!

Cheers,

Gary

🍐🍐🍐

20220221_090923.jpg

20220221_091041.jpg

20220221_091949.jpg

20220221_103458.jpg

20220221_104750.jpg

20220221_105911.jpg

20220221_111012.jpg

20220221_121741.jpg

20220221_121817.jpg

20220221_124302.jpg

20220221_130600.jpg

20220221_130621.jpg

20220221_130902.jpg

20220221_131704.jpg

20220221_132017.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, davep180 said:

Looks good @MPU_FIVE Boot her up mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers @davep180...

I am stuck ... i don't know how to use the WinIpac configuration software... reg's tutorial does'nt explain how to use it, i don't want to press the wrong option in case i mess it up... is there anywhere that expains how to use it? Had a quick look for a video but only found someone configure on retropie and completely useless to me! Arrrrgh im so stressed!

Yeah, just go to File at the top and save. That will give you a template to work from. If you decide that instead of using X for exchange you want to use E, you can load it back in and change that buttons letter. I found that Space for start, 1,2,3 and 4 for for holds are the same on nearly all machines.

Edited by davep180
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davep180 said:

You can test the buttons in notepad. Get that up and when you press one of your set buttons, it should write that letter on the screen.

I just tested in notepad and the keys are set to the way i want them!

Thank you for your help...

Hopefully i won't have a meltdown on the Pacdrive side of things... that's next!

Wish me luck! :)

• Like 1

Hello!

Been spending some time this evening playing my MFME Keyboard. It's bloody awesome having real arcade buttons with lights in them... Fantastic!

Yesterday after assembling the keyboard, i only got 20 minutes play and had a power cut till 11.30 that night... the world did'nt want me playing my MFME Keyboard last night, lol!

Massive thanks to everyone who's cheered me on, while on this journey,

@Amusements for his tips on how to configure the Pacdrive to automatically find the lamps on the buttons... (well impressed with that feature)

@Reg for the keyboard tutorial, which gave me the kick to make my own (albeit 5 years down the line!) and for checking my wiring diagram was correct

@davep180 for support when i had a meltdown yesterday! and advice along the way.

@No1Stoney also for checking my wiring plans were correct for me!

@Wizard for his amazing emulator, without which, this awesome experience would never of been possible!

anyway, tonights a work night, need my sleep, but will leave you with a video of the Keyboard in action playing Itallian Job 3....

My videomaking skills leave much to be desired!

Cheers all,

Gary.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Welcome 1

13 hours ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Hello!

Been spending some time this evening playing my MFME Keyboard. It's bloody awesome having real arcade buttons with lights in them... Fantastic!

Yesterday after assembling the keyboard, i only got 20 minutes play and had a power cut till 11.30 that night... the world did'nt want me playing my MFME Keyboard last night, lol!

Massive thanks to everyone who's cheered me on, while on this journey,

@Amusements for his tips on how to configure the Pacdrive to automatically find the lamps on the buttons... (well impressed with that feature)

@Reg for the keyboard tutorial, which gave me the kick to make my own (albeit 5 years down the line!) and for checking my wiring diagram was correct

@davep180 for support when i had a meltdown yesterday! and advice along the way.

@No1Stoney also for checking my wiring plans were correct for me!

@Wizard for his amazing emulator, without which, this awesome experience would never of been possible!

anyway, tonights a work night, need my sleep, but will leave you with a video of the Keyboard in action playing Itallian Job 3....

My videomaking skills leave much to be desired!

Cheers all,

Gary.

SKILLSTOP KING!!

• Haha 1

living the dream

On 23/02/2022 at 11:36, woodsy said:

SKILLSTOP KING!!

I could'nt believe i was so unlucky as to hit the "?" twice! I blame the fact i had my phone in the other hand filming while only having the right hand free to tap the button with... plus i deffo can't multi-task! 🤣

Am now on the lookout for a new topic in the cabinet building section titled "Woodsy's MFME Keyboard - a work in progress".... I'm sure it'll be there soon! :)

1 hour ago, MPU_FIVE said:

I could'nt believe i was so unlucky as to hit the "?" twice! I blame the fact i had my phone in the other hand filming while only having the right hand free to tap the button with... plus i deffo can't multi-task! 🤣

Am now on the lookout for a new topic in the cabinet building section titled "Woodsy's MFME Keyboard - a work in progress".... I'm sure it'll be there soon! :)

Probably in the summer :) 

living the dream

• 7 months later...
On 08/10/2022 at 04:15, chaseruk said:

some great information here..will be useing it when i start my journey real soon

Ahhh cool, @chaserukI'm glad my thread is of interest to you... hope it helps you to create one of your own MFME Keyboards... I look forward to seeing what your creation looks like!

All the best,

Gary.

• Like 1