New cabinet build from a beginner

Psycon

OK guys, I'm a little stumped as to why its not working. So for clarity, this is the way it should be wired as this is currently my setup.. Apologies, I remembered I upgraded to 5v bulbs when I modified my cab a few months ago. However that shouldn't make any difference. For 5v bulbs, make sure its wired like this. If it is, then your issues are not a result of how its all connected.

diagram.jpg

I still am thinking this is to with 'common ground' issues. On my cab, the USBs are plugged into the PC. From that same PC, I've used the PSU from it and spliced into a 12v/0v wire to power my devices. This means that the USB and my devices share the same ground/0v. If you are using a separate PSU to the one that powers your PC, your USB ports are on SEPERATE ground/0v to the devices, if you see what I mean.. I'm thinking this is possibly your issue.

@Reg do you have any thoughts on this?

Edited by No1Stoney

1 hour ago, No1Stoney said:

OK guys, I'm a little stumped as to why its not working. So for clarity, this is the way it should be wired as this is currently my setup.. Apologies, I remembered I upgraded to 5v bulbs when I modified my cab a few months ago. However that shouldn't make any difference. For 5v bulbs, make sure its wired like this. If it is, then your issues are not a result of how its all connected.

diagram.jpg

This is how I have mine setup. The only difference I can think of is yours runs the pc power from the same pc as the usb's. But surely if there is a 12v source it shouldn't matter? I'm thinking it's more they arnt getting a signal to motor start? The issue I have is I can't take a 12v sorce from the pc board running it 🤔

8 minutes ago, Psycon said:

This is how I have mine setup. The only difference I can think of is yours runs the pc power from the same pc as the usb's. But surely if there is a 12v source it shouldn't matter? I'm thinking it's more they arnt getting a signal to motor start? The issue I have is I can't take a 12v sorce from the pc board running it 🤔

Mines set up like the diagram I have 24v transformer for hopper then 12v transformer for coin mech but ipac and pacdrive go to the pc usb which is obviously a separate ground to the transformers , like you say may be that 

Edited by cja272

28 minutes ago, Psycon said:

It might matter though as they are running on separate circuits you see. If you can try the other way then give it a go. If nothing else it will eliminate that being the problem . There should easily be a wire you can splice into from the pc that runs the usbs.

Its also the thing that both you two have in common. A separate psu. 

Edited by No1Stoney

1 hour ago, No1Stoney said:

It might matter though as they are running on separate circuits you see. If you can try the other way then give it a go. If nothing else it will eliminate that being the problem . There should easily be a wire you can splice into from the pc that runs the usbs.

Its also the thing that both you two have in common. A separate psu. 

I am pretty sure you are right. 

The hopper probably uses an SSR (solid state relay) to detect an increase/or/decrease in current, and can only do that if all the components share the same ground?

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

I think I can splice the incoming 12 volts that comes into the motherboard and use that negative as the common ground. Do I keep the positive off of the separate psu as the power in for the hopper and coin mech?

Attached is the input on my motherboard which I think is 12v

20220113_183355.jpg

OK I have made a bit of progress! So I have managed to run the pc from the psu that runs the hopper and the coin mech. When I click on the hopper and test in configuration the hopper turns very slightly (8 clicks will eject a coin). Is it supposed to eject a coin when you click test? It does look like as you said it's the earth's that could be the issue

Edited by Psycon

59 minutes ago, No1Stoney said:

If you hold the test button it should keep the hopper running until you let go if I remember rightly. Progress at least! 

If I hold it it turns slightly but then stops. I'm wondering if the psu has enough power and when the hopper starts it puts to much of a drain on it as its only 12v? Think it's only a 200w psu. 

19 minutes ago, Psycon said:

If I hold it it turns slightly but then stops. I'm wondering if the psu has enough power and when the hopper starts it puts to much of a drain on it as its only 12v? Think it's only a 200w psu. 

Is is about 1 to 1.5 seconds of noise and then nothing ?

If it is - that is the issue I had before switching to a 24v supply - previous on 12v.

@No1Stoney this was the seperate issue I had to everyone else when I was saying I don't think they worked on 12v for the one that I had.

19 minutes ago, No1Stoney said:

So what happens now when you try actual payouts? I have 4 of the azkoyen hoppers all rated 24v but all working off the pc's 12v supply. Couldn't tell you what wattage the psu is but I reckon about 350w. I think that 200w would be fine. Also try the test all button

Actual payouts don't seem to do anything. And the test all does the same to the hopper. If I click the test hopper button, nothing happens for about 5 secs but then ot runs for a split second

8 minutes ago, Reg said:

Is is about 1 to 1.5 seconds of noise and then nothing ?

If it is - that is the issue I had before switching to a 24v supply - previous on 12v.

@No1Stoney this was the seperate issue I had to everyone else when I was saying I don't think they worked on 12v for the one that I had.

It's less than a second. If I get a 24v power supply, how do I make the negative wire on the same loop as the 12v wires so they share the same earth?

Just now, Psycon said:

It's less than a second. If I get a 24v power supply, how do I make the negative wire on the same loop as the 12v wires so they share the same earth?

Unfortunately I am not sure on that one as I'm not great with all that. I imagine it wouldn't matter if you linked the 2 earths together and try again but I really can't be sure so seek someone else's advice on that one

5 minutes ago, No1Stoney said:

Unfortunately I am not sure on that one as I'm not great with all that. I imagine it wouldn't matter if you linked the 2 earths together and try again but I really can't be sure so seek someone else's advice on that one

Thanks No1Stoney. Unfortunately my understanding of electronics isn't too great either. Hopefully @Regsets his up this way so I can try it

Hey guys. I found a post @Reg made with his second cabinet. on the picture with the hopper it looks like he has the negative going to the 12v psu and the positive going to the 24v. I think this is the issue i need to know. Hopefully @reg will be able to answer this and I can get it working finally. Thanks for all the help you guys are giving. I wouldn't be anywhere near as far as I am now without all of your kind help! 😁

11 minutes ago, Psycon said:

Hey guys. I found a post @Reg made with his second cabinet. on the picture with the hopper it looks like he has the negative going to the 12v psu and the positive going to the 24v. I think this is the issue i need to know. Hopefully @reg will be able to answer this and I can get it working finally. Thanks for all the help you guys are giving. I wouldn't be anywhere near as far as I am now without all of your kind help! 😁

You missed a bit - I give them a common ground that I have been talking about.

Look at the bit I underlined from that post and also the box I circled, you can see the black wire.  You not seeing the common ground from the 24v PSU to the iPac that is offscreen.

image.png.e4c30d24287e6ea5137cade6cd138dc1.png

15 minutes ago, Reg said:

You missed a bit - I give them a common ground that I have been talking about.

Look at the bit I underlined from that post and also the box I circled, you can see the black wire.  You not seeing the common ground from the 24v PSU to the iPac that is offscreen.

image.png.e4c30d24287e6ea5137cade6cd138dc1.png

This is the bit I'm not understanding I think. Sorry I'm not that good with wiring and understanding it. So is my diagram correct but with the negative from the 24v going g to the ipac? None of my other negative wires go to the ipac?