Desert Island Retro

A painful PC clean up

wearecity

Decided to do my quarterly clean up of my PC. Cleaned it all up (my word grateful for dust guards keeping most stuff on the outside). Inside a few specs of dust but nothing major. Put it all back together, switched on, tv complained of no connection, so told it, it's a PC connected to the HDMI and screen came on, but it was in the bios.

It's a gaming PC costing £2700 and I never fiddle in the BIOS, so wanted to get out of it straightaway, so just exit. Complained, so said don't save, just exit.

Get into Windows, the graphic card, showing up, but Windows using the Intel onboard. Usual fiddling to get it to use graphics card, drivers, disable/enable devices etc.. but to no avail.

Back in the BIOS, graphic section showing onboard, so change it to auto and the PCI option. Still not working, back to BIOS, and onboard showing again.

Thought sod it, just reset the BIOS back to standard settings, thought, I'm, sure it won't matter, a RTX 3080, will still achieve 60FPS, without any system overclock anyway. Computer complained about CPU fan error. Mine has an AIO device, so no fan present as such, so disabled, error disappears.

Windows now won't load though. Tried the quick standard Windows repair from the recovery, error can't do it, it says after trying.

Decided to do reinstall but keep files. Fairly quickly done and yes back in Windows, rebooted, yep Windows loads fine.

Oh, still using onboard graphics, more fiddling, nope not having it.

Though sod it, have to take card out, reconnect everything and try, so go to pull HDMI cable out of the back of the card, ah it's in an HDMI slot, but there's another one lower down.

Long story short, I'd plugged the HDMI cable into the port for the onboard graphics and not the graphics card itself.

Looking at the list of stuff, it uninstalled (list attached if anyone has any interest), apart from the games (most which I probably won't play again, due to bored or completed), I suppose a Windows reinstall wasn't a bad idea anyway.

Document.zip

My method is a little different - I use Acronis True Image 2016.

Below is all the backups I have taken...

image.thumb.png.3c425763ff8df8a4ffdb1e02de733c37.png

The folders are not full apart from one, the backup program just insists on recreating all the old ones that sit there empty.

PC originally brought in Aprtil 2016 for Vive and lots of full backups since then on the folder dates shown.  If it's been too long since I tidied up - I often check the last backup and look at everything that is installed since then and simply roll back doing a full restore of C:\ if there is nothing new I care about - anything new that I do - I can reinstall.

The metric I use is simply - is the reinstall going to take more then twenty minutes to resotre what I care about ?

If yes, I remove everything that I don't care about and backup the PC to a new image.

If no, I roll back to the last good backup.

Keeps it working quick and fast - and pain free. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reg said:

My method is a little different - I use Acronis True Image 2016.

Below is all the backups I have taken...

image.thumb.png.3c425763ff8df8a4ffdb1e02de733c37.png

The folders are not full apart from one, the backup program just insists on recreating all the old ones that sit there empty.

PC originally brought in Aprtil 2016 for Vive and lots of full backups since then on the folder dates shown.  If it's been too long since I tidied up - I often check the last backup and look at everything that is installed since then and simply roll back doing a full restore of C:\ if there is nothing new I care about - anything new that I do - I can reinstall.

The metric I use is simply - is the reinstall going to take more then twenty minutes to resotre what I care about ?

If yes, I remove everything that I don't care about and backup the PC to a new image.

If no, I roll back to the last good backup.

Keeps it working quick and fast - and pain free. :)

I’ve just bought a new laptop, not as high end but to me it’s priceless! Should I be doing this back up thing, tbh ask I know to do is defrag but now it’s ssd is that so important, also the only two things if I had problems would be seen restore ( guess I need to get a flash drive and put windows copy on that from the restore drive D:/)? And if that was no good a full re install but it came pre loaded so no win 10 disc? Sorry for the noobness but after reading this I’d like some knowledge, also I’m planning on installing more ram, I’ve watched a few you tube videos but is it worth me being it done in a local repair shop in case I do something wrong for the few  extra quid I’ll get piece of mind install!? Thanks for any advice here, my laptop doesn’t even have a CD drive so would I be best to write down my license key details etc? Probably got warranty in any case for 12 months but I think upgrading the ram might void that so I’d be grateful for your thoughts

living the dream