Front End - Touch-Play

Reg

Morning All !

So here is a quick concept of using the Touch-Play front end for an MFME cabinet.

I am presently rebuilding my cabinet and have only put three games in here with the graphics etc, the games yet to be done are blank screens.

I demo the showing the three games, lauching one and exiting again.  @woodsy asked about front ends, this is as much for him as it is for detailing the process.

A little lengthy - but I think the end result is going to be worth it.

So, let's get on with it...

Assuming the game file to lauch a game is game one.gam, this needs to be unique for every game and is important.

Steps are...

1. On main PC, launch the game and run borderless ( that means no window or anything like this ).

image.thumb.png.48016502cd95bb1c13169f85501f934d.png

The picture above has no frame or anything. 

Press WIN+G to record the active window and record a 30 second demo.

2. Once recorded rename that clip to game one.gam that was the name of the file that launched the game in MFME.

Drop this into the \Touch-Play\Media\MFME\Machine Videos folder.

3. Play the game and pick a sample from MFME Samples panel and save it to your desktop

image.png.d45ed32fd692df9ee63f0ba0de594a73.png

Rename the sample to game one.gam as before for this demo.

Drop this into the \Touch-Play\Media\MFME\Machine Audio folder.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

Looks awesome, but hopefully there's a quicker way to select games rather than paging through alphabetically. 

Trying to get to Rollercoaster or Vamp it Up would take half an hour!

Yeah you can set keys to jump to the next letter in the Alphabet - it is configured to do that - it was late ( no I mean early ! ) so I did not use those buttons !

@Laylow I am doing mine with just videos for the moment.  Not sure I want the wheel images - but lovely to see you using this as well. :)

Can you do a video of your setup working through the games so I can see how it looks with the wheel images, just want a second view if that makes sense - I may change my mind !

I like the idea of the attract mode when viewing machines. Thats a nice touch. On my cab, it is only a static image and it plays a chosen sample from the machine that best represents the machines feature music. I like the please wait screen too, perhaps (although adding to the time taken to customise each machine) the please wait image could stay for as long as the machine typically takes to boot (as each machine is different)....

Except DES machines. It would look like the cab has frozen, they take far too long. 

On 04/10/2021 at 13:06, Reg said:

@Laylow I am doing mine with just videos for the moment.  Not sure I want the wheel images - but lovely to see you using this as well. :)

Can you do a video of your setup working through the games so I can see how it looks with the wheel images, just want a second view if that makes sense - I may change my mind !

I'll get back to it when I'm finished with all layouts, I just changed to apngs, moving wheel images. Video coming soon

• Like 1

So I have been doing a lot of work on this and the cabinet for way too many hours tonight.

One key thing I have learnt from using mGalaxy and moving to Touch-Play is some layouts behave differently when the front end manages the emulator in the background.

A pro for Touch-Play is is that while MFME loads it simply says loading and goes straight into the machine, mGalaxy still showed the MFME splash.

A negative for Touch-Play is my default settings for MFME is full-screen stretch, it always loads it in as full-screen non-stretch and ignores the MGME settings. If @tspeirs sees this perhaps he can adjust that.  Touch-Play also has trouble with layouts that use an overlay on the background.  I’ve had to remove numerous of those - not a problem but something to be aware of.  

In the attract mode of Touch-Play it plays the video for the associated game stretched to max - this isn’t too much of a problem - but again it would be nice if the game went in at full-screen stretch - but it is only a button press to switch.

Changing from my first cabinet. There are so many layouts still in the too do folder - only the UK ones done, this is a long process of tidying everything up and changing iPac settings from the first cabinet.

In Touch-Play I have found a novel way of using the wheel, you will see in the video below.  Excuse the awful audio as that was  captured with a mobile phone recording while I recorded the video on my PC using TinyVNC but that does not stream audio.  TinyVNC is great for 100% management of this using a combination of Remote Desktop and Network Share.

Touch-Play is absolutely my front-end emulator of choice.