YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

@Chopaholic

Hey Al, how about a totally new channel at some point in the future, just focussing on mfme new released layouts and arcade sim, like a bi-weekly or monthly video roundup?   Keep it more about emulation without going into anything too personal.  It's something I would definitely watch, I still browse 'The Hovel' from time to time, that was just great content too :)

J

• Like 5

Going to miss your channel, one of my favourites and you got me into emulation. Still think when you retire you should definitely go into radio. 

Totally understand your reasons, unfortunately the way the Internet is these days you can be cancelled for anything. I can't post much stuff in my own name on Facebook as I work in civil service and anything you post can come back to haunt you. 

• Like 2

I shall miss the channel, however I do understand your reasons why you have deleted the channel.

However, thank you for all the video's you did over the years, there was some fantastic content on there and it was great viewing, I did learn a bit from watching the video's.

• Like 3

Thanks for the effort you put into the videos Choppers and sharing them with us, I enjoyed all the fruit related ones! 

Edit to add - I used to watch the Friday night (or was it a Sunday?) slot videos where you would upload various slots playing at the same time with the trance going in the background. Used to fall asleep to them, but in a good way. I remember Bruce Lee paid out for you.

Edited by hilolottery
  • Like 2

Sadly their is always someone that takes a dislike and wants to do their upmost to make it difficult, I myself post very little now as came to the similar conclusions as you, the less you post the less your in the limelight for someone to want to make things difficult and have a snipe! Keep the hobby behind closed doors and not publicise it! I myself am so much happier not having to read the nastiness posted on threads I posted on (not on this forum thankfully)

It does seem technology and the world is getting worse not better to me!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

I shall miss your channel a lot, I found it informative and genuinely entertaining and amusing ( the fme ones ). I've watched them many many times and in retrospect felt gutted that i didn't know the tricks that were available on these machines at the times, ( no wonder I lost so much lol), though I never played anything above £35 JPs.  My favourite era being the 80s.  Though I carried on playing them right up to the £35jps. Your Low Ebbs vid struck a cord, with me, as anyone with addiction problems will agree, luckily and thanks to FME and the dreadful machines we have now, that's behind me.  Thanks Alex for many hours of entertainment.

• Like 2

Hi Chops

Gutted to read of the EOL for your channel but at the same time 100% understand and respect why.

Hopefully we can keep in touch both here and over at CM and share good times and stories (minus the videos of course) and move forward in a positive light.

All the very best and an awesome Christmas to you and your family

Jon

• Like 1

Your channel will be sorely missed... the youtube notification that a Degsy vid was available was always a source for happiness.

Thanks for all the hard work you have put in down the years - I have really appreciated it across the years.

I totally agree with you if it needed to go - fair enough - I an still eternally grateful.

Hope work continues to go well and that you continue to prosper.

• Like 2

On 16/12/2021 at 22:42, Chopaholic said:

Hi folks just a heads-up my channel is now deleted, so if you're looking for it nothing has gone wrong, it's how I want it to be.

Totally respect your decision mate, i wondered where you had gone off my YT, loved your explanations of fruits/ emptiers  etc.

I'm gonna miss your opening intro... " IT'S THERE!!!!....HOLEY MOLEY! THIS ONES GONNA GO BIG!! 😃

• Like 1

On 16/12/2021 at 22:42, Chopaholic said:

Hi folks just a heads-up my channel is now deleted, so if you're looking for it nothing has gone wrong, it's how I want it to be.

Totally respect your decision mate, i wondered where you had gone off my YT, loved your explanations of fruits/ emptiers  etc.

I'm gonna miss your opening intro... " IT'S THERE!!!!....HOLEY MOLEY! THIS ONES GONNA GO BIG!! 😃

• Like 2

I know I am late to the thread but I have only just noticed that there hadn’t been any new Degsy videos in a while. Fully understand and support your reasoning but I will miss the videos, especially the periodic low ebbs ones which resonated with me more than they should have. Thank you for all your hard work and I sincerely hope you end up back on YT in the future.

• Like 3

Others have said it far better than me but such a sad loss to see your YouTube channel go Degsy.  I felt like I knew you and we're complete strangers.  You're an amazing talker and the way you have turned your life around is inspirational.  I'll never get the back the hours I spend listening to you but I wouldn't want to.  Enjoyed every moment of it.

• Like 3

@Chopaholic  I'm really sorry to see your channel go.  Honestly it was one of my favourite youtube channels and your narration is quite honestly superb, leading to me watching videos that are a little off interest for myself but still an excellent and interesting watch.

As others have said I have watched and commented on the videos for many years, but the most engaging  and interesting content of ANY youtube video I have watched have been your personal recounts of your tours, both from a players perspective and of course the excellent and relatable low ebbs stories.  I have to say I will be sad to never hear the final low ebbs story but I understand how compromising it might be to provide such details where those details leak into your actual life.

Just to repeat the sentiments of others, thank you so so so much for the many years of content and it will be greatly missed.  It is genuinely one of the very few channels I would have paid for the content.

All the best and I hope that you will still be an active part of the desert island fruits still.

• Like 3

I'm really sorry to see the channel go. It has really helped me out, especially when I was suffering from some "low ebbs" myself.

The world does seem to be going in a bad direction, both from a gambling point of view and now this nasty crossover between personal and private life. I remember my first boss explaining to me that "what you do outside of work is your business, and what you do inside of work is my business". Sadly, that all seems to have been thrown out of the window, and it is increasingly seen as acceptable now for employers to snoop into the personal affairs of their employees.

Wishing you the best of luck in the future, wherever it may take you.

• Like 3

I am also really sorry to have seen this, but can only agree how much it sucks that personal lives and hobbies can end up intruding on professional lives.

A few years ago, I had to stop myself logging onto Facebook or using Whatsapp, and even taking my fitbit off, because these things were giving away how late I stayed up at night, and colleagues and managers were commenting on it regularly. 

Never mind the fact at the time I was struggling to sleep for whatever reasons, the stress and paranoia I was having, thinking about having to take off my watch and not read messages or react to notifications after 10pm at night just so I could go into work the next day without the comments.

So sorry it came to this, @Chopaholic, really enjoyed all your content.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This whole social media malarkey gives away too much personal information doesn't it🤪

If I get questioned as to stupidly early hours WhatsApp activity, I was merely getting up to use the toilet and briefly checked my phone. Hmmmm. No they don't believe it either!

I have drastically reduced the time I spend watching videos about gambling (for various reasons), so I'm very late to the thread having promised myself a Chopley binge at some point in the future. Alas now, that will never happen, such is life.

I totally respect the decision to hard delete and can relate to the work, hobby stream crossing dilemma. A channel borne of passion and carried on as such, rather than one with ulterior business motives is a rare find in the world of gambling videos and is a point of merit in my book. So long and thanks for all the nostalgia.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/12/2021 at 18:45, Chopaholic said:

Thanks everyone I do genuinely appreciate all the comments. It was a bit of a wrench to delete the channel as (1) I'd put so much time and effort into all the content on there and (2) Whilst it was a small, niche channel, the videos were viewed many hundreds of times on average, with some getting quite a bit more than that, and I didn't want to 'let down' those people.

(As an aside, the more popular videos were managing over 1000 views, with some getting to 1500+ or even 2000+, such as the Psycho Cash Beast Club video. The most watched video on the channel was 'Roshtein - fake money streamer?', which last time I'd checked was around 175,000 (!) views.)

Ultimately though it's supposed to be a hobby, and when a hobby has started to cause you a degree of stress and worry, it's probably time to change things.

@wearecity is quite correct that the channel ended up going in directions I really wasn't expecting when I started it, once I began dropping little anecdotes and stories into the videos - (which I did very early on, and it was very well received) - they morphed into something far more personal, culminating of course with the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, which became a series.

(I remember recording the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, it was late one evening and I'd had a small sherry or two, and the idea of getting some of this horrible stuff 'out of me' had been percolating in my head for a while, so I went downstairs and just recorded it, it all just came out. It was a bombsite and the footage sat on my hard drive for months, I didn't think it was salvageable but I decided to try and edit it together one evening and managed to get it into a coherent state, and the first Gambling Low Ebbs video was born, it got a really positive reaction in the comments (as well as here at DIF) and I leaned more into the personal story/anecdote/feelings side of things going forward.)

The simple truth is though, that many of those videos contained a lot of personal stuff, including descriptions of activities that were flat out illegal, and we all know how stuff can 'reach through time' to bite you on the arse these days, and I didn't want that to happen.

(I'm not going to go into specifics here, and nothing horrible happened, but I will say that my online name and channel, crossed paths with my professional real life in a way I really didn't like, and it made me realise that a genuinely malicious actor could make serious trouble for me if things had gone in a different direction. (It's not just that, there's some other stuff too.) Oh yes and there was also an attempt to hack my Google account, that came as a result of the Online Slots stuff, mutil-factor authentication FTW there. Oh and the guy who threatened to track me down and beat me up over the Alien method video, which was nice. Ultimately though it was the IRL crossover, along with some of my changing circumstances, that made me go ahead and delete the channel.)

This is not the exact scenario, but imagine you're working with a new customer on a big project, there's a lot of money at stake and you're a key resource on this project, and your online identity and YouTube channel are known to the customer, something goes wrong and/or someone decides they don't like you, and they're also aware of (multiple!) videos where you graphically describe taking drugs, dealing drugs, abusing alcohol, stealing, and being utterly consumed by gambling to the point of self-harm, hospitalisation, hunger and desperation - are you potentially compromised by those videos?

I did consider doing a 'sanitising sweep' on the channel to leave behind only the 'safest' videos, but that idea was dead in the water because the personal stuff was woven so much into so many videos, plus I really hated the idea of butchering my own content, to me it either had to be 100% genuine or not at all. I also considered self-censoring future videos either during the recording or editing phase, but again, that felt totally alien to me and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it and not hate what I was making.

It wasn't a rash or impulsive decision to delete the channel, it's actually been bothering me for a while now, and whilst I am genuinely sorry to those who watched and enjoyed the channel because it's no longer there, I can't lie, it's actually a weight off my shoulders now, so I know I made the right decision. I know it sounds harsh, but as wearecity notes above, it's a big risk to take for videos that are often only getting a few hundred views and generate no income. (The channel would have only earned pennies even if I did monetise it, but I was adamant that it should purely be a passion project so never went down that route, or asked for donations on Patreon or anything like that.)

When I started the channel I had no earthly idea if anyone at all would watch it, so it was nice to see it grow into a reasonable little channel, and I'm delighted to have been able to introduce new people to fruit machine emulation, Arcade Simulator, and of course the community here at Desert Island Fruits or elsewhere such as The Mecca and Dad's FME.

Please note that I did a hard-delete on the channel, it doesn't exist on YouTube anymore so the content is gone in that regard, thus I do not have the option of sending out private links to anything such as @Boulderdash asking above if he can have a link to the Ebbs videos. However, I have got backups of every video I made for the channel, so if there's anything anyone wants a copy of I'm sure we can work something out. (I'll PM you about the Ebbs videos Boulderdash, and @dad you're welcome to have a copy of the DAD Tribute video :) )

Hi Alarmkid the raw file for that video is 10GB in size so that's not getting emailed anywhere!

I'm currently musing on the possibility of opening a new channel and working through uploading the old channel's back catalogue to make them available again, but can't say for sure if/when it'll happen yet.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 2

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

Hi Alarmkid the raw file for that video is 10GB in size so that's not getting emailed anywhere!

I'm currently musing on the possibility of opening a new channel and working through uploading the old channel's back catalogue to make them available again, but can't say for sure if/when it'll happen yet.

Hi 

I hope this site comes into being, even if we can only access your archive i am sure many people would join up and support this kind of site and content from you.

• Like 1

I too hope the channel returns.

Perhaps it could return as a private video channel, where people could only watch them if they click on a link in this thread for instance. Or certainty ones you consider controversial and bring trouble to your door. 

It would miss out on new viewers in general, but would still gain some through new members here.

I'm guessing you are missing being able to get your voice out there on subjects not just FME related.

Edited by wearecity
  • Like 2