YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

On 05/12/2021 at 21:46, logopolis said:

That's fine because there are a few other methods or empties that you could cover. I think Fruitopia was one that would benefit from your commentary and also Ready To Rock. Both of these could do with a £25 Dx to be honest. The only thing that needs to be changed in the layout is the jackpot amount from £15 to £25. I don't think the other wins change as far as I can recall.

For both of you guys who do these empties/game play videos, if you need decals changed on games I’m happy to edit things for you, just pm the game and requirements and I’ll do my best to help!! Also please try and get permission from the original creator if possible as I don’t want to cause any disdain by editing peers work! 

• Like 2

living the dream

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

Hi folks just a heads-up my channel is now deleted, so if you're looking for it nothing has gone wrong, it's how I want it to be.

😞😞😞

If you don't want to explain then fair enough.

Just want to point out your footer (link) on here will need removing I guess too

• Like 2

Your box will be CASHPOT

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

Hi folks just a heads-up my channel is now deleted, so if you're looking for it nothing has gone wrong, it's how I want it to be.

Wow, I'm so sad to see your channel go!!   What happened mate? Absolutely gutted for you, was one of my go to channels for sure.

Hope you are ok mate, take care dude ;)

J

• Like 4

Morning folks it wasn't the easiest decision to make but it's been on my mind for a while now, a few things have changed for me IRL, including professionally, and I was uncomfortable with so much of me being 'out there' as it were, it was no great secret who I was and there was a lot of personal stuff on the channel.

On a wider note my enthusiasm for making videos had been rather on the wane, the death of Chris really hit me and cast a shadow over things that I tried my best to combat, but ultimately didn't succeed in doing.

I'm glad I got all but one of the Gambling Low Ebbs series done, and was able to cover the birth of Arcade Simulator into a public release.

There was the option of simply leaving the channel in stasis rather than deleting it, but it had started to 'cross the streams' in some ways I wasn't entirely comfortable with, and quite frankly was becoming a source of worry.

Thanks to all who watched and commented, I hope you enjoyed the videos, the channel had a run of almost exactly four years, in which time I produced hundreds of videos that received many hundreds of thousands of views in total, and it was a pleasure to have the chance to make something that so many people connected with.

• Like 14
  • Sad 3
  • No 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

As I said a real shame.

I think the channel probably went beyond your initial ideas and I can see it would have the potential to upset your family/friends/work and even manufactures.

It's not worth real life issues, just to cater for a couple of thousand people.

It's the same, with all social media, you do have to be extremely careful, not to offend or upset people.

We live in a world, where something said 15 + years ago, can see trouble brought to their door.

• Like 5

@Chopaholic

Thanks for the reply bud, I totally understand your reasons.

I’d like to just say thanks for all the time and effort you put into the videos.  The low ebb ones touched me personally as they pretty much mirrored my own life at that time.

Anyway as long as you are all good mate, that’s all that really matters.

J

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, serene02 said:

@Chopaholic

Thanks for the reply bud, I totally understand your reasons.

I’d like to just say thanks for all the time and effort you put into the videos.  The low ebb ones touched me personally as they pretty much mirrored my own life at that time.

Anyway as long as you are all good mate, that’s all that really matters.

J

That is better than I can put it.. thanks bud. It was a success remember that. 

• Like 3

living the dream

I only became aware of your channel after you made some Arcade Sim vids, but I then watched some of the other videos too, all very watchable chill videos.  I know what you mean though, with recounting personal memories and whatnot on there it's all right out in the open, which can be problematic.

Thanks for the entertaining and informative videos anyway, it was a fun ride man :)

• Like 3

[ Arcade Simulator ] Pre-alpha installer: http://arcadesimulator.net  |  Known Issues: https://tinyurl.com/yz4uom2e  |  Donation info: https://tinyurl.com/yzvgl4xo
[ Community Drive ] The drive: http://tinyurl.com/yckze665
[ Fruit Machine Database ] Initial google sheets (WIP): https://tinyurl.com/2c5znxzz
[ MFME Launch ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/MFMELaunch
[ Oasis ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/Oasis
[ Sound ROM Editor ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/SoundRomEditor

That’s a mighty shame but totally understandable, yourself and real life always comes first. 

Cheers for all the videos, the gambling low episodes were especially deep and took me back to darker times. I think most of us can very much relate one way or another. I recall being with my ex, setting up her new chest of draws in the bedroom with the laptop..what did I do?! Only play bloody blackjack behind her back and quickly closing the laptop screen when she came up to see the progress. What on earth was I doing?! It makes me ashamed just thinking about it. I’ve been online gamble free for 10+ years now without the slightest of urges thankfully. Happily married and doing much better in life now. The only “gambling” I do now days is low stakes in Mr P’s solely for the amusement a few times a year. I guess what I’m trying to say is your channel was really something else, it just had that connection. A great host, great story’s, had a bit of everything and introduced me to the forum. I’ll definitely miss your videos. Thanks for the memories though! 

All the very best for the future.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Morning folks it wasn't the easiest decision to make but it's been on my mind for a while now, a few things have changed for me IRL, including professionally, and I was uncomfortable with so much of me being 'out there' as it were, it was no great secret who I was and there was a lot of personal stuff on the channel.

On a wider note my enthusiasm for making videos had been rather on the wane, the death of Chris really hit me and cast a shadow over things that I tried my best to combat, but ultimately didn't succeed in doing.

I'm glad I got all but one of the Gambling Low Ebbs series done, and was able to cover the birth of Arcade Simulator into a public release.

There was the option of simply leaving the channel in stasis rather than deleting it, but it had started to 'cross the streams' in some ways I wasn't entirely comfortable with, and quite frankly was becoming a source of worry.

Thanks to all who watched and commented, I hope you enjoyed the videos, the channel had a run of almost exactly four years, in which time I produced hundreds of videos that received many hundreds of thousands of views in total, and it was a pleasure to have the chance to make something that so many people connected with.

Hi Alex 

I understand your reasons and hope the new job is a success. 

Would it be possible just to leave the low ebbs as private rather than delete everything? They are a real help to me when I have the occasional relapse. 

Cheers

Ed

• Like 4

Such a shame but fully understandable.  I've spent many a happy hour viewing the videos, some of which I wished I'd kept now, but nevermind.  I'd like to add a personal thank you for my tribute/electro video which was fantastic.  I still get a kick out of playing PoolPlay :)

Merry Christmas and all the best for the coming New Year.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

Hi Alex 

I understand your reasons and hope the new job is a success. 

Would it be possible just to leave the low ebbs as private rather than delete everything? They are a real help to me when I have the occasional relapse. 

Cheers

Ed

on that point from a selfish pov maybe but with all due respect meant i ask you perhaps if you could maybe mute the videos that are just emptiers and reviews of machines being played.. no commentary or persona etc. as they were great memories and highlights for me.. i hope you understand my asking is not meant to ignore your feelings, i just hope to offer a way to help. thanks and best wishes

• Like 2

living the dream

Thanks everyone I do genuinely appreciate all the comments. It was a bit of a wrench to delete the channel as (1) I'd put so much time and effort into all the content on there and (2) Whilst it was a small, niche channel, the videos were viewed many hundreds of times on average, with some getting quite a bit more than that, and I didn't want to 'let down' those people.

(As an aside, the more popular videos were managing over 1000 views, with some getting to 1500+ or even 2000+, such as the Psycho Cash Beast Club video. The most watched video on the channel was 'Roshtein - fake money streamer?', which last time I'd checked was around 175,000 (!) views.)

Ultimately though it's supposed to be a hobby, and when a hobby has started to cause you a degree of stress and worry, it's probably time to change things.

@wearecity is quite correct that the channel ended up going in directions I really wasn't expecting when I started it, once I began dropping little anecdotes and stories into the videos - (which I did very early on, and it was very well received) - they morphed into something far more personal, culminating of course with the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, which became a series.

(I remember recording the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, it was late one evening and I'd had a small sherry or two, and the idea of getting some of this horrible stuff 'out of me' had been percolating in my head for a while, so I went downstairs and just recorded it, it all just came out. It was a bombsite and the footage sat on my hard drive for months, I didn't think it was salvageable but I decided to try and edit it together one evening and managed to get it into a coherent state, and the first Gambling Low Ebbs video was born, it got a really positive reaction in the comments (as well as here at DIF) and I leaned more into the personal story/anecdote/feelings side of things going forward.)

The simple truth is though, that many of those videos contained a lot of personal stuff, including descriptions of activities that were flat out illegal, and we all know how stuff can 'reach through time' to bite you on the arse these days, and I didn't want that to happen.

(I'm not going to go into specifics here, and nothing horrible happened, but I will say that my online name and channel, crossed paths with my professional real life in a way I really didn't like, and it made me realise that a genuinely malicious actor could make serious trouble for me if things had gone in a different direction. (It's not just that, there's some other stuff too.) Oh yes and there was also an attempt to hack my Google account, that came as a result of the Online Slots stuff, mutil-factor authentication FTW there. Oh and the guy who threatened to track me down and beat me up over the Alien method video, which was nice. Ultimately though it was the IRL crossover, along with some of my changing circumstances, that made me go ahead and delete the channel.)

This is not the exact scenario, but imagine you're working with a new customer on a big project, there's a lot of money at stake and you're a key resource on this project, and your online identity and YouTube channel are known to the customer, something goes wrong and/or someone decides they don't like you, and they're also aware of (multiple!) videos where you graphically describe taking drugs, dealing drugs, abusing alcohol, stealing, and being utterly consumed by gambling to the point of self-harm, hospitalisation, hunger and desperation - are you potentially compromised by those videos?

I did consider doing a 'sanitising sweep' on the channel to leave behind only the 'safest' videos, but that idea was dead in the water because the personal stuff was woven so much into so many videos, plus I really hated the idea of butchering my own content, to me it either had to be 100% genuine or not at all. I also considered self-censoring future videos either during the recording or editing phase, but again, that felt totally alien to me and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it and not hate what I was making.

It wasn't a rash or impulsive decision to delete the channel, it's actually been bothering me for a while now, and whilst I am genuinely sorry to those who watched and enjoyed the channel because it's no longer there, I can't lie, it's actually a weight off my shoulders now, so I know I made the right decision. I know it sounds harsh, but as wearecity notes above, it's a big risk to take for videos that are often only getting a few hundred views and generate no income. (The channel would have only earned pennies even if I did monetise it, but I was adamant that it should purely be a passion project so never went down that route, or asked for donations on Patreon or anything like that.)

When I started the channel I had no earthly idea if anyone at all would watch it, so it was nice to see it grow into a reasonable little channel, and I'm delighted to have been able to introduce new people to fruit machine emulation, Arcade Simulator, and of course the community here at Desert Island Fruits or elsewhere such as The Mecca and Dad's FME.

Please note that I did a hard-delete on the channel, it doesn't exist on YouTube anymore so the content is gone in that regard, thus I do not have the option of sending out private links to anything such as @Boulderdash asking above if he can have a link to the Ebbs videos. However, I have got backups of every video I made for the channel, so if there's anything anyone wants a copy of I'm sure we can work something out. (I'll PM you about the Ebbs videos Boulderdash, and @dad you're welcome to have a copy of the DAD Tribute video :) )

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

It's all totally understandable man :)  I'm lucky enough to work in an industry where drug taking is not so frowned upon (which is handy as I kinda cane them)... but back in the day I've worked in (safety critical) places like GTRM (railway maintenance) - where any mention of drugs was highly taboo, and engineers doing maintenance would be regularly random spot-tested.  It's all hypocritical of course with the legality of alcohol... but these are the times we live in.  Your real professional life has to take priority, it's the right call.

On a side note re the hypocritical side of UK drugs policy;  I had a friend who enjoyed a casual weekend toke, cannabis was his drug of choice - he really didn't get on well with alcohol, it just didn't do much for him.  Once he started doing HGV work, he was subject to the random drug tests.  So then when we would catch up for a little weekend session, he'd moved over to doing coke as a weed replacement!  Purely because it's not detectable by Monday, whereas cannabis hangs around in your system for ages... and he knew of a couple of other HGV guys doing the same strategy.  Also a massive pain for me, as then once I'd sunk a few ales I'd of course go fiending into the chop as well... though I wasn't quite up to the level of a 'chopaholic' for the most part ;) 

Edited by johnparker007
  • Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

[ Arcade Simulator ] Pre-alpha installer: http://arcadesimulator.net  |  Known Issues: https://tinyurl.com/yz4uom2e  |  Donation info: https://tinyurl.com/yzvgl4xo
[ Community Drive ] The drive: http://tinyurl.com/yckze665
[ Fruit Machine Database ] Initial google sheets (WIP): https://tinyurl.com/2c5znxzz
[ MFME Launch ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/MFMELaunch
[ Oasis ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/Oasis
[ Sound ROM Editor ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/SoundRomEditor

Ahhh, i'm gutted you've deleted your YouTube channel @Chopaholic :(

I used to look forward to the latest emulation videos, i liked the commentary, you could certainly talk the hind legs off a donkey! - but i liked that! 

it probably sounds kind of strange but watching those videos almost felt like i had an old friend round to visit, you waffling on kind of kept me company and sometimes i'd catch myself talking back saying things like "no, Degsy!, that's gonna make you lose!" or face planting when a Degsy guaranteed skill stop goes wrong! lol. :)

But yeah, if it affects your real life, obviously that takes the number 1 spot.

It's been a reel blast, - (see what i did there) lol!

All the best, to the one and only Degsy Degworth - it was fun while it lasted!

Cheers! 🍻

Gary

🍒🍒🍒

• Like 5

Completely understand your reasons and thanks for taking the time to explain them to us.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your FME videos and loved the personal and emotional side that you were brave enough to share with us all, its been a great journey to share alongside you.

Thanks for all the entertainment and insight you gave us and I am glad I was fortunate to have been around to experience your videos.

All the best chap and hope you continue to be involved with FME in the future. 

Edited by Mort
  • Like 3

If there's one thing I've learned from subreddits like r/facepalm and r/there was an attempt; it would be the internet in general is really stupid, as it mainly consists of young teenagers which will get offended at anything... myself included in a sense.

These people vary in pretty much the same way you described from the insecure people just trying to threaten you for the sake of doing so just to make themselves feel more powerful than a old guy (like really kid? that's just not fair), these people can be easily avoided. But then there's the other side of the coin, the hackers, these kids are just waiting for the right information to drop so that they can effectively dox you, and from what I remember from your videos the info you let loose could be enough for someone to dox you, THAT'S where things get serious. Now luckily enough from what you've said no one's doxed you but that doesn't mean that hacking an account is a small thing, it isn't, and your Google account at that? (who doesn't use Google)

While I'm not exactly happy with your decision overall as it feels a bit nuclear (extreme), I can understand why you did it in the first place. It's situations like these that make me wish that YouTube had some form of privacy setting in-between "public" and "unlisted" where initially they would show up as a private video showing the message "you need to become a member for this channel to see it's content" note that the threshold to becoming a member doesn't have to be a monetary contribution, it could be say a constantly changing password which you PM to someone over say DIF, or it could be a series of questions guided towards FME, that's just my theory but it feels a heck of a lot better than getting rid of dislikes.

Anyways, it's sorry to see the channel go, but as people were basically one step away from doxing you, your hands were practically tied.

From Brendo/the_bionic_beast

さいよならデグジーさん

• Like 2

Having been a follower of your content for many years, I remember the previous purge a number of years ago where it seemed like a similar situation was developing.  I have always enjoyed the content and will certainly be sad to see it disappear... especially given how much of it isn't really catered for elsewhere on YouTube.

As others have said, got to focus on the priorities though - if the channel is becoming that much of a liability, then binning it will be the right choice - as disappointing as that will be to all of us.

All the best!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Thanks everyone I do genuinely appreciate all the comments. It was a bit of a wrench to delete the channel as (1) I'd put so much time and effort into all the content on there and (2) Whilst it was a small, niche channel, the videos were viewed many hundreds of times on average, with some getting quite a bit more than that, and I didn't want to 'let down' those people.

(As an aside, the more popular videos were managing over 1000 views, with some getting to 1500+ or even 2000+, such as the Psycho Cash Beast Club video. The most watched video on the channel was 'Roshtein - fake money streamer?', which last time I'd checked was around 175,000 (!) views.)

Ultimately though it's supposed to be a hobby, and when a hobby has started to cause you a degree of stress and worry, it's probably time to change things.

@wearecity is quite correct that the channel ended up going in directions I really wasn't expecting when I started it, once I began dropping little anecdotes and stories into the videos - (which I did very early on, and it was very well received) - they morphed into something far more personal, culminating of course with the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, which became a series.

(I remember recording the first Gambling Low Ebbs video, it was late one evening and I'd had a small sherry or two, and the idea of getting some of this horrible stuff 'out of me' had been percolating in my head for a while, so I went downstairs and just recorded it, it all just came out. It was a bombsite and the footage sat on my hard drive for months, I didn't think it was salvageable but I decided to try and edit it together one evening and managed to get it into a coherent state, and the first Gambling Low Ebbs video was born, it got a really positive reaction in the comments (as well as here at DIF) and I leaned more into the personal story/anecdote/feelings side of things going forward.)

The simple truth is though, that many of those videos contained a lot of personal stuff, including descriptions of activities that were flat out illegal, and we all know how stuff can 'reach through time' to bite you on the arse these days, and I didn't want that to happen.

(I'm not going to go into specifics here, and nothing horrible happened, but I will say that my online name and channel, crossed paths with my professional real life in a way I really didn't like, and it made me realise that a genuinely malicious actor could make serious trouble for me if things had gone in a different direction. (It's not just that, there's some other stuff too.) Oh yes and there was also an attempt to hack my Google account, that came as a result of the Online Slots stuff, mutil-factor authentication FTW there. Oh and the guy who threatened to track me down and beat me up over the Alien method video, which was nice. Ultimately though it was the IRL crossover, along with some of my changing circumstances, that made me go ahead and delete the channel.)

This is not the exact scenario, but imagine you're working with a new customer on a big project, there's a lot of money at stake and you're a key resource on this project, and your online identity and YouTube channel are known to the customer, something goes wrong and/or someone decides they don't like you, and they're also aware of (multiple!) videos where you graphically describe taking drugs, dealing drugs, abusing alcohol, stealing, and being utterly consumed by gambling to the point of self-harm, hospitalisation, hunger and desperation - are you potentially compromised by those videos?

I did consider doing a 'sanitising sweep' on the channel to leave behind only the 'safest' videos, but that idea was dead in the water because the personal stuff was woven so much into so many videos, plus I really hated the idea of butchering my own content, to me it either had to be 100% genuine or not at all. I also considered self-censoring future videos either during the recording or editing phase, but again, that felt totally alien to me and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it and not hate what I was making.

It wasn't a rash or impulsive decision to delete the channel, it's actually been bothering me for a while now, and whilst I am genuinely sorry to those who watched and enjoyed the channel because it's no longer there, I can't lie, it's actually a weight off my shoulders now, so I know I made the right decision. I know it sounds harsh, but as wearecity notes above, it's a big risk to take for videos that are often only getting a few hundred views and generate no income. (The channel would have only earned pennies even if I did monetise it, but I was adamant that it should purely be a passion project so never went down that route, or asked for donations on Patreon or anything like that.)

When I started the channel I had no earthly idea if anyone at all would watch it, so it was nice to see it grow into a reasonable little channel, and I'm delighted to have been able to introduce new people to fruit machine emulation, Arcade Simulator, and of course the community here at Desert Island Fruits or elsewhere such as The Mecca and Dad's FME.

Please note that I did a hard-delete on the channel, it doesn't exist on YouTube anymore so the content is gone in that regard, thus I do not have the option of sending out private links to anything such as @Boulderdash asking above if he can have a link to the Ebbs videos. However, I have got backups of every video I made for the channel, so if there's anything anyone wants a copy of I'm sure we can work something out. (I'll PM you about the Ebbs videos Boulderdash, and @dad you're welcome to have a copy of the DAD Tribute video :) )

Google deletes nothing, no matter what they pretend 🤣

• Like 3