YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

Hope you don't mind Degsy but

I liked a trance track that you played somewhere in one of your fairly recent videos,can't for the life of me find which section of which video it was but I tracked down said tune (which for anyone who knows anything about trying to track down music can be virtually impossible to do sometimes,especially obscure stuff or without lyrics) but this time quite easy to find, using some online audio analyzer which actually worked for once.

It was this the straight into it version

or for those who like full like me its this

quite a nice little uplifting track from

Polish Trance/Progressive producer team after a quick check on Discogs

• Like 1

Awesome stuff char, I've always wondered what that track is called! :) (It didn't flag anything up on a YouTube content match, which is usually very good at recognising even very obscure tunes.)

(I used the track at the end of the Gambling Low Ebbs video, but you'll also hear snippets of it in other videos.)

I have several hundred hours of trance that I recorded off a now-defunct site called TRANCE.FM - it streamed trance 24 hours per day and had three different trance channels to choose from.

I figured it might not last forever, so I set an old Windows XP up, and simply left it recording 24 hours per day for a few days at a time (using a program called All Sound Recorder XP), and repeated this several months apart. I then used a File Chopping utility to split the MASSIVE resulting MP3 files into 1 hour chunks, and renamed them all numerically.

Of course, there are no tags or names or anything, so the whole thing is completely anonymous from an artist/track name perspective, which means I have no idea what anything is called!

As such, it's great to finally solve one of the mysteries!

TRANCE.FM closed down about three years ago, and doesn't exist anymore. However, contained within the hundreds of MP3 files I have is some of the nicest trance I've ever heard, and the vast majority is stuff I'd never heard before. (There's also a fair bit of sub-standard stuff in there as well, of course.)

If anyone wants a copy it'll all fit on a 64GB USB key.

Cheers char - very interesting post!

image.png.bbbf92439b0dcdfb4f4f5b139e1fcbe7.png

image.thumb.png.11ceac1452fd97318a198f459c5849da.png

image.png.6d39971fccb6714b510a73cbde52cef9.png

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late & long reply Degsy,I didn't mean to hijack your thread again,this will be the last time as I'm going to set up a thread about music with  you-tube links if Reg okays it,I''ll check with him first.

You're very welcome, glad to have helped.There's nothing quite like finding a track you've wondered about for years to then stumble upon it and find out what the elusive blighter was called.

I think I used https://www.acrcloud.com/identify-songs-music-recognition-online/
to identify your trance track and was actually very surprised when it id it.

10 -- 16:
         Title: Like A Dream
         Artist: A State Of Mind
        External IDs: {"isrc":"CYA040900005","upc":"5055274085517"}

I've also tried midomi in the past and it only ever found one song
I'm sure they do really well if it's common popular song but I wan't to know what the hard to find tracks are called.

Discogs and you-tube have helped me.

Seen a ton of brilliant oldschool house/techno/trance channels on u-tube deleted over the years, its so sad.I remember one uploader who put up top italodance tracks from 1994/5 period only to get his channel stopped.I always remember the comment he left as a trace to his channel:- "It was a Wild ride".

to which I thought "It sure was"

there's still the excellent ********** for all that kind of stuff "touch wood"

Now I remember, hearing your trance track, at the end of a video,
SO that's where it was residing. I spent about 1/2 hr looking.

That TRANCE.FM sure sounds Amazing,must have put out endless good mixes..
Pity it shut down now.

With the set up you had and hours of recording it must have been a truly daunting task trimming all that audio and renaming it.Totally worthwhile nonetheless.

did you batch edit the files by any chance ?

I know how time consuming it can be to individually cut and rename each track into wave or mp3 files then normalising them, I've used Soundforge for audio editing and it's been my rock solid goto program for years."the Original" Sonic Foundry SoundForge from "ZONETEAMROCKS(c)2001"   not the later Sony iterations.

Also an excellent any audio file to any audio file convertor is Bigasoft Audio Converter
Its so easy to add multiple audiofiles and batch convert to wave,mp3,flac,etc
it can even convert any you-tube .mp4 file to wave,mp3,flac,wma,mp2 etc which is very useful indeed.

I'm tempted to post you a usb stick,for all that lush trance (I won't really) but VERY KIND offer indeed,  thanks for that :)

*** THE BEST TIP I CAN GIVE *** and I hope this doesn't come across as patronising

If you want to try and find out what a track was called, Discogs is your friend.
You can set the criteria and zoom in and filter out certain styles like Trance,Techno,Progressive House,Italodance etc from any period using the "Explore" function. then you can use the filter to show only the Trance Tracks from Germany or/and Uk 2008 for instance.

There my be a couple of thousand tracks to go through which is inevitably time consuming but DEPENDING ON WHETHER IT'S BEEN UPLOADED TO YOU-TUBE you hear some familiar classics or fantastic obscure little gems you never knew existed and FINALLY find out what they were called.There's a ton of stuff that sadly doesn't have it's you-tube counterpart so you're left mystified still wondering what that one would have sounded like but there's still loads that do link through to you-tube which is great.but with you-tube playing cat and mouse deleting songs you never know how long they'll be there.

Ps in Discogs always click the track/song title in the list,otherwise if you click the artist then it can list pages of albums over many years (more time consuming) unless you want to listen to an artists whole discography that is.

thanks for the reply Deg's and keep doing what you do.love to watch (and listen).

• Like 1

On 03/08/2018 at 08:23, Chopaholic said:

After last week's excursion into the murky world of online slots here are a couple of classic old lo-techs for this week's video.

Nice to get me Friday night fix on the video. Thanks for that.

But also everything you said in this video is bang on nail, The wild streaks fireball used to give out when you caught it right was probably one of the best £4.80 token payouts. And as for crown jester,it was one of them (i will just stick an odd pound in on the way passed)as didnt think at the time the machine was a very good player and listening to what you said only confirms this, no streak! But it great to see them both emulated.    

• Like 1

On 03/08/2018 at 10:23, char042102 said:

I'm tempted to post you a usb stick,for all that lush trance (I won't really) but VERY KIND offer indeed,  thanks for that :)

Thanks for a long and detailed post there char very interesting read :) And the offer for the USB key with all the trance.fm stuff is always open to yourself or anyone here at DIF. I pretty much just have my entire trance collection on constant rotation in the car, (so that's not just the trance.fm stuff, but everything else as well), it takes over two years in normal usage for it to cycle around (1-2 hours per day). Just on the drive home this evening a hardcore trance section I'd forgotten about kicked in and I was grinning like a loon on the drive home. (The old MDMA-tuned synapses still kick in to an extent...... :D)

Here's a reupload from my old channel (long deleted) back in 2012 when I liked to have trance overlaid on everything :)

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Great stuff Al...    I agree with you about Empire machines, I think they are complete and utter garbage.....   I do really like Ghost Train though, by far one of their best machines and did play somewhat like Roller Coaster.    High Spirits, I'm pretty sure could be emptied from the Rollin Round feature, I think it was true skill and you could hit the jackpot if you were good enough.  A guy in our local arcade used to hammer it when it was on 10p £8 cash jackpot.  Not really had a go in the emulator I find it such a frustrating game.  This and the Gambler are basically poor 'Barcrest - Jewel in the Crown' clones.

If you think these are bad though, you ought to try 'Global - Bangin' Away'....    wow, that machine is an extremely poor clone of Psycho Cash Beast, terrible machine, the anti-force coding in that is tight, though it could be emptied on an earlier chip....  which we do have.

J

• Like 2

42 mins of absolute class. In fact but than any shit on the telly to watch. Again empires back in the day i tended to keep away after getting burned on ghost train, and the fact that they were shit plus back then never knew anything about forcing machines. I couldn't understand why people loved pinball nudger so much. But again thanks to the world of emulation am able to try these without losing money and the mad thing about it is pinball nudger is not that bad after all.

THANK YOU.

• Like 1

Good video.

I can honestly say I don't remember playing an Empire machine of this era. Even later high jackpot machines I can't remember playing either. My first go on them was on the emulator. 

Of course Empire were very much involved at the beginning of FME (I'm sure your next FME history video will mention them), so some of the best Dx's early on where Empire machines. 

Also I remember the Crazy Capers DX was given to certain members only (possibly after you made a donation or something).

Their history in FME is certainly more interesting and appreciated than their machines.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a Degsy vid review of the excellent Electrocoin machines...  Labyrinth, Sphinx, Pyramid.   These were perfect machines for a casual player who was looking for some decent playability.  They have possibly the fairest feature board out there and the synth sound is just epic.   These machines were true AWP of their time in my opinion.

J

Cheers guys really appreciate the comments :)

I realise these sorts of videos are a really niche interest (which is reflected in the number of views they get) so it's good to know that a few folks enjoy watching them at least!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

Cheers guys really appreciate the comments :)

I realise these sorts of videos are a really niche interest (which is reflected in the number of views they get) so it's good to know that a few folks enjoy watching them at least!

Loved the Empire video we had all those round here 5p/£5 Jackpot tighter than a camels ass in a sandstorm 😱 brings back some great memories still. Would love to see you make similar videos about other manufactures JPM, BWB etc the good old days (well for me anyway)

• Like 1

Very good, shows how brutal these low jackpot machines could be.

I often think back and think, how the hell could I have lost £300 - £500 a month on the £4.00 - £8.00 jackpot era machines. But this show how easy it was be to be £100 + down after a 3 or 4 hour session on the wrong machines. Living in London and on my monthly wage of between £500 - £900 back in 1988 - 1995, that was a lot of money.

• Like 1