DX'Cellent

Fortune Wheel & Wheel Of Fortune DXs - Project - Proconn

Pook

On 11/08/2021 at 18:47, Pook said:

These have been in a WIP state for about 3 years now and have been a constant thorn in my side. There are various issues with these which I'll list, but as I've been asked for these on multiple occasions I figured that they're better out there than collecting dust on my hard drive. 

The machines are very similar but didn't both come in the same cab. I only had art for one machine so edited it to create these dual releases. The button configuration and shortcuts are slightly different on each. Each machine sounds massively different, synth sounds on one makes the biggest difference during gameplay.

I haven't linked these but the option is there, put both machines into the same folder and boot them up. Alt+L will link them so when you open the machine that is active at that time at the time of linking, when opened in the future the other will boot up beside it. Alt+U will unlink if you want to change.

Issues..

• Random 403 & 404 errors on startup, these will clear if left alone, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 2 mins. 
  • Wheel only lamps fully on one machine, but doesn't effect feature.
  • Machine sometimes boots with wheel unaligned, this rectifies itself at first feature entry and behaves afterwards.
  • If you get the 50/50 repeat feature, it pays more than if should.

Thanks to..

@captainhaddock for the classics, @evo1 for testing & @Wizard for MFME.

1625476344_FWWOF.thumb.jpg.63899fdd3de48cef2e49966ca2160605.jpg

Fortune Wheel & Wheel of Fortune DXs
Released - 15th August 2021
Author - Dave Pook
Manufacturer - Project
Stake - 20p
Jackpot - £6.00
Shortcuts...
0 - Enter £1
9 - Enter 20p
` - Cancel
C - Collect
1 - Hold/Nudge 1
2 - Hold/Nudge 2
3 - Hold/Nudge 3
F/W - Fortune Wheel
Space - Start
Thanks to...
captainhaddock - Classic
evo1 - Testing
Wizard - MFME
www.dxcellent.com

Fortune Wheel DX.zip 10.63 MB · 39 downloads Wheel of Fortune DX.zip 10.38 MB · 41 downloads

By clearing the rams on both slots ive found they work fine with no errors or faults.

They are both incredible!

The only difference ive  noticed with the £4.80 slot is when it adds up the wins.

This is a different sound to what I remember.

But this does not affect the gameplay.

Jay

7 hours ago, gemini17 said:

By clearing the rams on both slots ive found they work fine with no errors or faults.

They are both incredible!

The only difference ive  noticed with the £4.80 slot is when it adds up the wins.

This is a different sound to what I remember.

But this does not affect the gameplay.

Jay

It does clear the error but only short term for me, it always came back.

DX Banner.png

Great DX's of 2 memorable machines, that seemed to be everywhere back in the day.

I only played them a handful of times myself, as not into lo-techs as people will know and when I did play them, I was never ever lucky.

One small error, on Wheel Of Fortune the off image for the red and blue 7's show a £4.80 decal, instead of £6.

16 hours ago, Zippy said:

Got a happy ram for this if anyone wants it as had it sometime and is in the 6 quid version which was called Fortune Wheel, now I am seeing this is not the case as the £4.80 one was called this, talk about confused.com lol

Hi 

I think the machine was originally called wheel of fortune but then Project got some complaints from the owner of the TV show of the same name so to avoid legal issues they renamed it to Fortune wheel, but i would imagine some of the operators who had bought the machine in its original name, did not bother to replace the glasses,

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pook said:

There was confusion regarding which machine was which, which sound goes with which machine etc. I had conflicting info from different people. Which is why we ended up with the hot mess we have.

Hi Pook

I think the machine was originally called wheel of fortune but Project had some legal issues with the owner of the game show of the same name so had to rename it to fortune wheel. Obviously some of the arcades who had the originally named machine would not have bothered to buy the new glasses as this was the only change then as updates to the game came out the operators would have just upped the game and changed the decals.

1 hour ago, cliffc said:

Hi Pook

I think the machine was originally called wheel of fortune but Project had some legal issues with the owner of the game show of the same name so had to rename it to fortune wheel. Obviously some of the arcades who had the originally named machine would not have bothered to buy the new glasses as this was the only change then as updates to the game came out the operators would have just upped the game and changed the decals.

Makes sense but that wouldn't of affected sounds, not just sound package but synth sounds. Pretty sure there was a chrome effect cab version with a circular top which would mean more than just a re-glass.

DX Banner.png

5 hours ago, Pook said:

It does clear the error but only short term for me, it always came back.

Hi Dave

I have loaded up the slots now 3 times (after the reset)and still no errors in gameplay.

Played last night for near on and hour with no issues.

It's strange as I did the get the initial E404 error on both slots but after the resets of both slots

ive had no problems.

Anyone else get the errors after reset?

Jay

21 hours ago, gemini17 said:

Hi Dave

I have loaded up the slots now 3 times (after the reset)and still no errors in gameplay.

Played last night for near on and hour with no issues.

It's strange as I did the get the initial E404 error on both slots but after the resets of both slots

ive had no problems.

Anyone else get the errors after reset?

Jay

Hi 

The E404 error is the power on off alarm, designed to stop anyone doing the plugging kind of emptiers, you don't need to reset if you leave the machine alone for a time it will stop by its self, the length of time depends on the level of the alarm, level one will be about 30 mins level 2 is about 1 min it goes on longer the more times you do it.

22 hours ago, Pook said:

Makes sense but that wouldn't of affected sounds, not just sound package but synth sounds. Pretty sure there was a chrome effect cab version with a circular top which would mean more than just a re-glass.

I have to say i never remembered any with the circular top all the ones round my neck of the woods were in normal Project cab of the era.

7 hours ago, cliffc said:

Hi 

The E404 error is the power on off alarm, designed to stop anyone doing the plugging kind of emptiers, you don't need to reset if you leave the machine alone for a time it will stop by its self, the length of time depends on the level of the alarm, level one will be about 30 mins level 2 is about 1 min it goes on longer the more times you do it.

Hi Cliff

Great to know and thanks for the info ,but as I said after resetting both slots I have had no problems.

Loaded the slots multiple times now and all play fine with no errors.

Which for me is a first as I usually encounter multiple problems lol

Jay

22 minutes ago, gemini17 said:

Hi Cliff

Great to know and thanks for the info ,but as I said after resetting both slots I have had no problems.

Loaded the slots multiple times now and all play fine with no errors.

Which for me is a first as I usually encounter multiple problems lol

Jay

Hi 

Nope that should be the only one with these layouts, unless you hit CTRL+R to many times in a row you will see that error again

On 17/08/2021 at 11:18, cliffc said:

Hi 

I think the machine was originally called wheel of fortune but then Project got some complaints from the owner of the TV show of the same name so to avoid legal issues they renamed it to Fortune wheel, but i would imagine some of the operators who had bought the machine in its original name, did not bother to replace the glasses,

Good job that the TV peeps and Des O'Connor didn't kick off about ACE's 'Open The Box'. What would that have been changed to? 'The Box That Opens'....  'Opening The Square Thingy'... Need to create a thread where we list fruit machine names that if there were legal challenges to the name, what would they be changed to. I reckon that would be fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CompostCORNER said:

Good job that the TV peeps and Des O'Connor didn't kick off about ACE's 'Open The Box'. What would that have been changed to? 'The Box That Opens'....  'Opening The Square Thingy'... Need to create a thread where we list fruit machine names that if there were legal challenges to the name, what would they be changed to. I reckon that would be fun.

Hi 

To be fair that show was called Take Your Pick the open the box was just a catchphrase in the show where as Wheel Of Fortune was the actual show name.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cliffc said:

Hi 

To be fair that show was called Take Your Pick the open the box was just a catchphrase in the show where as Wheel Of Fortune was the actual show name.

The yes/no game used to have me in fits sometimes. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 11:13, cliffc said:

Hi 

Yeah you're right. But..... Isn't there a fruit machine called  'Take Your Pick' :4_joy: