"IM mode"/ Red boards / Flashing Boards

Fishsta

Sorry, I posted this as a reply to an old topic, and it probably should have been a new post.

I'm just working on a YouTube video about this subject at the moment, and I wondered if perhaps the hive mind here would be able to help at all?

Just looking for answers to the following questions if any of you know... 

The earliest machine with an "IM board" is thought to be Maygay's "It's a Knockout" (remembering this discussing from the good old days of Fruit Forums), do you know of anything earlier than that?

Most "IM boards" will still allow you to kill yourself with skill stops to Game Over squares or collect smaller prizes rather than the jackpot, but are there any that will absolutely not let you take anything other than the JP or top feature?

Apart from Ooh Ahh Dracula and Boulderdash, can you think of any others that will turn the Flashing mode OFF when you do something like use the Bonus during the feature?

It seems strange that all the clones of The Simpsons (Homers Meltdown for example) will happily kill you off on an "IM board" on the mystery (usually hi-lo to go)... any others that do this? One example would be Empire's Bank Raid, which will do the same, yet made by a different company on a different tech!

Apart from Clownin' Around and Ooh Aah Dracula Club, are there any machines that will just randomly turn "invincible" MID-FEATURE?

On machines where you have the ability to gain "invincibility" (such as Spiker The Biker with 4 question marks), apart from Gold Strike are there any others where you can still "Game Over"? (Yes, I couldn't believe it either, but where Spiker and Son of Dracula will simply "resurrect" when "invincible", Gold Strike will allow you to kill yourself if you get a question mark with "true skill" and stop it on Game Over, even with the 4 question mark "invincibility"!)

Hope some may know some of these answers....

2 hours ago, Fishsta said:

Apart from Ooh Ahh Dracula and Boulderdash, can you think of any others that will turn the Flashing mode OFF when you do something like use the Bonus during the feature?

Barcrest's Big Game does this too.

Apart from Clownin' Around and Ooh Aah Dracula Club, are there any machines that will just randomly turn "invincible" MID-FEATURE?

BWB's Volcano

• Like 1

Didn't Only Fools and Horses have a 'license to trade' or something? It came after Cops & Robber's Informer, but wasn't that far behind.

The 1st 'red board' i saw (i.e you know JP is guaranteed as soon as you start the feature) was it's a knockout, followed closely by all those similar era Maygays - Trivial Pursuit, Great Escape... 

3 hours ago, Fishsta said:

It seems strange that all the clones of The Simpsons (Homers Meltdown for example) will happily kill you off on an "IM board" on the mystery (usually hi-lo to go)... any others that do this? One example would be Empire's Bank Raid, which will do the same, yet made by a different company on a different tech!

Totally agree - seemed very weird. Maybe the code/concept was licensed out, or resold. 

• Like 1

About me: Arcade, Pinball & Fruit machine fan. 

At home: 7x Pinballs (90's to present day - Fish Tails to Metallica), JPM Monopoly60th (£10), Astra Reel Stampede (£10), Astra Double Jackpot (£5/£15), Astra Ready to Roll (£10/£5) & Astra Classic Slot (£15) bartop. 

Looking for: Astra Bartops, JPM Big50, Big Banker, Big Bucks, Money Talks & Maverick. 

1 hour ago, logopolis said:

Spiker the Biker could kill you on hi lo continue on an invincible board. You had to go the way of which one lit first. Lotta Luck and clones gave you invincible on mid feature as you were going round the board.

Ironically i was just about to post about Spiker, once you're invincible and you land on Game Over, it'll do the "Game Over sequence" then light back up invincible to let you continue.  Had no idea about the Hi/Lo thing tho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamessco said:

Ironically i was just about to post about Spiker, once you're invincible and you land on Game Over, it'll do the "Game Over sequence" then light back up invincible to let you continue.  Had no idea about the Hi/Lo thing tho.

Yes it makes you think you actually got killed on the invincible board but then it resurrects again! The hi lo thing is also the same on a normal board, so it's basically a guaranteed continue.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, logopolis said:

Yes it makes you think you actually got killed on the invincible board but then it resurrects again! The hi lo thing is also the same on a normal board, so it's basically a guaranteed continue.

Once you have the 4 question marks, hi-lo to go does still do the resurrection thing. It definitely doesn't kill you off.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, monkeyboypaul said:

Didn't Only Fools and Horses have a 'license to trade' or something? It came after Cops & Robber's Informer, but wasn't that far behind.

The 1st 'red board' i saw (i.e you know JP is guaranteed as soon as you start the feature) was it's a knockout, followed closely by all those similar era Maygays - Trivial Pursuit, Great Escape... 

Totally agree - seemed very weird. Maybe the code/concept was licensed out, or resold. 

Just to give you a clue where this video is going.... there's no such thing as an "invincible" or "Guaranteed Jackpot" board, at least according to the manufacturers... 😉

19 hours ago, Dougsta said:

Barcrest's Big Game does this too.

BWB's Volcano

Thanks for that Dougsta, I can totally understand Big Game, it was a similar kind of game.

I'll take a look at Volcano. So that will just suddenly become invincible without some kind of trail / question mark collecting, i.e. no rhyme or reason to it?

3 hours ago, Fishsta said:

Thanks for that Dougsta, I can totally understand Big Game, it was a similar kind of game.

I'll take a look at Volcano. So that will just suddenly become invincible without some kind of trail / question mark collecting, i.e. no rhyme or reason to it?

Volcano will randomly light up the BWB button during the feature. If you press it, you go invincible. There's nothing you have to collect or do in order for it to happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishsta said:

Once you have the 4 question marks, hi-lo to go does still do the resurrection thing. It definitely doesn't kill you off.

I probably didn't explain it too well, but what I meant was kill yourself by going the wrong way on hi lo continue before you actually survive the 4 question marks for the invincible mode. You know it will do invincible on feature entry because the eyes flash.

Edited by logopolis
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, logopolis said:

I probably didn't explain it too well, but what I meant was kill yourself by going the wrong way on hi lo continue before you actually survive the 4 question marks for the invincible mode. You know it will do invincible on feature entry because the eyes flash.

Ah, right, what I meant was where you EARN the invincibility through the 4 question marks, Spiker The Biker and Son of Dracula will do the game over sequence and then "resurrect", even saying "INVINCIBLE" on the Alpha, and continue the game, the only way out of the feature is to collect a prize. This is part of the point of the video, what people call "Invincible" modes, i.e a standard flash or red board, are NOT invincible and never have been, and having spoken to someone in the industry... they were NEVER guaranteed Jackpots or "Invincible" modes. 

However, Gold Strike will allow you to collect "Invincibility" through 4 question marks, as there's no "Game Over" squares the question marks are the only spaces that can kill you. If you land on one, it can possibly give you a True Skill mystery... and if you choose Game Over, it DOESN'T resurrect, despite the unlocked "Invincibility". I can't find any other example of this so far...

• Like 1