MFME - Cabinet advice

Sloth

Hi,

I'm building my 3rd cabinet for Fruit Machines. You already know probably that I'm going to use an old Acer laptop. I have also the Sanwa buttons and joystick from a previous project that I'm not using. So, it will be a cheap build to start. Later I could switch to a touch screen and mini pc, let see.

I have 10 buttons available for my cabinet, what are the main keys needed for MFME?

- cancel  - hold1  - hold2  - hold3 - hold4  - collect  - start    7 buttons for the front panel

are enough? I've seen there are also optional buttons but I need the basic ones? is this set up correct?

Probably I'm going to use Touch Play as front end since I'm more familiar with that because of my Pinball cabinet with Pinballx. So one more button for quit and one for back.

21 hours ago, Sloth said:

Hi,

I'm building my 3rd cabinet for Fruit Machines. You already know probably that I'm going to use an old Acer laptop. I have also the Sanwa buttons and joystick from a previous project that I'm not using. So, it will be a cheap build to start. Later I could switch to a touch screen and mini pc, let see.

I have 10 buttons available for my cabinet, what are the main keys needed for MFME?

- cancel  - hold1  - hold2  - hold3 - hold4  - collect  - start    7 buttons for the front panel

are enough? I've seen there are also optional buttons but I need the basic ones? is this set up correct?

Probably I'm going to use Touch Play as front end since I'm more familiar with that because of my Pinball cabinet with Pinballx. So one more button for quit and one for back.

That will cover the majority of machines but I would add another button at least as a lot of machines have an "Exchange" button. So if you have Cancel, Hold 1-4, Collect, Exchange, Start that will cover most.

Where it gets tricky is that a number of machines also have buttons on the top glass, for example for collecting a particular trail. Like The Simpsons for example. Someone more au fait with building their own cab will need to advise you on that one but you could of course mount buttons each side of the screen like a quiz machine to handle trails, if your top screen is touch then not an issue I guess.

1 minute ago, Retrofruit said:

Where it gets tricky is that a number of machines also have buttons on the top glass, for example for collecting a particular trail. Like The Simpsons for example. Someone more au fait with building their own cab will need to advise you on that one but you could of course mount buttons each side of the screen like a quiz machine to handle trails, if your top screen is touch then not an issue I guess.

Ahh, that would be a problem... maybe using Joytokey I could assign joystick up,down,left,right to trigger the extra buttons inside emulation, I have to find the default keys somewhere, maybe in some layout notice screen? Thanks

• Like 1

As soon as I test the encoder I have, I'll just buy a new set of buttons to add in the cabinet for extra things, Pacdrive I think is too advance setup for me :)

My cabinet will be very basic, it's already a weird project I'm assembling, could be a total fail if I cannot adapt my laptop in it...

18 hours ago, Sloth said:

Ahh, that would be a problem... maybe using Joytokey I could assign joystick up,down,left,right to trigger the extra buttons inside emulation, I have to find the default keys somewhere, maybe in some layout notice screen? Thanks

If they are older, converted layouts (like 5.1 and earlier) a lot of designers didn't use the "Notes" function and would often tell you the keyboard shortcuts on the forum thread they released the layout on! Great at the time but not now...

You can check the buttons yourself in edit mode for the assigned shortcut, in these instances there was usually some logic to it for the extra trails like pressing C for cash, N for nudges etc.

• Thanks 1

Trying to create a logic buttons scheme:

Some machines have cancel/collect in the same button for example, it's necessary to separate these buttons or can I use just 1 button? I would reassign in each machine maybe with "C".

In Touch Play frontend letter "S" take a screen grab so maybe for "Stack/Exchange" I would use "F".

So, in the front panel I put 7 buttons, the stack/exhange and coin "0" button will go on the sides.

I'm forced to use 12 buttons cause of the USB encoder I'm using, but have extra 4 key with the joystick, when you are in emulation.

To reassign keys I go in edit mode and right click on the button properties? Thanks

Edited by Sloth