Spiker The Biker - £5, £15 and £25 4K DX 1.0.0

(2 reviews)

3 Screenshots

About This File

Here's a trio of Spiker The Biker layouts, made using my photos that I took at Skirlington Leisure Park. At least I think that's what it is called. It did have a retro arcade section but based on recent videos it looks like it's no longer running retro machines. Let that serve as a reminder to people - grab resources while you can, you never know if you'll see the machine again :)

Anyway - back on topic. Layouts are £5/10p (I'd suggest upping to 20p if you want a faster game), £15/30p (you can drop to 25p if you want a slower game) and £25/30p (again - you could run at 25p but I prefer the speed of 30p at the higher jackpot).

It's a brilliant machine in my opinion - I owned one years and years ago and still kick myself for selling it. Must be coming up to 20 years now since I owned it. For some reason it was never cloned. I'm sure others from the same era weren't either, but I don't get why it didn't perform that well. It's got a cracking sound package, decent art, interesting upgrade system, and quite a few 'hidden' things. 

Maybe it didn't do very well as it's a bit predictable - but I used to feel very 'safe' playing it? 

Hopefully the layouts are fully working with no issues - I've had a few lovely people - @Mort and @Boulderdash - cast their eyes over slightly earlier versions and they both picked a few issues up which I hope I've now corrected. Knowing me however I've probably introduced more issues as I've made those corrections. Fingers crossed I haven't!

Some of the suggestions made I have not implemented but I will definitely consider implementing some of the ideas on future layouts!

Thanks for @logopolis for providing a couple of different ROMsets for me - the £5 and £15 are running early ROMs (named : BIKE) - which is odd as I've only ever seen ROMs named SBTR before? The £25 layout runs the SBTR ROMs as the earlier ROMs aren't switchable for £25.

Thanks to Adam on Facebook - I think he might be a member but he's not made himself known on here. He sent me great photos of his decals, insisted it was no bother and he wanted to help. Got me a bit more motivated to complete this release as without those decals it would have been £5 only and the decals I originally had looked terrible!

Thanks to @Reg for the site. I'll still tag him even though the account is closed. Thanks to @Wizard as always for MFME and the last 20+ years.

Thanks to everyone else who puts up with me and my ridiculously off-tangent WIP threads, waffling posts like this one, and who downloads and plays this release. 

Regrets? I built the layout on a tatty old 22" 1920x1080p display and only when I moved it up to my 65K 4K TV last night did I spot even more issues. From now on I will exclusively design on that screen, at 4K, from the off. Way, way easier to spot issues. Probably would have allowed me to get a more even result as well. Working on large art on a small screen at about 1/2 resolution makes no sense. In edit mode you can only see a teeny bit at a time :)

Enjoy what is left of your bank holiday - and if you find any issues do let me know! I'll swear, punch my monitor, and then fix them (in that order) :)

*NOTE* - I have unpacked the blended lamps, but this might be a bit hard for older / non-gaming PCs to run, especially during busy lamp cycles (jackpot sequence e.t.c.).

Runs fine on my old and new gaming machines at 1080p and 4K respectively. If needs be I can release a fix with no blended lamps for those who need it. Will see what the feedback is like first.

Edited by slotsmagic

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

cheers man for this .. as for running on older machines best to turn some of the ms stuff off in msconfig and other services as they anit never ever needed ,,its stupid why they there in the 1st place ...ps the sounds is awesome !!

Edited by geordie52
  • Like 2

Very nice thanks so much for this release. I agree it is a nice game and am also surprised there were not a couple of different themed re glasses. The only other I think was Smokey Bikin BWB version of Spiker but that is the same but different win values. I used to love thinking am I gonna get a four start on the board. Nice when it happened. Thanks again for the release.

• Like 1

Who you calling retro? This is a bloody modern machine, this!

Fuck I'm getting old.

Thanks for the layout and added depression.

• Like 2