Spiker The Biker - £5, £15 and £25 4K DX 1.0.0

(2 reviews)

3 Screenshots

About This File

Here's a trio of Spiker The Biker layouts, made using my photos that I took at Skirlington Leisure Park. At least I think that's what it is called. It did have a retro arcade section but based on recent videos it looks like it's no longer running retro machines. Let that serve as a reminder to people - grab resources while you can, you never know if you'll see the machine again :)

Anyway - back on topic. Layouts are £5/10p (I'd suggest upping to 20p if you want a faster game), £15/30p (you can drop to 25p if you want a slower game) and £25/30p (again - you could run at 25p but I prefer the speed of 30p at the higher jackpot).

It's a brilliant machine in my opinion - I owned one years and years ago and still kick myself for selling it. Must be coming up to 20 years now since I owned it. For some reason it was never cloned. I'm sure others from the same era weren't either, but I don't get why it didn't perform that well. It's got a cracking sound package, decent art, interesting upgrade system, and quite a few 'hidden' things. 

Maybe it didn't do very well as it's a bit predictable - but I used to feel very 'safe' playing it? 

Hopefully the layouts are fully working with no issues - I've had a few lovely people - @Mort and @Boulderdash - cast their eyes over slightly earlier versions and they both picked a few issues up which I hope I've now corrected. Knowing me however I've probably introduced more issues as I've made those corrections. Fingers crossed I haven't!

Some of the suggestions made I have not implemented but I will definitely consider implementing some of the ideas on future layouts!

Thanks for @logopolis for providing a couple of different ROMsets for me - the £5 and £15 are running early ROMs (named : BIKE) - which is odd as I've only ever seen ROMs named SBTR before? The £25 layout runs the SBTR ROMs as the earlier ROMs aren't switchable for £25.

Thanks to Adam on Facebook - I think he might be a member but he's not made himself known on here. He sent me great photos of his decals, insisted it was no bother and he wanted to help. Got me a bit more motivated to complete this release as without those decals it would have been £5 only and the decals I originally had looked terrible!

Thanks to @Reg for the site. I'll still tag him even though the account is closed. Thanks to @Wizard as always for MFME and the last 20+ years.

Thanks to everyone else who puts up with me and my ridiculously off-tangent WIP threads, waffling posts like this one, and who downloads and plays this release. 

Regrets? I built the layout on a tatty old 22" 1920x1080p display and only when I moved it up to my 65K 4K TV last night did I spot even more issues. From now on I will exclusively design on that screen, at 4K, from the off. Way, way easier to spot issues. Probably would have allowed me to get a more even result as well. Working on large art on a small screen at about 1/2 resolution makes no sense. In edit mode you can only see a teeny bit at a time :)

Enjoy what is left of your bank holiday - and if you find any issues do let me know! I'll swear, punch my monitor, and then fix them (in that order) :)

*NOTE* - I have unpacked the blended lamps, but this might be a bit hard for older / non-gaming PCs to run, especially during busy lamp cycles (jackpot sequence e.t.c.).

Runs fine on my old and new gaming machines at 1080p and 4K respectively. If needs be I can release a fix with no blended lamps for those who need it. Will see what the feedback is like first.

Edited by slotsmagic

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 3

User Feedback