Sign in to follow this  
Reg

This Machine Rocks

doubleimpact_epoch_1.thumb.jpg.5f61ea2947c9e5d08c8d5df6aff464c5.jpg

Double Impact

The world of MFME v6.0 is an excellent one thanks to @Wizard for his coding skills and at this time of writing, @vectra666 for this vision to do this layout. The combined work of both of this people has given us the excellent Double Impact which would not be possible without the update to the reels in this emulator and some excellent work on this machine by the designer.

The original artwork on this was simply a photo – and not a very good one at that.  There was flash burns on the side of the cabinet, all of which have been dealt or at least incorporated within the MFME release, we are looking at a very good layout.

post-17577-0-57329500-1514812936.thumb.png.084e50fa5d46cceb01ad75bb469026df.png

You will look at the photo above and then the original and thing, well what's he done nothing - it looks the same.  The key here is being able to make something look natural and like it is supposed to be as it is.  The photo has multiple areas of different brightness and reflections but when you play you do not see this.  I would argue that this is due to the way he has chosen to light this - everything simply feels right.

There is one thing – I did have spoilers and a heads up of this.  My recommendations were to change the following that came from the original.

• Darken reel gradients on base reels.
  • Change reel mask on upper triple reel.
  • Remove the lit border from Features Activated.
  • Soften the Jackpot and Repeat Chance legends.

Of all my suggestions I believe just the base reel gradients were not changed.  What you see if you choose to watch the video below is the modified layout where I have made that tweak for personal use.

I am beginning to fall in love with these photo style machines that people do.  I don’t know if it’s because I am using them in the cabinet ( as well as the main PC ), but they just really stand out well.  Several years ago we went through a period of history where it was all about the flyers, but with much better quality photos comes these really good photo realistic machines along with improved graphic skills to bring the not so good photos inline.

I know some people would say you’re only as good as your resources, but I swear the work that has happened on this photo is outstanding, even if it is a slight darkening - but the time and effort to make the lit lamps work so well. There is no way that I would have taken on this challenge.  You’d still be waiting until next year for this and I have other things to do before 2019.

One of the challenges is picking the right machine as well.  I think because of the thumping soundtrack on this one, it is a machine to turn up very loud and just play.

The only area where I can be slightly critical is the eight lamps just under the Step Down button.  They are a little hard to read.  I was going to bring this up when I offered original feedback but you actually get the lamps displayed on the Alpha and your eyes are naturally drawn to it – so no fault found.

@vectra666 does some great work for the scene and we have a lot of well-presented layouts due to the time and effort he puts into these.  He also has a knack of picking pretty good machines to do so we don’t get a situation where many hours of work go into it, people download and say thanks before going back to something else.

The presentation along with the type of machine and quality of DX means this is one I’ll play and play again.  I am slowly putting machines into my cabinet – but at this stage – proud to give this layout the following award…

CabinetApproved.jpg.f69ec7c56affb82ad5cf5add1210108f.jpg

…thank you for all the time and effort into making this layout @vectra666, for us the community and me personally, this is a great machine and a great layout.

• Like 3

Here is the actual original image used, you can still make out the ladders reflection on the base glass lol.

Back to the layout, thanks again for your in depth reviews and for your help in finalising the layout. Even I was surprised how well the layout came out given the original artwork.

The base reels turned out well for a change, I could've spent more time on the Tri-reel and got the left hand number reel the same colour as the original but again that's my lazy side coming through lol.

The bonus lamps that's due to the image used as they weren't that clear to begin with.

eBay images are getting better these days and a few of my past layouts were from there.

The best thing about this machine like most of these global/impulse machines of this type is the soundtracks they have.

gallery_17577_106_281263.jpg

• Like 2

Great review,your right vecs did a great job with this. I love photo dx's they of course have  their disadvantages such as some colours can be a pain in the arse to lamp,mainy blues and some pinks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, retro arcade machine said:

still loving the cabinet

You'll be sick of the cabinet by the end of the year - but yes mate - it's awesome !!!

Sign in to follow this