MFME Keyboard

Reg

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is brilliant. Will be following with interest. 

Please link here if/when you start work on the cabinet Reg. 

ive added a very early and then finished photo of my MAME cab I attempted last year. Would love to do a fruit machine cabinet too!

cheers :-)

IMG_9132.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

Edited by uptown47

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-3-6 at 6:40 PM, Reg said:

So it's good timing the thread has reached this point - I have been doing some work on how many buttons and optimium layout for them.

I believe this would cover every game....

KeyboardFinal.thumb.jpg.7dad160171e28c513392be7a69f2246f.jpg

...ignore the colours, the top left is Refill and the top Right is credits.

Hi Reg,

Would you mind letting me know what all those buttons are for?

I know some but still have some "unknowns"?? (also could you check that my assumptions are correct?) 

KEYS	FUNCTION
R	Refill
0	Insert £1
Y	
E or X	Exchange
F	Feature
J	
O	
A	Auto Nudge
D	Deal
P	Play Deal Or No Deal
N	No Deal
K	
H	High?
L	Low?
Z	
W	Streak
V	
U	
M	Message
`	Cancel
1	Hold Reel 1
2	Hold Reel 2 (High)
3	Hold Reel 3 (Low)
4	Hold Reel 4
C	Select Cash
S	Shuffle? Stake??
G	Cash or Bust?
T	Token?
SPACE	Start

Ahhh !

Right, you are looking at this all wrong.

So - the keyboard mapping is what I have hardcoded the keys to on the keyboard as this is needed with the I-Pac which controls the keyboard inputs.

Using the matrix I have above, I then know what key means what on the physical keyboard so I update the physical layout with the right keys to match the position I want the button on the keyboard ot be.  I would then configure the PAC-DRIVE.

So choosing a random layout, I would use these keys for it.

tuppennycracker_mpu4_1.thumb.jpg.6ab1d54d319ea15d0a4cb59fa39d4ab0.jpg

This would mean that only the following keys would be used on the keyboard...

Image2.jpg.776a0dd22fa68d2f973443201264fa29.jpg

The key to doing it this way was I had optimiumn positioning for 99% of games what I choose to use the keyboard with it.

The letters on the keys are essentially pointless, they are my mapping to the buttons.  I need to adjust layouts and put the lamp numbers in the PAC-DRIVER for what I want to use.

I see where you were coming from, but you were thinking too deep I think with regards to what you were seeing.  It'l simply a logical keyboard mapping to external device showing what buttons do what.

• Like 1

Hi Reg,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did guess that they were the keys for the iPac but I just can't figure out for the life of me which machine would need all of them? 

Or are you saying that no game would need all of them, it's just the positioning that's important. So you wanted the 'real world' positioning to reflect the 'virtual' positioning on the game?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to start building my fruit machine cab tomorrow (weather permitting) and wanted to work out how many buttons I would need. I'm going to put either 8 or 10 on the 'top glass' part of the machine (i.e. either side of the monitor - the same as No1Stoney) but I didn't know how many buttons to put on the main button panel.

I've got 15 buttons (that I bought from Paul on eBay) and was thinking of just have two rows of 7 buttons.

That's why I wanted more info on what made you choose that pattern and that specific number of buttons on your panel?

15 minutes ago, uptown47 said:

Or are you saying that no game would need all of them, it's just the positioning that's important. So you wanted the 'real world' positioning to reflect the 'virtual' positioning on the game?

Spot on.

I as this was a keyboard only, I wanted to position as much as possible to reflect the top glass - doing the positions that I've done here for me works.

If you like "Club" machines, you may want to reconsider how many you have on the bottom.

Before you set your plans in stone - take a look on eBay and just count the bottom row of buttons on machines.  If you do search of "newest listed" right now, you'll see that most of the machines have 8 - 9 buttons.

• Like 1

Good advice Reg. I'll go and have a look. I might do 9 on the bottom row and then 5 above them centred? Then 8 or 10 on the "top glass". But I'll definitely take your advice and have a look on eBay. I didn't think of that. 

Thanks again. I'll post some pictures as I get somewhere with my machine. I'm currently writing a bit of software that will send the correct pay out info to the hopper interface. It's a tall order as I've never written in C# before but I'll post it when I'm done. 

Im planning on posting everything about the build in case it helps others. :-)

Thanks again :-)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help.

The fme console has been made  and i am well pleased with it.

However things got a bit messy when i put it in a temporary box.Just a mass of wires so my question is .Is there a way of seeing which button is connected to which output on the pac drive.

I tried to keep them in order but at some point they got a bit jumbled.

I will post a picture tomorrow .

All done for around £100.

have done that its all good thanks.

Waiting for some fruit machine style  buttons to come that i've ordered for the bottom part and will then post a picture/video.Have put a bigger post of fruit-emu but not sure anyone realises that older posts have been updated.Like that your new releases have the pacdrive allocations though easier for me to use my own template.Really takes no longer than 2-3 mins to set up a layout.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. Interesting thread.

I recently hacked a USB numerical keypad, and made a set of buttons in a 26.5cm box that you can put on your knee, so I could work out the best layout configuration ect. Everything turned out pretty good, and the whole project cost under a tenner to make.20180814_081000.thumb.jpg.be3109ade859fc8b50ab4cd8fd326b9b.jpg

So my next project is to do a version with buttons that light up using the Pac Drive. However I am not sure which one to order, because on Reg's PDF it says the Pac Drive is (ID#1 SP) and when I try to order, I can only click ID#1 or SP. Do I have to contact ultimarc and make a special order? Or am I being confused?

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

Hi Amusements,

Each PacDrive will have an address (the default is 1). If you have more than 16 lights that you need to run then you will need more than one PacDrive (hence them being addressable).

If you have less than 16 lights (it looks like your keyboard has exactly 16) then you will only need 1 PacDrive to run them all. There's another selection which makes all the outputs (read: lights) "off" by default (otherwise the outputs will all come "on" when the PacDrive is powered up until it gets the signal from MFME to turn them all off i.e. when MFME loads a game up).

So just visit this page:

http://www.ultimarc.com/store/product.php?xProd=111

And then tick the box marked "Special (Outputs OFF at power on)" and your PacDrive should come with the default "1" address.

If you want another one at a later stage (or even now) then order another and select address "2" and then just email Andy from Ultimarc and ask him to send you the one with the Outputs OFF at power on. He's a great bloke and will happily oblige.

Hope that helps :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply uptown47, and thanks for the original thread Reg.

I have now ordered the Pacdrive to go with some buttons from Lazada. This project will come in at 60 Quid, thanks to horrible postage charges, but will be well worth it:)

• 2 months later...

Well my buttons got cancelled twice, and after re-ordering via ebay, only half of them turned up, so I have done an 8 button version for now until I re-order buttons from elsewhere. Works perfectly though:)  It looks even better when you resize the layouts to hide the buttons.

Next step is getting a hopper to work. I just ordered this one https://shopee.co.th/220V-6-holes-coin-token-hopper-for-coin-changer-machine-vending-machine-game-machine-i.45695614.760333891

20181106_103928.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Amusements said:

Well my buttons got cancelled twice, and after re-ordering via ebay, only half of them turned up, so I have done an 8 button version for now until I re-order buttons from elsewhere. Works perfectly though:)  It looks even better when you resize the layouts to hide the buttons.

Next step is getting a hopper to work. I just ordered this one https://shopee.co.th/220V-6-holes-coin-token-hopper-for-coin-changer-machine-vending-machine-game-machine-i.45695614.760333891

20181106_103928.jpg

This is superb!!! Great work!!! I love Supa Steppa too :)

• 3 weeks later...