Jump to content
Retrofruit

Eastenders Red Edition (BWB+Maygay) question

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, A:E said:

What are you wanting to do with the roms?

J

Who is that directed too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was aimed at you, you mentioned you couldn’t find the ones you wanted?

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A:E said:

That was aimed at you, you mentioned you couldn’t find the ones you wanted?

J

The empty ROMs for PP and EE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There aren’t many versions of Pink Panther that can’t be emptied, they can take a while to get going.  I used do one local that was a 1.4, this was the blue version, it could be a right nightmare, I’m pretty sure all of the BWB versions work.  They only work off jackpots, I’ve emptied a £10 all cash version and I think we have them roms hanging about as I tried it in the emu many years back and it was a worker.

Don’t ever remember doing any Eastenders, the Maygay or the rebuild.  Are these just jackpot pluggers, you can tell when it’s going to offer the jackpot on feature entry, so I imagine you plug these jackpots wins?

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, A:E said:

There aren’t many versions of Pink Panther that can’t be emptied, they can take a while to get going.  I used do one local that was a 1.4, this was the blue version, it could be a right nightmare, I’m pretty sure all of the BWB versions work.  They only work off jackpots, I’ve emptied a £10 all cash version and I think we have them roms hanging about as I tried it in the emu many years back and it was a worker.

Don’t ever remember doing any Eastenders, the Maygay or the rebuild.  Are these just jackpot pluggers, you can tell when it’s going to offer the jackpot on feature entry, so I imagine you plug these jackpots wins?

J

The emptying of PP and EE was exactly the same principle as other MayGays like Screen Play, Searchlight, Monopoly etc(Have done the vids on it). Any win that was plugged was forgotten. Believe, I did enough of them!! I don't know about the transfers of ROMs from actual machine to Emulator but they don't work and if you have any layouts with ROMs that are then throw them over please. I would be eternally grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 13:56, Retrofruit said:

Hi Big J

From memory my DX was released with the earliest version that was available at the time. However there are more sets available now and I have found a set on the same revision number that fixes the "I've lost a days takings!" sample.

I'll find the earliest ones for you when I get home as I have them all catalogued and labelled now.

OK so the roms released alongside the DX of Blue EastEnders were the earliest version roms available, v1.1. As mentioned at the time unfortunately these had a bug in that the "I've lost a days takings!" sample doesn't play when you land on Pauline.

I have been through all the sets that we now have (many thanks to Mort for sending these over) and have located another v1.1 set that has the sample bug fixed.

You can either rename the file to the same name as your existing ROM in the layout folder or edit the .gam file in notepad and change the name of the game ROM to match.

I will use this ROM in a future layout update as well.

I don't know if there are any other changes other than fixing the sample as I haven't played this one in depth as yet.

 

EastEnders(Maygay)ProgramSA4-388.zip

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the SA’n’, signifies the year so SA4 was released in 1994.   Is seems to marry up for earlier roms.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 13:19, A:E said:

I believe the SA’n’, signifies the year so SA4 was released in 1994.   Is seems to marry up for earlier roms.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

J

Well certainly I don't know 100% on this without an ex-Maygay employee to confirm it, but looking at the EastEnders romsets we have it would appear that in most cases the later revisions follow that pattern however there are some anomalies, so for example we have versions 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 all with sa4, then sa5 appears to continue the trend with v.3.2, v4.2, v6.2 but also then goes backwards with another v2.1 and indeed a v1.2! The copyright in the romset doesn't always change, in most EastEnders sets it is 1993 which would indicate the first release would be sa3-xxx or the first release was 1994 but design started in 1993. That doesn't seem to change until some later sets where it was changed to copyright 1995.

I would be interested to know if the program versions also followed some kind of recognisable pattern, although released machines started at 1.0 or 1.1 what is the significance of a v2 revision when it is on the same stake/prize as v1, particularly if at the same time a v1.2 appears. Perhaps in some instances it's different target markets or operator specific requests?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe if a machine receives a major update then the version number restarts at 1.0/1.1 as the base.   For example you'd imagine a MMM version 1.1 to have the emptier in, this is not the case so it's a later chip, ie SA6-???.  A revision that did work might be a SA5-??? and a rom version of2.3 or 3.2 or whatever.   Maybe the initial version with the emptier was also a 1.1, but we don't always have the full set of releases to browse through.

What I'm saying is that a SA3 release is an earlier release that an SA4, that's how I have always understood it and it makes sense when you look at older machines, 

For example Deluxe Monopoly SA2-356 is the earliest rom. it's actually a 1.1 so we can say this is possibly the original released rom and this is the original £4.80 token version, which makes sense, later roms from SA3 are all £6 tokens, possibly 1993.

J

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, A:E said:

I believe if a machine receives a major update then the version number restarts at 1.0/1.1 as the base.   For example you'd imagine a MMM version 1.1 to have the emptier in, this is not the case so it's a later chip, ie SA6-???.  A revision that did work might be a SA5-??? and a rom version of2.3 or 3.2 or whatever.   Maybe the initial version with the emptier was also a 1.1, but we don't always have the full set of releases to browse through.

What I'm saying is that a SA3 release is an earlier release that an SA4, that's how I have always understood it and it makes sense when you look at older machines, 

For example Deluxe Monopoly SA2-356 is the earliest rom. it's actually a 1.1 so we can say this is possibly the original released rom and this is the original £4.80 token version, which makes sense, later roms from SA3 are all £6 tokens, possibly 1993.

J

 

It would be strange to put the version number back to 1.0/1.1 if you were already on v2. You would expect that minor revisions would continue down the 1.1/1.2/1.3 path and a major revision would go to 2.0 then continue on 2.1, 2.2 etc. The question is what constitutes a major revision. One possibility could be that if you had 1.1 on £6 tokens then moved to all cash, you might put the all cash rom on 2.0 and if revisions to the token set were released put those out as 1.x releases following the original so operators know if they are on tokens they need a 1.x set. It still doesn't quite add up with the roms we have for EastEnders, I have them all documented with stake/prize/cash or token/copyright/datapack/contact maygay.

It does make sense for the SAx to be the year of release, internally the SA4 EastEnders sets have a copyright 1993 which only changed later to copyright 1995, 1994 seems to have been skipped but that's probably just internal laziness/oversight or wasn't deemed important enough. The Take Note set which is a much earlier machine is SA0-xxx.

The only way to know for sure what the internal convention was would be to get confirmation from an ex-Maygay employee - for now the SAx where x is the year number in the 1990's appears to be the best fit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is a text file from the original ROMDVD which held many of these ROMs sourced from BBS etc.

your theory about the year indicator would seem to stack up

maygay.txt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloaded must be near a dozen romsets over at, if I remember correctly(as it was several months ago), Emu paradise.

Edited by Big J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah that's from when Haze (remember him!) took all the ROMs and pushed them over into MAME. I don't think you would find anything different over there but you never know I guess.. If I remember correctly Haze sort of promised the world but his only real primary goal was getting the ROMs over to MAME - which is not a bad thing, but nothing really came of it, did it ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mort said:

Ah that's from when Haze (remember him!) took all the ROMs and pushed them over into MAME. I don't think you would find anything different over there but you never know I guess.. If I remember correctly Haze sort of promised the world but his only real primary goal was getting the ROMs over to MAME - which is not a bad thing, but nothing really came of it, did it ?

Fuck me, that must of been a while ago(and no, I don't remember him) but as going to say Planet Emu too

https://www.planetemu.net/roms/mame-roms?page=E

Edited by Big J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is a listing of BWB stuff and another zip file which contains this BWB file amongst others - many of these will be dupes from the ROMDVD etc. but this may help with stuff.

 

bwb.txt zzz_lists.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These made me chuckle

 SA5-054.ZIP      32,886  08/02/1995   EASTENDERS:WITH ANTI SPARK
 Dwnlds: 32      DL Time  00:05:42   PROTECTION:NON PROTOCOL         

 SA5-055.ZIP      32,889  10/03/1995   EASTENDERS:WITH ANTI SPARK
 Dwnlds: 19      DL Time  00:05:42   PROTECTION:PROTOCOL VERSION     

 SA5-056.ZIP      31,706  08/02/1995   ALBERT SQUARE:WITH ANTI SPARK
 Dwnlds: 19      DL Time  00:05:30   PROTECTION:NON PROTOCOL         

 SA5-057.ZIP      31,708  10/03/1995   ALBERT SQUARE:WITH ANTI SPARK
 Dwnlds: 7       DL Time  00:05:30   PROTECTION:PROTOCOL VERSION     

  • Shit 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anti spark wtf!!😂

Did they actually think that someone would go equipped with a modified gas cooker lighter😉😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If what A:E says i scorrect about deluxe monopoly being the second edition rom v 1.1 why doesn't it roll the 7's in on the emulator,it does in the wild and on later evisions than 1.1?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add as well RF that the maygay.txt I originally posted above does include a section titled "BWB Conversion Programs" which could confirm some of the BWB queries etc.

Edited by Mort
wording
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had it drop the jackpot in on Deluxe Monopoly, I believe it is the initial release.  I used to play a £4.80 token version locally and I only ever had the jackpot roll in once, we don't have anything earlier.   Give it some munter auto play, roms take a long time to settle down on the emulator.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tommy c said:

If what A:E says i scorrect about deluxe monopoly being the second edition rom v 1.1 why doesn't it roll the 7's in on the emulator,it does in the wild and on later evisions than 1.1?

Try playing it with tokens rather than cash. You will find a number of Maygays will spin in 777 when you are playing with tokens, presumably to "help" the operators stop players turning tokens into cash. Obviously in the wild players would have been using a combo rather than just pound coins which the majority of emulator players are doing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...