Desert Island Retro

Best joystick

becks

I found in the earlly days , many games needed a quick left , then a quick right , then repeat :) . Combat school was one , hyper sports , i found Daley thompson broke at least one stick . So im going to say hands down , i found the konix ? speedking joystick to be the best . It had sturdy microswitches that clicked like my knees do now :) , It waggled like a joy , tended to blister the palm but combat school was worth it . Did anyone else enjoy the wagglers i enclose 2 pics , one of the original speedking , and a later model called the navigator , which was awsome like a buck rogers ray gun but it lacked the hand shape , and the stick was too short for high speed waggling .

fdgfgd.jpg

KonixNavigator2.jpg

For me, on the Spectrum, it was anything that used the Kempston interface. Daley Thompson Decathlon, being the joystick breaker. I pretty much used keys on a lot of games on the Spectrum though.

On the C64, hands down for me the best joystick, was the Zip Stick Pro, with it's microswitches, yellow responsive buttons, firm grip handle and auto fire switch option.  I got one, after a joystick round up review in a magazine. Me and a mate, had thought they looked shite before. But on the basis of the review, we decided to try one, as soon as we played Bubble Bobble with it, we used no other joystick. Sure it worked on the Amiga A500 and A1200 also and I still have a ZIp Stick Pro somewhere.

Perhaps we are going a bit modern here, but after getting into the WII Emulator, Dolphin, I found the Nunchuck is a great joystick for simple games and racers in particular. It reminds me of those Konix joysticks and now seeing them again, it makes me wish I had had a go on the 8/16 bit computers with a Konix stick.

Edited by wearecity

Oh I had one of those blue konix ones, loved it. Played Bruce Lee for hours on it. Nintendo so ripped it off with the nunchuck.

Don't know how many quickshot 2s I went through playing decathlon. Anyone else used to hold it upside down by the base and shake the b'jesus out of it while running?

DX Banner.png

Zip Sick for the amiga wins hands down as it could take a lot of punishment like playing shadow of the beast 2 and other extremely difficult games 😁

IMG_5266.jpg.42fcb11a3aa21b946f778e49bbc72410.jpg

Edited by AK45
  • Like 2

For Fruit Machine Preview Video's    https://www.youtube.com/@akfortyfive4574/playlists

These video's created by me are solely to showcase the talent of the creators and all who helped in bringing these machines to life,they are in no way a guide on how to play the machine or show how to exploit it

2 hours ago, Pook said:

Oh I had one of those blue konix ones, loved it. Played Bruce Lee for hours on it. Nintendo so ripped it off with the nunchuck.

Don't know how many quickshot 2s I went through playing decathlon. Anyone else used to hold it upside down by the base and shake the b'jesus out of it while running?

Lol, I forgotten that holding upside down.

Mind you we'd try anything to get the javelin to go further. 

• Like 1

Now thats a blast from the past The Quickshot

Quickshot.jpg.bcd8dd66f642020d0635f7953d46405e.jpg

Rules of engagement, 5 mins loading game, lick suckers on joystick, spend hours giving it abuse, then it ends up like this.

1948169026_Quickshot1.jpg.3019a84a28c9ecaf1b3c7d3cebaf9bff.jpg

Trying to fix the thing cause one of the micro switches dont work and you think you can fix it.

• Like 1

Zip stick was a classic , Hyper sports was awsomes , think they had it on a saturday morning kids show ? , and bubble bobble !!!!!! what a game my +3 loaded it in seconds , was like instant gratification , the whoop whoop of getting an umbrella , pretty sure i faked a bad ankle to play that all day , it shows the great quality of game when you find out i had 76% attendence for a year :) lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, becks said:

Zip stick was a classic , Hyper sports was awsomes , think they had it on a saturday morning kids show ? , and bubble bobble !!!!!! what a game my +3 loaded it in seconds , was like instant gratification , the whoop whoop of getting an umbrella , pretty sure i faked a bad ankle to play that all day , it shows the great quality of game when you find out i had 76% attendence for a year :) lol

Perhaps not for this thread, otherwise it'll go off topic, but bits of Hyper Sports, were on a show called First Class with Debbie Greenwood. A children's quiz show of the late 80s. If you do a youtube search for First Class Debbie Greenwood, you'll see the videos. Perhaps best in a separate thread on tv shows or similar.

• Awesome 1

I recall many games needed a responsive angle ? up and left or up and right , many a platform needed a perfectly timed leap . The micro switch sticks were great for that , my pet hate was the sinclair sjs joystick , army moves plus a sjs joystick could make me go all ' office space' on a spectrum :)

Edited by becks