Desert Island Retro

My first pc computer

Timbo

Sorry I had post  reply because my pc played up when I did the topic.

My first pc computer was a dell percision dx 2 with 8 mb ram 524 mb hard in 1997 it cost me over 2,000 pounds. The best game I played was command & conquer from Westwood  studios.

Edited by Timbo
mistake

2000 quid  ! , bleedin hell . Betting you were the envy of many peeps at the time . Love the 8 meg ram , i was playing leisure suit larry in 97 , good game . my first pc was , pent 3, .450 ghz , 8 meg graphics card , needed a volvo to move it :) solid build , brass i think

My first PC? I can't quite remember much about it apart from it was an Amber Screen and lasted about a week.  I then got into the Amstrad 1512 range, then the 1640 (fuck me EGA a full 8 colours, cheer bliss lol), plus a 20MB hard drive fitted which at he time cost £395 for the HD alone.

My fist 'proper' PC was an Elonex 386 with 2mb of Ram which cost me £44 to upgrade to 4Mb running windows 3.

After that I went through just about every revision & upgrade going till about 10 years ago, when I'd just about had anough as things got stupid.  Having said that I've recently bought myself a gaming laptop ;)

• 1 month later...

my first pc was given to me by a family friend who was a printer/graphic designer by trade,so i was blessed with a DX2 cpu running at a blistering 66Mhz,24Mb of EDO ram,a massive 540Mb HDD, a 2x cd rom and a 1 meg trident vga card and windows 3.11. i was well chuffed with it at the time :D ahhh happy days!!

Bit late coming to PCs, didn't switch until 94, despite using them at college and uni....  when the Amiga had died on it's arse basically bit the bullet.

Made a 486, DX4-100mhz, 4meg ram, 540meg IDE, Sound Blaster Pro and a Cirrus Logic gfx card.  Doom on, sorted.

Then a Pentium 90 had an accident coming off a lorry, used that for a bit.  Duke Nukem on, sorted.

Then I upgraded it, P166 MMX, mobo, memory, Voodoo GFX.  Bought bits at a show, the chip along was 600quid.   Quake on, aaaah, sorted.

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn

6 hours ago, casbox1 said:

my first pc was given to me by a family friend who was a printer/graphic designer by trade,so i was blessed with a DX2 cpu running at a blistering 66Mhz,24Mb of EDO ram,a massive 540Mb HDD, a 2x cd rom and a 1 meg trident vga card and windows 3.11. i was well chuffed with it at the time :D ahhh happy days!!

For that spec, the 24meg stands out a mile, that must have been great!

NQ.

Forgot the CDW 2x Creative drive.

Now the younguns won't believe this, but, blank cds were 17 quid at the time.   Sometimes it really was cheaper, just to order the game mail order or buy it at a show.

Then a mate started professionally mastering grey cds.  Blobby, Playdoh and Ghost compacts with 100's of games on for £30.

Happy days....then instead of navigating to FTP dumpsites with file lists and ips, all of a sudden, the pages had graphics, and websites appeared............slowly on a 33.6k.

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn