Desert Island Retro

Amiga Avvv IT!!!

pbb

i started with an amiga A500 and not the awful plus version then moved onto the A1200 ,i too enjoyed rainbow islands and pinball dreams but there is so many great classics like "Lotus Turbo Challenge""alien breed tower assault""Lemmings""canon fodder""Turrican 2" i used to play quite a lot especially turrican 2 as the music was superb !

• Like 1

For Fruit Machine Preview Video's    https://www.youtube.com/@akfortyfive4574/playlists

These video's created by me are solely to showcase the talent of the creators and all who helped in bringing these machines to life,they are in no way a guide on how to play the machine or show how to exploit it

20 minutes ago, AK45 said:

i started with an amiga A500 and not the awful plus version then moved onto the A1200 ,i too enjoyed rainbow islands and pinball dreams but there is so many great classics like "Lotus Turbo Challenge""alien breed tower assault""Lemmings""canon fodder""Turrican 2" i used to play quite a lot especially turrican 2 as the music was superb !

lotus , and turrican 2 had awsome tunes , the amiga had awsome sound , xenon 2 pushed music in games to another level , auto fire off to hear the music , the other 16 bitters were good good too , but the amiga sound , set it above the rest .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pbb said:

So who had an Amiga, best 16bit computer/games console ever!! 

Used to play Rainbow Islands, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies some kind of fruit machine game, name escapes me. 

I started on the Atari ST for this generation - I had a choice literally when I went shopping for it.  I would have been much happier if I had picked the Amiga box with hindsight.

It took me about two years to have enough cash to fix that bloody problem.

Was the Fruit Machine game Dirty Cash - that is one I used to enjoy.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 02:32, Timbo said:

Amiga A500 was the best computer at the time.  It's the only computer I ever regret getting rid off with games like defender of the crown, gods, wings. another world, speed ball 2, syndicate were better than any pc game at the time. 

Gods was awsome , good call , bitmap brothers made pure 16 bit gold

• Like 1

1 hour ago, becks said:

Amiga A500 was the best computer at the time.  It's the only computer I ever regret getting rid off with games like defender of the crown, gods, wings. another world, speed ball 2, syndicate were better than any pc game at the time.

Gods was a great game also magic pockets by the bitmap brothers with betty boo music, Speedball 2 was great also and always remembe the "ice cream"  voice over the tanoy when you injured someone 😀

• Like 1

For Fruit Machine Preview Video's    https://www.youtube.com/@akfortyfive4574/playlists

These video's created by me are solely to showcase the talent of the creators and all who helped in bringing these machines to life,they are in no way a guide on how to play the machine or show how to exploit it

Still got mine up in the 500 in the loft with a try full of copied disks, sorry back up disks and a black bag full of ones that came in big boxes(dont know what that was about big box with small disk in??) cant even remember how i came by it, i think i swapped my c64 with loads of games for it?

• Like 1

i have all amiga games and have the emulator running through hyperspin so i can enjoy the games from yesteryear

21 hours ago, Timbo said:

What was your best shoot 'em ups choices on the Amiga mine were desert strike , project X , R-type 2 , Swiv , Wings of fury it is a real shame that you can't get games of this calibre on the pc's today. 

i once saw a friend playing hybris and that confirmed to me it was time to go to the amiga from a console the Sega megaCD ... swiv, silkworm, Battle squadron, Z - Out to name a few great shooters 😀

Edited by AK45
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1

The Amiga is the best ever home non PC computer.

So many classic games on it, such as Rainbow Islands, Pinball Games, Railroad Tycoon, Turrican games. Quake shows what the Amiga was capable of. Just don't mention Outrun.

I dip in and out of retro gaming, but I did buy the Amiga Forever package, to go semi legit I guess.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 18:12, Reg said:

I started on the Atari ST for this generation - I had a choice literally when I went shopping for it.  I would have been much happier if I had picked the Amiga box with hindsight.

It took me about two years to have enough cash to fix that bloody problem.

Was the Fruit Machine game Dirty Cash - that is one I used to enjoy.

No wasnt that one Reg, the one i played was definetly 3 reals.

Ah those were the days - what jumps out at me on that video is the Automation menu - I believe I have images of all those disks somewhere.  Used to love getting given a new menu disk to put it in and see what magic we were then given.

Always much better with the smaller games - but loved the packers and often wondered why commerical companies didn't go down that route when you could reduce some disk footprints.

Just been playing leander on the amiga emu ( what else ? ) was a bugger to get going , well worth the 3 hours of ticking boxes and un ticking , cheated and ran it on a amiga cd , compilation disc image . Never had the joy of owning the cd32 but it looks pretty sweet . I recall , as a kid going with my mate to a massive amiga fest , think it was the launch of the cd , it was written on every bag , i bought lotus turbo 2 , sweet game , full screen , in 1 player . the magnetic fields logo and orchestral intro still give me the chills :) . Its wonderfull how a piece of music can peter pan you back to the  pinneapple hubba bubba , and half penny chews . Must say , as much as my body has aged ( friggin badly lol) , mentally i still feel like a kid , and i have hours and hours for old crap , which crazily isnt actyally crap , the new stuff tricks us to think that :) .I used to daydream in class about getting home and getting bang on the amiga , what was there? 4 tv channels back then  , fresh prince , star trek , then rick dangerous 2 , so glad other people enjoyed this great machine , sorry to go on , didnt have a girl friend at the time :) , and my mum let me watch the thing !!! , barelly slept after that , was well sure the cat was the thing , what a rush :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have an A600, I would spend hours and hours playing games on it. Some of my favourites were Pinball dreams/fantasies. World championship boxing manager. Championship manager. Any fruit machine games, there used to be a public domain games creator who made some great fruit machines. I remember one was based on a £4.80 jackpot low tech and involved travelling round the world, I cannot remember the games name unfortunately of the creator but they had great music too. Speaking of music who loaded up games just to listen to some game music? One of the best game intro tunes was this in my opinion...

I started with the 500 then on to 600 and finally on to 1200,there was a great little serial sky type card with a red and green led on which plugged into the card slot on your primitive sky box,available to buy from ireland ,to open up all sky channels including adult :)this card was used with two programs one called safe sex and the other piece of software i cant remember for the life of me but they worked great for quite some time until sky changed something then it was gone.Anyone else had or remember this?

Yes the Amiga had some great tunes, including some great demos with tunes on them. The Turrican game series, had some of the most memorable sound, right from the welcome to turrican speech. The music really helped spur you on, particularly some of the sections where you were in the air a lot. I seem to remember in some sections of levels on Turrican 2 or 3, it turned into a horizontal shoot em up.

Interesting, to hear about the cards for TV. Think a lot of the dodgy sky stuff, still comes from Ireland. Been in a few pubs, that have some sort of satellite set up coming from Ireland (you can tell by the ads all being irish and prices in euros etc...)

I never had TV on the computer, until those WINTV Hauppauge cards, came out for PC.

On 24/11/2018 at 15:49, wearecity said:

Yes the Amiga had some great tunes, including some great demos with tunes on them. The Turrican game series, had some of the most memorable sound, right from the welcome to turrican speech. The music really helped spur you on, particularly some of the sections where you were in the air a lot. I seem to remember in some sections of levels on Turrican 2 or 3, it turned into a horizontal shoot em up.

Interesting, to hear about the cards for TV. Think a lot of the dodgy sky stuff, still comes from Ireland. Been in a few pubs, that have some sort of satellite set up coming from Ireland (you can tell by the ads all being irish and prices in euros etc...)

I never had TV on the computer, until those WINTV Hauppauge cards, came out for PC.

The flying bit was awsome , too intense to fully appriciate the great tune , Never mentioned this before , but i was a guitarist , in a red hot chilli , tribute band in devon for 10 years , played birdmans , and all sorts but i want to say this , my whole life , good music has always been a need , it has a feel , a clairvoyance . I stongly believe , fools gold by the roses could make walking the green mile , seem cool :) . I think the amiga really pulled me in with its sound , especialy demo's , and the cracked games that had a thumping while it told you who cracked it , and what to press for infinte lives and start level . To me the amiga must,ave had an orchestra in it , we hear the echos in modern music of some of the great tunes from the past .

14559.jpg.png

Edited by becks

• 2 weeks later...