Desert Island Retro

80's arcade games

1969kappa

Just returned from a few days away with the Kids in Great Yarmouth. Used to go here every year with my parents, sometimes twice a year. There were hundreds of arcades in holiday camps, sea fronts. Gorleston, Caister, Hemsby, California  - all with magical memories. Track and field, Ghosts and Goblins, Gaplus, Boot Hill, Rescue, Super Sprint, Rainbow Islands, Mad Planets - All bring back vivid thoughts of a certain arcade, at a certain time, with a certain person.

Anyway, it breaks my heart to see the familiar arcades of the 80's changed into ticket vending places - not a retro machine in site. Played an  Each way Shuffle by Ace that had been updated but, after £1, I gave up. I need to go to Arcade Club in Bury

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 18:49, dad said:

Nope not that one.  If I had to date it I'd say 78-79.

I was trying to find a football game I played in the arcades during the 80s if I was to date that I would say between 84-85-86. I have tried searching all over the internet for it to no avail. All I know is: it wasn't that bloody sit down World Cup one where you would control the players using the ball tracker thingy. I've given up now!

My favourite would be Super Sprint. After school when it was light nights a few of us would cycle down to the arcades and play a 4 player game.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:37, Pook said:

Oh it's hard not to split in genre. I loved a shooter back in the day, of all the old vertical ones I loves Phoneix. Pleiads & Xevious, when horizontal ones started to come out R-Type & X-Multiply were my go to machines. 

Other machines I enjoyed were Battlezone, Discs of Tron, Crystal Castles, Gauntlet & Robocop. I remember the first time I saw a Dragon's Lair I was hopeless at it but it blew me away.

I was same with dragons lair lol so I just used to watch it

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 09:33, dad said:

Extremely close!! This looks like an updated version of the original game.  The one I recall just had one colour (green).  Same principal - destroy the ship in the middle by shooting away the web and as in this vid you could fly off the screen and come back the opposite side.

Minefield no Vectrex?

Super Locomotive by Sega. I believe it's one of the rarest arcade machines.

I remember we played it to death in an arcade in Belgium (Blankenberge) on a school football trip.

The music was so memorable and many of us were whistling it for days.

I later discovered it was Rydeen and used on the C64 Daley Thompson Decathlon game and then found the video on youtube of Rydeen.

• Like 1

Hard one this, as there's so many. Tapper

Galaxian. Every arcade had one of these, soon as you walked in the sound of this just playing in attact mode. Great.

Choplifter CLASSIC!!!!!!  There is a remake HD on PSN and XBOX pretty good.

Hyper sports and track and field, Just hammering them buttons a classic in its own right.

Back end of 80s we had again some great arcade game coming out

Robocop use to hog this thing and in the end could do the whole game with 10p

Bubble Bobble. Again what a game great with two players.

Galaga 88.  The money iv put in this thing and still never got to the end.

Chase HQ. Great game but who when the time ran out, use to spin the steering wheel (P**SED OFF) and walk away?

Operation Wolf. LOL

Double Dragon.  Say No More!

Now this last one was 1990 but the only football game i liked and could play.

Theres loads more i could put here with video links but think i put enough and you get the idea. but some others inc,

Mr Do

Indiana Jones temple of doom

Outrun (still cant complete this)

Space Harrier

Mikie

After Burner.

Great days from the past and some of best time of my life yet playing these.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2018 at 07:45, Reg said:

Tecmo World Cup is a sequel of sorts to Football Champ ( I think also called Euro Champ ).

If you like that, I urge you to give this one a go.  This is a great game and IMO better playability...

Had a go of this and yes pretty much same game play, got though to the final but keep getting hammered!! 🤔

4 minutes ago, evo1 said:

Had a go of this and yes pretty much same game play, got though to the final but keep getting hammered!! 🤔

I used to play this in a pub with a mate.

It was ****ing annoying.

He was useless at video games - but this one game clicked with him - there was something about it that just worked for him ( and he didn't like football ).  I have always had much more fun playing this with AI vs a real person !   It's the same game, but I believe the title of the one I used to get beaten at was Euro Champ.

Damn those with more skills then me... :wag001:

1 minute ago, A:E said:

I remember Tecmo World Cup, there were a load of little tricks to score, I remember that it was possible to score from the goal kick in some instances.  Nice tracker ball game for sure.

J

Ya off the center line down or up to the corner, cross it and kick it in the goal 99% of the time back of the net. used to p**s my mate of some what😁 

there were loads of awesome games from the arcade like the ones mentioned hyper sports,vulcan venture,r-type,bubble bobble,street fighter,yie ar kung fu,express raider,outrun,space harrier,dig dug, m.a.c.h.3,double dragon etc etc etc tons of classic games

I liked most of them inc sindbad mystery (yeah the japanese spelt it like that)

16013201.thumb.jpg.e555991d03f3d48d79f3aef733b4b492.jpg

also a great game was Tiger Road by capcom

and this mach 3 which is awesome a laserdisc game you can play on the daphne laserdisc emulator on which I played a cd image of 677mb as opposed to the giant 11Gb mame chd files or there abouts, f*£% that

how could i forget the classics ghosts ' n goblins & ghouls 'n Ghosts

Edited by char042102
how could i forget the classics ghosts ' n goblins & ghouls 'n Ghosts

I loved to watch the LaserDisc games.   Remember Mach 3.   Can anyone remember Star Rider by Williams, it blew me away.  Loved art style, mixture of film and overlaid graphics.  I always remember it had a rear view mirror on screen.   

Here is a youtube link.   I added this version as someone has overlaid a soundtrack to accompany the visuals.  I don't think the original had any music but the soundtrack added to this video is inspired, really goes with the visuals.

J

• Like 1

Space firebird (1980) was a game that i used to blow my pocket money on spacefb.png.10eaa5a51391d50b18b0675b8d93d364.png

Rush 'n Attack (1985) was another one from my past that took my moneyhqdefault.jpg.38e56a51fd072b92cc67ad0a5d67085d.jpg

Nemesis (1985) my third choice for a pocket emptier                                    hqdefault22.jpg.4d2ba4f9f312a6d58d6d5c1d43edb642.jpg

For Fruit Machine Preview Video's    https://www.youtube.com/@akfortyfive4574/playlists

These video's created by me are solely to showcase the talent of the creators and all who helped in bringing these machines to life,they are in no way a guide on how to play the machine or show how to exploit it

I remember a game called Space Trek that I used to love playing. ASO (armoured scrum object) was another. I remember completing green beret  (rush and attack) twice in all the times I played it, it got quite tough in the final stages. Slapfight was another I enjoyed but was hopeless at it the same as Terra Cresta, loved the game music on that one. One game I was good at was Snow Bros. I got to stage 50 once (final stage) but didn't beat the boss, I was gutted, I had a crowd round me in the arcade watching, I was under pressure hahaha. Another game I used to like for thew music was Commando. I'll try to think of some more great arcade games I used to love. 

Edited by swanyofrug
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 10:45, Pook said:

This was one of my favourites, first time I really saw 3D graphics outside of vector.

Cheers for posting this! I used to love this game too but couldn't think what it was called. I've already given it a blast on MAME. 

Other games I loved were Track and field (played one of these for real a few months back), Mr Do (still play this regularly on MAME), Hyper Sports, Super Pang, Rally X, GORF and loads more. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 11:30, dad said:

In my local arcade I was one of only two people I knew of who could clock the original Space Invaders round to zero again.   Obviously we'd usually leave it on 9990 then wait to get killed off so no-one could beat the score :D

There's one game I used to play the name of which escapes me and I can't find details anywhere.  It was green wire frame graphics that looked like a spiders web, and you had to shoot your way through to the center.  You conrtolled your little spaceship the same way as asteroids and had these little fizzy ball things that came off the web and chased you around the screen and tried to kill you off.  It wasn't Tempest as I remember that one but fairly similar.

Any ideas?

was it radar scope?