Desert Island Retro

80's arcade games

1969kappa

What are peoples favorite arcade games  I think mine would be Mr Do,Joust,Tutankhamen and gyruss all for the same reason I was the best in my area at them with all the top score also liked Track and Field but wasn't to good at that could not master the three button version we had in our chippy  pressing the 2 run buttons alternating was not easy (best cheat I saw on this one was a lad with electric razor with the head off pressed on one button f%$k me you should have seen the guy run lmao)

• Like 1

Rally X and New Rally X.  I am going to do a video on them at some point and the problem they once casued me in real life - it wasn't always fruit machines I was addicted to - I was also addicted to arcade machines as well.

Following a close second to that game will be Moon Cresta ( the non-super one ), Crazy Climber and Indiana Jones.

• Like 1

GORF, phoenix, missile command, Defender (stargate ver), pengo, cosmic gorrila, tempest, twin cobra, nemsis, vulcan venture, killer instinct, daytona USA, and Space Ace..and too many more to mention..

i visited "the arcade club" in manchester eariler this year...that was a proper "blast from the past" the sounds bought my mispent childhood flooding back, BUT the atmosphere was all wrong...no fag smoke or smell...just wasnt right...

heres a video i took of the second floor... (doesnt start from the begining for some reason, so you will need to start it from the begining manualy)

Edited by shaun2097
rephrase some text
  • Like 1

In my local arcade I was one of only two people I knew of who could clock the original Space Invaders round to zero again.   Obviously we'd usually leave it on 9990 then wait to get killed off so no-one could beat the score :D

There's one game I used to play the name of which escapes me and I can't find details anywhere.  It was green wire frame graphics that looked like a spiders web, and you had to shoot your way through to the center.  You conrtolled your little spaceship the same way as asteroids and had these little fizzy ball things that came off the web and chased you around the screen and tried to kill you off.  It wasn't Tempest as I remember that one but fairly similar.

Any ideas?

Oh it's hard not to split in genre. I loved a shooter back in the day, of all the old vertical ones I loves Phoneix. Pleiads & Xevious, when horizontal ones started to come out R-Type & X-Multiply were my go to machines. 

Other machines I enjoyed were Battlezone, Discs of Tron, Crystal Castles, Gauntlet & Robocop. I remember the first time I saw a Dragon's Lair I was hopeless at it but it blew me away.

DX Banner.png

2 hours ago, dad said:

There's one game I used to play the name of which escapes me and I can't find details anywhere.  It was green wire frame graphics that looked like a spiders web, and you had to shoot your way through to the center.  You conrtolled your little spaceship the same way as asteroids and had these little fizzy ball things that came off the web and chased you around the screen and tried to kill you off.  It wasn't Tempest as I remember that one but fairly similar.

Any ideas?

Hi Dad,I had a scout round and hope I've found the right answer for you.my guess is Black Widow by Atari from 1982.

here's a couple of pics

kilY7Wx.thumb.jpg.1524dd878ec66d7f32985ebc2a2b060c.jpg

946798132_blackwidowbyAtari1982.thumb.jpg.8aaf1c2bd4c0272b9f117bf4f37bb3e8.jpg

885494889_blackwidowAtari1982.thumb.jpg.49b11fe137614c6ff451f1cb316b8823.jpg

if it wasn't that then hopefully this site might help with regards the name of the game you seek,

it's a site that lists all arcade vector games,and when you mentioned spider web, well black widow immediately stood out lol.

here's the site link http://www.andysarcade.de/vec_all.html

there is a pc remake here also if you're interested

http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=445

"Mr Do" what a classic from my childhood, was addicted to it and its sounds,along with dragons lair lazerdisc spent a lot of money in them both now you can have them in your home free,maybe i was born in the wrong era. :D

Edited by bungle
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Reg said:

Rally X and New Rally X.  I am going to do a video on them at some point and the problem they once casued me in real life - it wasn't always fruit machines I was addicted to - I was also addicted to arcade machines as well.

Following a close second to that game will be Moon Cresta ( the non-super one ), Crazy Climber and Indiana Jones.

Ahhh moon cresta yes I will go with that one not that good at it but I did like it a lot and crazy climber another one I never mastered but liked I dont care what people say about graphics and that sh1t in my eyes 80's video games were much more playable 

21 hours ago, shaun2097 said:

GORF, phoenix, missile command, Defender (stargate ver), pengo, cosmic gorrila, tempest, twin cobra, nemsis, vulcan venture, killer instinct, daytona USA, and Space Ace..and too many more to mention..

i visited "the arcade club" in manchester eariler this year...that was a proper "blast from the past" the sounds bought my mispent childhood flooding back, BUT the atmosphere was all wrong...no fag smoke or smell...just wasnt right...

heres a video i took of the second floor... (doesnt start from the begining for some reason, so you will need to start it from the begining manualy)

joust 2 never played that one but the others you mention were class I played joust for 6 hours on 10p back in the day another one I forgot was Tempest

8 hours ago, char042102 said:

Hi Dad,I had a scout round and hope I've found the right answer for you.my guess is Black Widow by Atari from 1982.

here's a couple of pics

kilY7Wx.thumb.jpg.1524dd878ec66d7f32985ebc2a2b060c.jpg

946798132_blackwidowbyAtari1982.thumb.jpg.8aaf1c2bd4c0272b9f117bf4f37bb3e8.jpg

885494889_blackwidowAtari1982.thumb.jpg.49b11fe137614c6ff451f1cb316b8823.jpg

if it wasn't that then hopefully this site might help with regards the name of the game you seek,

it's a site that lists all arcade vector games,and when you mentioned spider web, well black widow immediately stood out lol.

here's the site link http://www.andysarcade.de/vec_all.html

there is a pc remake here also if you're interested

http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=445

Thats very very close but not the one I remember, it was a little more basic than that . Thanks for looking though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dad said:

In my local arcade I was one of only two people I knew of who could clock the original Space Invaders round to zero again.   Obviously we'd usually leave it on 9990 then wait to get killed off so no-one could beat the score :D

Any ideas?

Starcastle?

Edited by shaun2097

Living in Blackpool, seen so many, Gorf in the swimming pool café, like Pook says , Dragon Lair was real!! Space Harrier and Out run sit down cabs. also lots of memories of playing 1942 in Funland before it burnt down, BUT Star Wars (sit down) in Mr B's arcade, PBB was the Hi Score all time.

10 hours ago, shaun2097 said:

Starcastle?

Extremely close!! This looks like an updated version of the original game.  The one I recall just had one colour (green).  Same principal - destroy the ship in the middle by shooting away the web and as in this vid you could fly off the screen and come back the opposite side.

pretty much anything i could get good time spent playing out of :) "ok i have 5 pounds, if i play this this and this i can be in here for 2 hours!" sidescrolling beat em ups and platformers were great for this, bad dudes, wonderboy, shinobi, altered beast, space harrier, shadow dancer,double dragon, wrestlefest, ghosts and goblins, any holiday to blackpool or rhyl and you needed to find me i would be in the arcade :P then sega rally arrived in the 90s and damn i was addicted to that :P

8 hours ago, dad said:

Extremely close!! This looks like an updated version of the original game.  The one I recall just had one colour (green).  Same principal - destroy the ship in the middle by shooting away the web and as in this vid you could fly off the screen and come back the opposite side.

My turn - I am going to go for Space War...

• Like 1