Desert Island Retro

The ZX Spectrum was better then C64

Reg

9 hours ago, bungle said:

Got to admit this makes the commodore models look rather crappy :)

Well what you're looking at here did come out only the past year or so ago.

There are a lot of new and shiny things you can get for the ZX Spectrum now !

On 02/11/2018 at 21:47, Reg said:

Rally X and New Rally X.  I am going to do a video on them at some point and the problem they once casued me in real life - it wasn't always fruit machines I was addicted to - I was also addicted to arcade machines as well.

Following a close second to that game will be Moon Cresta ( the non-super one ), Crazy Climber and Indiana Jones.

Mission impossible on the C64 

The good old days of the rubber speccy, it was unique in its own way without going up against the C64. Yes ok the color blender as it was called by some one whose family was posh and had a C64 at the time, the game play was simple and fun and in many  cases the games did play better on the spectrum even though the graphics wasn't up to much. Take outrun for the 48k excellent game play if not for the color but on the C64 totally shit. Yes good graphics but a poor game.

Saying that i did in the end moved up to a C64 but there was just something about the speccy that, ya had a place in my heart.

On another note about the speccy that kempston joystick box that you had to plug in the back and if you pull it out when it was on it F**ked the thing up the amount of times/repairs the 48k went in, with forgetting myself playing a game.    

I had both.

A Spectrum 48k when I was 13 and a C64 when I was 15. Gameplay wise I think the Speccy overall was the winner for me, because of the Ultimate Play The Game, games, which were much superior on the Speccy. Also, take a look at something like Bomb Jack, the Speccy again had far superior gameplay than the C64 and even the Amiga version.

Technically the C64 was the better machine and sound wise, it was stunning and yes we'd laugh at our Speccy friends, because we had games like Impossible Mission and Ghostbusters, which actually had speech, without an add on. But I can think of far more playable Spectrum games than C64 ones. The two C64 games that do spring to mind as having far superior gameplay  than the Speccy versions, were Buggy Boy and Bubble Bobble.

Amiga is however, still the best ever home computer pre PCs coming into many homes.

35 minutes ago, A:E said:

Totally agree.  Both Bomb Jack and Commando by Elite where superior to the C64 versions, graphics wise.  The Rob Hubbard soundtrack on Commando for the C64 was pretty decent though.

J

Yep, I'd load up the game, just to hear the Commando music, the game had terrible flicker problems.

Graphics were colourful but blocky on C64.  Spectrum had detailed graphics with colour clash.  

My good mate was over at mine last weekend and he showed me a ZX Spectrum game that he is working on in his spare time and there are coding techniques to have multicolour graphics with no colour clash, he showed me the main title screen and you wouldn’t think it was a Spectrum screen at all.  

J

19 hours ago, A:E said:

Graphics were colourful but blocky on C64.  Spectrum had detailed graphics with colour clash.  

My good mate was over at mine last weekend and he showed me a ZX Spectrum game that he is working on in his spare time and there are coding techniques to have multicolour graphics with no colour clash, he showed me the main title screen and you wouldn’t think it was a Spectrum screen at all.  

J

sounds like he is using Bi-frost or Nivana engine.

Never had a Spectrum or a C64 back in the 80s, my progression was Vic 20, C128, Amiga 500 but now have a spectrum and 64 with various fast load options. My spectrum is a JS128 in a plus case which is a recreation using original chips of the 128k version with built in SD card reader for instant loading and my Commodore machine is a 128D with jiffy dos and an SDIEC interface. I have built the pi1541 but not tried it yet. Oh and still use the Vic now and again. Even been building my own switchable 16k carts for the C64 with 4 games on and printing out proper cart cases for them so they look semi original. Cant beat playing the new games on original hardware

So fond of those 8bit days.   My first computer was a Vic20, everyone else got Spectrums, so I was the odd one out.   I did have some fun times using it though and with the 16k ram pack fitted there were some pretty decent games to play.  I used to play Perils of Willy and Wunda Walter to death.

My pathway to the Amiga was Vic, Spectrum, Spectrum 128k, C64. I did have most fun on the Spectrum, all my friends had them so C90 full of games was nice back then.

J

7 hours ago, Gary said:

Even been building my own switchable 16k carts for the C64 with 4 games on and printing out proper cart cases for them so they look semi original. Cant beat playing the new games on original hardware

That deserves a thread of it's own !

On 01/11/2018 at 13:46, A:E said:

Yeah boots was the place that had all games.  I didn’t buy many games as my mates dad used to get pirated tapes from his work every other week.   Was s bit naughty but when you’re a kid it seems ok.

J

Those were the days when Boots used to sell games😃 I was once in Boots buying a Spectrum game and when I came out some tosser had nicked me BMX!!

14 hours ago, A:E said:

So fond of those 8bit days.   My first computer was a Vic20, everyone else got Spectrums, so I was the odd one out.   I did have some fun times using it though and with the 16k ram pack fitted there were some pretty decent games to play.  I used to play Perils of Willy and Wunda Walter to death.

My pathway to the Amiga was Vic, Spectrum, Spectrum 128k, C64. I did have most fun on the Spectrum, all my friends had them so C90 full of games was nice back then.

J

My next door neighbour got the Vic-20 just after it was released. I remember standing in his front room and just staring at the computer in amazement, he had it connected to his parents big black & white telly. He then sold us his Atari 2600 as he no longer wanted it. Happy days!

10 hours ago, Reg said:

That deserves a thread of it's own !

I can do but its a fairly simple process, order the pre designed boards from PCBWay for about $5 for 10, burn the games onto an eprom, solder a few components onto the board, go to thingiverse, type commodore into the search, download the pre designed case that is on there, print it overnight, swear at printer in the morning because the filament coil got stuck and there is half a case printed, set it off again before work and come back to a nicely printed case for the PCB