A4 DIF Advert - Crash 2019

Reg

Interesting, Crash was a must for most Spectrum fans back in the day.

I was more of a Your Sinclair man myself, then moved on to Zzap when I got my C64 in about 1985.

Nice to see that people are still interested in keeping these things going and thankfully all these magazines are well preserved online, if people fancy a nostalgia trip.

• Like 1

My first was zx rubber key unit then upgraded to zx +  then swapped for a commodore 64 and then an Amiga 500 which i still have to this day up in the loft.

code masters fruit machine simulator a must have for the speccy.

And the it was all about the tape wars,free tapes across all magazines😃

• Like 3

Looks good Reg. I think it's a great idea.

I imagine there might be a few good people out there who have never even thought to see if FME exists.

I can't imagine how amazing it would be for someone interested in machines to find FME now at this stage.  The emulator and the choice and quality of layouts is amazing.

I suppose we are very niche though like you say.

• Like 2

Firstly, I'd love to see FME get more publicity and hopefully reap the benefits of seeing new members, particularly those who stick around, participate and perhaps even have something to offer the scene. But can I play devil's whatsit and say, is there any potential threat to FME, if it is publicized in such a way.

I would hope that when submitted, the magazine producers, will have suitable knowledge as to what would likely cause trouble and ask for a rewrite. Using the word roms for instance, isn't probably necessary for anyone who knows about emulation, but could cause issue.

• Like 2

Good points - the word roms would need changing.  As I say this is very much a WIP.

I don’t think there is a risk to the scene as in all fairness we been running over a decade and still here.  If anything was ever to have happened I would have bet that it would have been when the DOND machines started to appear.

However the discussion is open for all.

Right off to get a van - finally I have a day off and I need to go and collect a van that’s going to be too big to drive and then navigate motorways... ...thank god my son is around to help me unload when home.

• Like 1

'A small emulation scene that's been running for over 10 years' should be 'A small emulation scene that's been running for almost 20 years' :D

People who will read this will be speccy enthusiasts, so will have nostalgia spanning about 82-87, maybe that can be reflected in the images and include a machine from that era.

• Like 4

DX Banner.png

4 hours ago, Pook said:

'A small emulation scene that's been running for over 10 years' should be 'A small emulation scene that's been running for almost 20 years' :D

People who will read this will be speccy enthusiasts, so will have nostalgia spanning about 82-87, maybe that can be reflected in the images and include a machine from that era.

Maybe line up, it’s from that era and is an iconic machine for sure 😊

J

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reg said:

Very much looking forward to doing the advert - a nice bit of promotion for the scene and I do include other sites.

This is what I have in mind for the moment...

WIPAD.thumb.png.0987a47fa55b17840a1a6d411ba2f19f.png

I could make the logo look 8 bit.  Just go to layer effects and pixelate, not too much just to give it that blocky pixel look 😊

J

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A:E said:

Looks great reg, logo looks brilliant fella :)   

You could say ‘actual fruit machine software’ rather than roms possibly?

J

Yes - thank you for that ! :)

@wearecity @Pook @A:E I think I've captured the changes you need - only got about 30 mins so was hurrying a little.

Taking Pook's comments from that era, I think that a picture of a machine emulated is worth it here for this WIP - Pook, is this ok to use ?

One thing I am not happy with is the block of logos under the picture.  The MFME one must be there, it is why we are here - but I am looking for a Windows logo to show it works on Windows and something to indiciate that it's free - but there is work needed.

Thoughts - comments - all welcome.

1109.thumb.png.141da40fd87dfb4cf6852df8b42bc18b.png

• Like 1

Looking good, and thanks for the 'plug' Reg.   Was an avid Crash reader back in the day along with the other two sinclair mags.  Really wish I'd kept all my speccy stuff but gave it away to a charity shop years ago.  I still have a 48k rubber key job kicking around somewhere though hehe.

BTW the Dizzy games were by far the best IMHO.  I wrote a infinate lives crack for dizzy 7 using a multiface and sent it in.  Not sure if it ever got published.

Edited by dad
  • Like 2

Treasure Island Dizzy, now that was game ! I think you only had one life, due to some game bug, it was really tough.

Loved all the Dizzy games, especially Fantasy World Dizzy.

The good ol' days.

I used to love entering those POKE cheats from the magazines.

Then when I got my Action Replay cartridge I was well away.

Everything is too easy nowadays :D