Desert Island Retro

Dreamcast Emulation - Redream

wearecity

Just wondering if any of you guys have also stumbled across the excellent and very user friendly Dreamcast emulator called Redream.

The free version is brilliant in it's own right, but the HD results on the $5 version are excellent. I don't really agree with paying for an emulator, but in the end it's so good an emulator, I thought instead of cutting my nose off to spite my face, I would.

Check out Simply Austin's video about it.

https://redream.io/

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

haven't tried that one yet wac, sounds good though,what are the frame rates like ? I usually use nullDC  and tried to run Sturmwind but it crashes halfway through the first level due to not having a direct x 11 compatible card.but otherwise great.

Gunlord was a brilliant game also (a Turrican remake for DC)

I think Demul was good for rom based games emulating the Sega naomi board but hopeless for iso's if i remember correctly, but I'm not altogether sure.been a while now.

and Chankast  is quite old now too but this Redream sounds interesting.

does Redream run iso's do you know?

• 2 weeks later...

@char042102

Sorry missed your post. I've no problems with the frame rates, I have a 3 year old PC, with an I7-5820 processor with, Nvidia 980ti, 16gb Ram, if that helps. Dreamcast emulation isn't something I've touched much on in the past. Not because I find emulator difficult to config etc, but always believe like Saturn, Dreamcast emulation wasn't particularly good and all the emulators were without an updates for years. 

Loved all the Turrican games, so I must have a look/play of that at some point of GunLord.

Edited by wearecity
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2018 at 20:27, char042102 said:

does Redream run iso's do you know?

Iso's AND gdi's on your hard drive work...   gdi format is a 1 to 1 copy of the game (1.1GB usually)

Brilliant emulator, I use it more than my real dreamcast, standard version is good enough for me, but the hd version does look mint.

current game compatibility list link below

https://redream.io/compatibility/

• Like 1

sounds like you've got a very capable pc indeed wearecity,no slow down issues,choppy sound etc I gather.I'm jealous now :P

thanks for drawing my attention to this redream.

well my old tower is running (please don't laugh) with an amd sempron (I do have an athlon 3200+ somewhere in the house),1gb ram and an ati  HIS Radeon HD3850 IceQ 3 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 AGP 8x Dual-DVI Graphics Card,  quite un-updated for years as you can tell but it does most things I require for now.not perfect by a mile off but I can still just about cope with it.lol

I know what you mean about lack of updates to the Sega SS & DC emus,I seem to remember the saturn was very hard to emulate,I might be wrong but ssf was pretty good for saturn emu (good news about that in a new emulator later). by the sounds of it this redream you speak of seems like a marked improvement dreamcast wise.I'll have to try it out, to be fair null dc and Demul are pretty good DC emus.I tried demul the other night and it can play some iso's which have been mounted in daemon tools but it does roms very well like virtua fighter 4 etc.null dc is much better for iso's imo . Gunlord didn't get past boot screen on Demul where as null dc tore through it,no problem.:D

I don't know if you're aware but there is a better emulator for the saturn called mednafen.A lot of people say it does a really good job and emulates some other systems  as well but might require a bit of tinkering in the .config file. but as with everything you-tube tutorials soon come to the rescue. toy commander was quite a good dreamcast game. I swapped a ps1 for a saturn and loved playing nights into dreams and guardian heroes.but then swapped to a n64 with super mario 64 (absolutely brilliant game that) and pilot wings 64.

thanks eagle64 for the info regarding iso's and gdi images.I never knew a gdi was a true 1:1 copy.wonder if they were done with alcohol or blindwrite :P. cheers for the compatibility list,very useful. I'm always checking pcsx2 and dolphin compatibility lists .

I still can't believe we can play everything from zx spectrum,bbc micro,oric 1,all the way through to game & watch, arcade,consoles,handhelds,pinballs and of course the reason why we're all here, fruit machines. It's all just a dream come true of the highest order for me,such amazing and enjoyable times.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a quick go on this today - first impressions are good they've made a really nice package here. 

Liked the way you just point to the .CDI directory and you're basically done.  It took the Xbox controller and played flawlessly.  Noticed it played better windowed then full screen - which is a problem on my main desktop as the resolution is very high - but that is my fault for doing stupid things with a console that had a much lower resolution.

Basically no configuration needed and was able to play Propeller Arena very well. :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, SocialDragon368 said:

uNFORTUNATELY IT WILL NOT PLAY Naomi 1 & 2 games, that's for demul

Neither will a real dreamcast...  naomi had double the main  memory and graphics memory, and 4 times extra sound memory, a different input connector and loaded games in a different way (even gdroms loaded to a flashroms  cart) so not really a fair gripe for a DREAMCAST emulator.

Redream does have several atomiswave games that run on it though... I was playing dolphin blue earlier 🙂