DX'Cellent
Sign in to follow this  
Pook

Blue Moon DX - Barcrest - MPU4

A few weeks ago I converted this to v6 off the back of a youtube video by @Chopaholic. One of the best features of v6 was the ability to add blended lamping which I added to the title and the large bottom glass. Sadly this slowed down the emulator to at times and unplayable state. With the release of v6.1 @Wizard has fixed this with some catweazle like sorcery allowing me to now get this one released.

Updates for MFME v6.1 include...

• Opaque Reels
  • In/Out sounds
  • Tweaked Digis
  • New Sideart
  • Blended Lamping

5ac159fe49709_BlueMoonDX_1.thumb.jpg.dfe1662f7a0912aca4475de4aa85065f.jpg

Blue Moon DX
Released - 2nd June 2008
Updated for MFME v6 - April 2018
Author - Dave Pook
Manufacturer - Barcrest
Stake - 20p
Jackpot - £4.80
Shortcuts...
0 - Enter £1
9 - Enter 20p token
` - Cancel
1 - Hold/Nudge 1
2 - Hold/Nudge 2
3 - Hold/Nudge 3
C - Collect
Space - Start
Thanks to...
FruitSim - Photos
Bugs - Classic & Tech Help
@niallquinn - Testing
@Wizard - v6.1 Compliance

Blue_Moon_DX.zip

Edited by Pook
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Awesome 1

Once in a 'blue moon' ? a layout comes along that is totally amazing this is one of them, many thanks pook for the update.

Not downloaded yet but do the stars now flash and fade like the real machine?

This is my most played Pook layout by far... It is my favourite machine though. Usual high quality.

Many thanks for the re-release.

PS Do you plan of upscaling this? I think we have high res pics of this machine glass on mpumecca.

J

Edited by A:E

I think I used those pics J. I always edit and lamp in twice the size art and had always reduced before loading into the emu, so I'm sat on twice the size base art for the majority of my releases. With new rescaling features it's possible to release with this now as I have done recently with Monopoly Takeover.

However I am find lamps jumping out of place when reduced. The art I'm using for Fortune Wheel I didn't reduced which is why it catastrophically slowed down with blended lamps, in v6.1 that has been addressed but when scaled down to my screen (2014x1152) which is probably slightly higher that an average user they art jumping about terrible. So I'd planned to redo these using my old standard sizing policy. 

I'd create big mate. At some point 4k desktop will be standard, saving time overall.

Not sure how scaled down layouts can be fixed, I don't know how mfme scales down layouts maybe each lamp is scaled separately, you only need images that are odd pixel widths to cause rescaling issues.

Maybe Chris has more insight.

J

Pixel creep can occur when there are overlapping components, it's due to the way MFME draws them. The screen is not refreshed in it's entirety each time some anything changes as that would be too slow, so each component only draws itself and just that area is refereshed to the screen.

When a layout is scaled down, the back buffer is still the original size so the refreshed portion has to be scaled down to the screen size and as the scaling routine is not pixel perfect it can result in pixel creep. There is no easy way to fix it without sacrificng performance significantly

Edited by Wizard

my original art size is now approx 16000 x 12000 (540mb's big) then i reduce it 10x's to around 15/1600H x whatever width the art is, usually without sideart (1200/5.4mb's)

seams ok to me and so far no ones complained about the layouts being to small for mfme6 . when i edit the layouts i see about a 1/4 of the layout on my lappy screen

Edited by vectra666