YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

Ha! I dread to think how unreliable a machine with five of the fan flip reels in it must have been :D

My abiding memory of the single flip reel used in the AWPs is that they were always, always, broken.

They were a nice idea and they had a lovely mechanical look and feel to them, but bugger me they just didn't work properly.

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

yes indeed, you can see a few dodgy cards in that video I linked. These didn't seem to last long in the real world, presumably due to the unreliability.

I can't many machines being done for the emulator as you'd have to create 72 bitmaps for all the positions. A manual would be essential.

Edited by Wizard

Yes but it automatically centres the MFME window when you maximise it like that, and then as soon as you move the window it snaps back to its smaller size.

I generally have MFME offset from centre when I'm playing as I have other stuff open on my PC (unless I'm in Full Screen Max in which case it's a non-issue anyway). Also, I like to play with two layouts running at once as it feels more 'arcadey', and if you try to maximise two layouts using the maximise options you list there, obviously they just end up on top of each other :)

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

31 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

Yes but it automatically centres the MFME window when you maximise it like that, and then as soon as you move the window it snaps back to its smaller size.

Oh? It doesn't do that on mine, it just stays maximised. I wonder if that is another W10 mystery?

But yes it will centre it.

Edited by Wizard

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

Jiggery Pokery Video here:

Unfortunately we are missing the Sound ROMs for this.

I'm beginning to see how these would break all the time in the wild!  In fact in the vid, the middle card does!

Be really good to get the sound roms, theese machines (working) must be rare as anything now.  Who owns this machine, does anyone know?

Thanks,

NQ.

2 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

I generally have MFME offset from centre when I'm playing as I have other stuff open on my PC (unless I'm in Full Screen Max in which case it's a non-issue anyway). Also, I like to play with two layouts running at once as it feels more 'arcadey', and if you try to maximise two layouts using the maximise options you list there, obviously they just end up on top of each other :)

For some inexplicable reason, W10 won't let you move a maximised window like W7 does. Not sure I can do anything about that tbh

It appears to be tied in with that snap to edge of screen stuff, and if I enable that  then as you say it just minimises the window :(

Oh well, another reason to stay with W7 ^_^

Edited by Wizard

I made a point of sticking with W7 on my old PC (despite the free W10 upgrade offer), but when I got a new PC last September I didn't really have a lot of choice but to go W10, as I'm intending the PC to last way past W7's end of life in 2020. (Once MS drop critical security updates and patches for W7, I don't think it'll be viable to use as an OS any longer, unfortunately.)

In fairness W10 has worked well enough and I'm largely ambivalent about it, although I'd be hard pushed to name a single thing about it that I like more than W7.

Thanks for looking into it anyway :) It's no real hardship to move the MFME window to where I want it and then drag to maximise.

Try this...

Put these roms in a BACKUP folder of Pook's Crystal Maze...

MakeDegsyHappy.rar

...edit the GAM file and replace the rom section with this...

VIDROM crys.p1
VIDROM cry.p2
VIDROM cry.p3
VIDROM cry.p4
VIDROM cry.p5
VIDROM cry.p6
VIDROM cry.p7
VIDROM cry.p8
VIDROM cry.p9
VIDROM cry.p10
ROM VID.P1

...see if you can see this version...

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_1.thumb.jpg.951770065e18ac3f7bf04abb56234bc5.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_2.thumb.jpg.4d1d8cfe4387f467cbef5aab99212e32.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_3.thumb.jpg.28862896c2b62eba04dcb1c12603ef1c.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_4.thumb.jpg.bf8e5772cbf91bbf26a0fe2a47934bbb.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_5.thumb.jpg.ab8b85299e7840bb70b18e35a9e55b27.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Reg said:

Glad to help...

Here's another...

MoreHappyDegesy.rar  1

Cheers Reg I'll try and take a look at that tonight as well, didn't get chance for either last night as spent a chunk of it editing together the next video (online slots I'm afraid), and then just parked my arse on the couch to play Burnout Paradise Remastered on my One X :D

Many thanks for posting the ROMs though, hopefully they'll both be playable in the existing layout :)

12 hours ago, Wizard said:

There was a method to the madness, some letters ( or torches in the other version ) stay on longer than others, so it was a case of doing them first and leaving the quicker ones til last

Yes I've no doubt there's a better method than bashing frantically and swearing a lot :D I never did get entirely comfortable with this version of Crystal Maze in terms of making consistent money out of it (but it was still profitable), it's very good fun though, the fact it still holds up in the emulator today as a genuinely entertaining game really says a lot about how imaginative game design in the SWP space used to be. (And AWPs too, where is the Screenplay of today?.....)

19 minutes ago, Pook said:

Thanks for that lot @Reg, I'll look into doing the other 2 DXs, if no source art about I'll play about with what I have, see if I can't fashion something up.

Thank you - I think that covers all the versions as the second of that pair has the Ocean zone in it as well.

Here's something pretty cool :) If you watched the Crystal Maze video you'll have seen that the first few minutes were a Bandicam recording of footage of someone playing the real machine like a total pro. Well the chap has only gone and commented on the video!

He says it's definitely 60 gold in the dome and not 59, and also that it was indeed rechipped to 51 gold later on (although he's managed to do it with 51 gold once). He also confirms that the third version was indeed not 'doable' as it could make it impossible when it wanted to.

Finally, he mentions that he repairs and restores arcade machines (hence he's confident his Ocean Zone Crystal Maze will work if he brings it out of storage), so I've been a bit cheeky and asked him if he knows what he's got in storage and also given a link to the 'missing ROMs' thread here - hopefully he'll pop in and say 'Hello' :) 

image.thumb.png.32e89f0702740a2e378ab20cb81ba311.png

• Like 5

On 04/04/2018 at 19:08, Reg said:

Try this...

Put these roms in a BACKUP folder of Pook's Crystal Maze...

MakeDegsyHappy.rar  5

...edit the GAM file and replace the rom section with this...

...see if you can see this version...

Just got around to trying this now, the good news is that it seems to work perfectly in the existing Pook DX layout and all the games are playable are far as I can tell.

It is however the dirty 51 gold rechip version! I just got to the dome and immediately thought, 'That looks like 51 to me.....' True enough I managed to collect all but one of the gold tokens and the gold count went to 50!

It doesn't really change anything in terms of getting a video made for it, and TBH there was no way I was going to be able to demonstrate it anything like seen in the previous video on the real hardware as the controls just aren't quite right in the emulator. (The correct sensitivity for one game is the wrong sensitivity for another game, and so on.) Plus I'm old and shit now, and not the spunky spunkmaster I used to be at the game :ph34r:

So what I'll do is get it nice and fat like I did in the previous video, and then just bumble my way through it as best I can, to all but guarantee myself the fiver in the dome :D

I'll give the Ocean Zone ROMs a try next, many thanks for posting these Reg :)

It's hard to say really, I think the only way to genuinely test how the emulated experience compares to the real hardware would be to get a trackball the same as used in the original machines and use that in MFME.

I bought a trackball just for The Mating Game but it simply doesn't 'feel' the same as the original in use.

I've tried mucking about with the 'Trackball Resolution' setting in MFME, along with the various Windows settings, and combinations of the two, but nothing seems to come out right.

I did think I had it a couple of times in the games where more sensitive control is required, but then in a game where more movement is required it simply wasn't possible to achieve the necessary velocity - and vice versa.

The original hardware's trackball was quite large and rather loose and 'fluid' so it managed to do sensitve/fast all in one package as it were.

The way I look at it is the games are playable again - and that's the main thing :)

Final go...

FinalGo.rar

VIDROM am1z.p1
VIDROM am1z.p2
VIDROM am1g.p1
VIDROM am1g.p2
VIDROM am1g.p3
VIDROM am1g.p4
VIDROM am1g.p5
VIDROM am1g.p6
VIDROM am1g.p7
VIDROM am1g.p8
ROM vid.p1

Note this one gives 5 CREDITS when you put £1 in.

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_1.thumb.jpg.848d739d11e36e5237ff49d0b095d973.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_2.thumb.jpg.7f49512c14407b9560645b26bc1bff1f.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_3.thumb.jpg.c52d799db20ce63a75a04b36d4b2d887.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_4.thumb.jpg.0041633b5b6fd5f2f0b9150a6ce24a24.jpg

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_6.thumb.jpg.4e609a67082bab56104976e0e6bf6023.jpg

All from a RAM RESET, looks like there is a good amount of gold in there.

This must def be an early one...

crystalmaze_video_mpu4_6.thumb.jpg.25f5e7eb53921b56e23fb8ea30b86c18.jpg

• Like 2

PC trackballs don't have any inertia like the real one, so it's never going to act the same way.

If anyone has a spare real trackball from these games, I'd be interested in buying it to have a play.

Obviously the mouse stuff is just a hack, as it doesn't have variable speed etc

You just can't emulate the Track Ball using PC based ones as you don't have access to the raw data from it, as windows is turning it into a virtual mouse so it queues up the data

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Reg said:

Final go...

FinalGo.rar  1

Note this one gives 5 CREDITS when you put £1 in.

All from a RAM RESET, looks like there is a good amount of gold in there.

This must def be an early one...

That's an interesting variant, I honestly don't remember seeing that one out in the wild, I'll have get the ROMs loaded in to take a look. Do you pay 30p per game or something?

NOTE TO SELF - This is the point at which I should just load the ROMs into the layout and find out for myself :D