YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

I can't say for sure that they didn't start on a £6 jackpot, although I've got in my head they were £8 native machines, but I could be wrong.

Either way they very much had the new 'feel' of shit Maygays (see also, It's A Knockout) and I really didn't enjoy playing them at all.

• Like 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Maygay did lose their way on some of the later machines.

To be fair they did release a diverse range of games on the M1a tech over the years and produced their fair share of what I'd consider classics.

They get flack for the way they block out wins above a certain level until the machine was in an enriched period of play but I preferred this and I'd say a lot of players preferred this model back in the day.

J

Well I'd say they were 'good' for players who knew how to nobble them, but for everyone else all that was left was machines that were constantly in the world's worst suck mode!

The 'block everything above a certain point' system was bad enough, (especially if you didn't understand the system and were expecting hi/lo gambles and suchlike to remain relatively fair), but add in the fact that the blocks could be beaten and the results were awful for normal players.

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

6 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

I can't say for sure that they didn't start on a £6 jackpot, although I've got in my head they were £8 native machines, but I could be wrong.

Either way they very much had the new 'feel' of shit Maygays (see also, It's A Knockout) and I really didn't enjoy playing them at all.

I agree, I didn't like this bunch of machines either, although they did have a streak on them £40 - £50 if IIRC, which was really huge at the time. The Rovers Return, also had real character sounds or very good impressionists to do them, unlike the boring Coronation Street sounds.

Unlike say Barcrest who still came up with great machines in the lates 90's and 2000's such as it's red/blue trail machines, NHP, Eastenders et al, were the last great Maygay fruitys IMO. It was all downhill from there, even though, they did have some strong licences, such as The Simpsons.

A lot of the Maygay's 'block' exploits didn't affect normal play, they wouldn't necessarily be in a particularly bad mood after someone had done one.   Though it could mess the streak cycle up as those exploited wins were paid from that saved for pot.   The gamble block on these was blatantly obvious and at least the number reflected that well.  Good numbers all the way £5 then a 5, 6, 7 or 8.   

J

1 hour ago, wearecity said:

I agree, I didn't like this bunch of machines either, although they did have a streak on them £40 - £50 if IIRC, which was really huge at the time. The Rovers Return, also had real character sounds or very good impressionists to do them, unlike the boring Coronation Street sounds.

Unlike say Barcrest who still came up with great machines in the lates 90's and 2000's such as it's red/blue trail machines, NHP, Eastenders et al, were the last great Maygay fruitys IMO. It was all downhill from there, even though, they did have some strong licences, such as The Simpsons.

I think the worst Maygay machine on the M1a/b tech are... 

The Guvnor
Fantasy Football
On the Buses

J

Edited by A:E
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, A:E said:

A lot of the Maygay's 'block' exploits didn't affect normal play, they wouldn't necessarily be in a particularly bad mood after someone had done one.   Though it could mess the streak cycle up as those exploited wins were paid from that saved for pot.   The gamble block on these was blatantly obvious and at least the number reflected that well.  Good numbers all the way £5 then a 5, 6, 7 or 8.   

J

As I understand it though, a good player would take all the free wins from above the block, and then play the machine down by taking loads of £4 repeater wins and suchlike, leaving it nearly empty and on its arse, and miles away from doing anything.

I definitely remember getting absolutely fucked on £8 jackpot Maygays time and time again, whereas the £6 'Eastenders' generation seemed a lot fairer.

Normal play wouldn't be affected, the streak pot obviously could take a while to recover.   I might try an early version of MMM and play it how I would it the wild, then force a streak all out see how it pans out.

These obviously weren't as good gameplay wise to classics like Eastenders, but the streak was quite rare on these.

There was a fairly bad Epoch based Maygay that could be nasty if it had been done... especially if you wanted to do it again....   'Golden Ticket'

J

It's time for more drunken Crystal Maze SWP - this time playing the original 'first release' ROMs kindly provided by Reg a little earlier in the thread.

• Like 4

Not fruit machine emulation related but it is on the channel. (I don't generally link the non-FME videos on the channel in this thread.)

However, this is perhaps one of the more 'persistent' efforts I made, trying to hit the modest 500x stake jackpot on the slot 'Starburst'.

Over 300,000+ (!!) spins later - had I managed to hit the jackpot?

Another entertaining video. 

TBH both machines have pluses and minuses to them. Reloading the layout was a bit of a drastic action lol.

I dislike any machine that just spins in the jackpot, such a lazy, unentertaining way to achieve it. I'm sure even back in the day, I used to think oh well jackpot, not great got the jackpot.

Could be wrong, but one final machine of these, I think, the Sky Sports version, with Andy Gray and Richard Keys iirc. Not sure if it's a straight rebadged clone of one of these though.

Would love to see them dx'd one day, such colourful machines from what I remember.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wearecity said:

TBH both machines have pluses and minuses to them. Reloading the layout was a bit of a drastic action lol.

I dislike any machine that just spins in the jackpot, such a lazy, unentertaining way to achieve it. I'm sure even back in the day, I used to think oh well jackpot, not great got the jackpot.

Could be wrong, but one final machine of these, I think, the Sky Sports version, with Andy Gray and Richard Keys iirc. Not sure if it's a straight rebadged clone of one of these though.

Would love to see them dx'd one day, such colourful machines from what I remember.

I agree it's not the best way to do a jackpot at all but it seemed to be building up to the streak hence was playing really strange and rather foul too, it did start to come back to me just how brutal these were out in the wild if you caught them wrong.

There was a Sky Sports version as well but same as you, I can't remember much in the way of details about it, somehow I've got it in my head it got to a £10 jackpot, could be wrong though.

DXs for these would be nice, they were good looking machines, but at the end of the day the classics present the emulated experience and that's the main thing :)

10 hours ago, Reg said:

@Chopaholic there is a later version of the .FML for Cup Final in the downloads, it has the £3 Repeat legend fixed on the game board.

You should be able to simply replace your .FML and nothing will be lost on .GAM or .RAM, the file name is the same.

Cheers Reg, just a small change but worthwhile :)

On 05/05/2018 at 14:26, Ploggy said:

Here's a picture of Super Soccer.  What's it with a UK-based fruit machine company calling the beautiflul game Soccer?  No!!! :)

BWB_-_Super_Soccer_.png

I guess they called it soccer because it's strange but even Sky have soccer in a lot of their programs about Footy. 

Don't know why but always had it in my head, Football wouldn't be your thing Ploggy.

7 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Latest video is now live and it's another awesome old Maygay - Noel's House Party.

Enjoy the splendidly tidy beard of Mr Edmonds.

The part about Mrs Degsy winning your money, still makes me chuckle even writing this, even though It's such a shocking and horrible thing to think, but I'm sure so many of us can relate to it.

Well done for bringing it up and admitting. I too would have rather she lost and had to get more money out.

Gamblers logic is completely ridiculous and unlogical. 

Edited by wearecity
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wearecity said:

I guess they called it soccer because it's strange but even Sky have soccer in a lot of their programs about Footy. 

Don't know why but always had it in my head, Football wouldn't be your thing Ploggy.

Yeah.  Soccer Saturday springs to mind.  Anytime I see, or hear the word 'Soccer', I just think of an American saying it.  Can't help it.

Quite like football actually.  Liverpool's my team.  Been following them since the early eighties.  Sammy Lee, Ian Rush, Alan Hansen and the like.  Good times. :)

Alex.  The reason you got the alarm on the Noel's House Party layout was because you put a token, in, on an all-cash rom.  The rom you were using was on £6 all-cash for some reason.

Edited by Ploggy
TYPOS & TO REPLY TO DEGSY''S LATEST VIDEO