YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

Oh no... I've just stumbled on Choppers you tube channel. 'Oh no' as in i had a fully booked up weekend of appeasing the woman and doing stuff that looks like we both agreed to do, but was actually her idea and forced upon me where I said YES just to keep the peace. All that and I aint even married..... Anyway, checking out your channel, looks like I've a fair few videos to watch. I can't believe the 'Find the Pea' feature on ACE's Pay Rise was a free win... Did the scene ever have any success in finding many 1st revision roms for any games? And if so, where can i find them?

• Like 2

Hey there Compost, I've uploaded quite a few early ROMs and the layouts for them to this sub-forum here, just look for threads started by me :) 

Basically anything that you see on the channel running previously unavailable ROMs, will have been uploaded by me to here.

http://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/index.php?/forum/19-layout-ramgam-files/

• Like 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

9 hours ago, CompostCORNER said:

Oh no... I've just stumbled on Choppers you tube channel. 'Oh no' as in i had a fully booked up weekend of appeasing the woman and doing stuff that looks like we both agreed to do, but was actually her idea and forced upon me where I said YES just to keep the peace. All that and I aint even married..... Anyway, checking out your channel, looks like I've a fair few videos to watch. I can't believe the 'Find the Pea' feature on ACE's Pay Rise was a free win... Did the scene ever have any success in finding many 1st revision roms for any games? And if so, where can i find them?

Glad to know the ball and chain is working out for you😆

Alex has much better videos than me(clarity wise) but if you head over to my channel too I have a few emptiers along with other tricks that you should enjoy. Also, Pay Rise had more than one emptier!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6cAmInP5gn9yDLUSrwKMw

Edited by Big J

14 hours ago, Big J said:

Glad to know the ball and chain is working out for you😆

Alex has much better videos than me(clarity wise) but if you head over to my channel too I have a few emptiers along with other tricks that you should enjoy. Also, Pay Rise had more than one emptier!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6cAmInP5gn9yDLUSrwKMw

I'll check it out pal. Not sure what the woman will say as her brand spanking new ipad already gets what she deems as 'weird' YouTUBE notification beeps from such things as BeardvFood, Mystic7's Pokemon channel and Sandwell Mobiles Scratchcard Sunday 😂😂😂

This YouTUBE stuff is gonna be my undoing....

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Hey there Compost, I've uploaded quite a few early ROMs and the layouts for them to this sub-forum here, just look for threads started by me :) 

Basically anything that you see on the channel running previously unavailable ROMs, will have been uploaded by me to here.

http://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/index.php?/forum/19-layout-ramgam-files/

Thats fantastic pal. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Early roms do have an enormous sentimental value for me. See back in Hull, in the late 1980's and well in to the mid 90's, there was a place called 'Sunspot'. At the time i just thought it was a run of the mill, high street amusement arcade but it held a sinister secret. All the machines in the arcade were on test from new. one of the lads working there said that they were subsidised in some way to cover any losses.

Thing is, back then, i was on shitty YTS money. £27.30 was a weeks wage. My mum would take almost half of it for board and lodgings, which wasn't all that bad considering she made 'out of this world' Yorkshire puds from scratch, and even though I was pretty much grown up, i'd regularly get Birds Eye waffles, Bernard Matthews turkey twizzlers and proper HP baked beans for tea. Anyway, enough of that... So, I'd have about £15 left. Any night out with the lads had to involve a visit to Sunspot to hopefully boost the cash pot. I didn't always improve my financial situation but strangely, and this is something of a big deal for me where fruit machines are concerned, and may well have contributed to my addiction to the things back then, I'd have something like a 80% chance of winning some money. It was very rare I left the place with less money than I went in. Sure enought though, equally, there were machines that were awful and took your money. I stayed well clear of those.

In Sunspot, they had a fruit machine based SWP called Hang Man, prize Space Invaders and the new ACE SpACE machines were in evident. Grand Prix was my new payday. Once I mastered the 'Nudge Quick' on those machines, I was in the money. Now from what I remember, Ace's Grand Prix must have had a free win for the Nudge Quick feature on early roms as I kid you not, no matter what win I took, providing it was from the Nudge Quick feature, the game just got happier and happier. Many many times I maxed the bank out at £50. I'd have to play the tokens on something else but my nights around Hull City Centre sometime around 1990 or so were paid for by Grand Prix. I never had time to try to empty the machine as my skint friends were nagging me to get off...

Ironically, that machine was replaced after 6 months and I never did see it anywhere in the wild. Open the Box was the next time I saw anything like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CompostCORNER said:

Thats fantastic pal. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Early roms do have an enormous sentimental value for me. See back in Hull, in the late 1980's and well in to the mid 90's, there was a place called 'Sunspot'. At the time i just thought it was a run of the mill, high street amusement arcade but it held a sinister secret. All the machines in the arcade were on test from new. one of the lads working there said that they were subsidised in some way to cover any losses.

Thing is, back then, i was on shitty YTS money. £27.30 was a weeks wage. My mum would take almost half of it for board and lodgings, which wasn't all that bad considering she made 'out of this world' Yorkshire puds from scratch, and even though I was pretty much grown up, i'd regularly get Birds Eye waffles, Bernard Matthews turkey twizzlers and proper HP baked beans for tea. Anyway, enough of that... So, I'd have about £15 left. Any night out with the lads had to involve a visit to Sunspot to hopefully boost the cash pot. I didn't always improve my financial situation but strangely, and this is something of a big deal for me where fruit machines are concerned, and may well have contributed to my addiction to the things back then, I'd have something like a 80% chance of winning some money. It was very rare I left the place with less money than I went in. Sure enought though, equally, there were machines that were awful and took your money. I stayed well clear of those.

In Sunspot, they had a fruit machine based SWP called Hang Man, prize Space Invaders and the new ACE SpACE machines were in evident. Grand Prix was my new payday. Once I mastered the 'Nudge Quick' on those machines, I was in the money. Now from what I remember, Ace's Grand Prix must have had a free win for the Nudge Quick feature on early roms as I kid you not, no matter what win I took, providing it was from the Nudge Quick feature, the game just got happier and happier. Many many times I maxed the bank out at £50. I'd have to play the tokens on something else but my nights around Hull City Centre sometime around 1990 or so were paid for by Grand Prix. I never had time to try to empty the machine as my skint friends were nagging me to get off...

Ironically, that machine was replaced after 6 months and I never did see it anywhere in the wild. Open the Box was the next time I saw anything like it.

I never knew they had machines on test!!  I practically lived in this place for a good 4 years or so 1978 - 1982 until I moved out of Hull which thankfully cured by addiction.  I'm still pretty good on Space Invaders though ;)

sunspot.jpg

Edited by dad
  • Like 2

Ha, Sunspot, yeah me and a mate used to get the bus to Hull, definitely emptiables in there.  We used to click an 04 Open the Box, it wasn’t an 02, I think Grand Prix was after Open the Box, never saw anything earlier than an 04 on that.  Pretty sure there was a Mortal Kombat 2 in there on one of the last times we went.  Biggish place.

Some decent arcades in Hull, nobles had an emptiable Project Coin Bullseye on a decent early chip.  

J

1 hour ago, dad said:

I never knew they had machines on test!!  I practically lived in this place for a good 4 years or so 1978 - 1982 until I moved out of Hull which thankfully cured by addiction.  I'm still pretty good on Space Invaders though ;)

sunspot.jpg

At least you have better memories of Hull than I do! I can only remember my cousin, and his mate swinging me in and out of their 20 somethink floor balcony.   

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

5 hours ago, CompostCORNER said:

I'll check it out pal. Not sure what the woman will say as her brand spanking new ipad already gets what she deems as 'weird' YouTUBE notification beeps from such things as BeardvFood, Mystic7's Pokemon channel and Sandwell Mobiles Scratchcard Sunday 😂😂😂

Everyone has their own fun corner.

Thanks for the video.

There was another machine called Apache that used this display but I've never seen one.

Also the cabinet for this has a cutout for a Number Reel but this was covered up in the machine that I had, so I'm not sure if that was ever present. Perhaps a cost cutting measure?

Also interesting is that the Plasma display driver board uses a 68K CPU which is way more powerful than the 6809 used in the MPU4 itself.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, niallquinn said:

I'm guessing Apache was a Big Chief clone in terms of gameplay?  Just with a similar name?

NQ.

Yes it was. They had a Big Chief and an Apache side by side in a pub on Shaftesbury Ave. Big mistake as they both got cleaned out regularly😂🤑

• Like 1

On 26/02/2018 at 10:36, Chopaholic said:

That would work if the battery backed RAM was shagged, otherwise it wouldn't be a RAM reset. (As Wizard notes above, and also demonstrated in the video.)

I remember an arcade in Bury had a lo-tech machine of some description by one of the lesser known manufacturers, (I really can't remember the name of the machine or the company, and I don't think it's ever been emulated), that did a factory reset every time they turned it off and on. As I went in the arcade so often, I noticed that every morning the reels were in the same position and if I played it, I'd win about a fiver.

I managed to keep this up for quite a few days until the arcade cottoned on and fixed the machine :D

My local arcade firm, who owned 4 in the town, had a NUdge XS where the RAM battery was f***ed - result was £30-40 token streak every morning, then they would turn it off to wait for a refill - if this didnt happen til the afternoon, then voila!

They moved it too two different sites before they eventually fixed it..... booo.........

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wizard said:

Just knocked up a classic of Apache based on @Reg Big Chief layout. Similar game but different features and also a hi-lo gamble.

Apache.zip 610 kB · 2 downloads  2

Thanks for the download.

Hard to believe that Barcrest created this tech and only did like 3 games. That it appears in the emulator, time and effort to create by your good self, I'm certainly glad you took the time when it could have been deemed too much effort for so little return. (BFM Winfall on the cards? LOL).

Gamewise, they are quite enjoyable. Feature exchange can be brutal. I did play for the 'reel aid/band' on this type of game. I'm having a bit of an MFME renaissance right now visiting games of the past.....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this, looks like your Apache was locked up at the beginning and just repeating the same animation over and over again. This is a good example of how the driver board offloads the load from the MPU4.

From what I can tell, there didn't seem to be a way to reset the driver board from the MPU4 because although the alpha port had a reset line, in this application it is used as an input to the MPU4 so it can read information from the driver board.

• Like 3

Ahhh right that explains it, when I went to put money in to start the actual gameplay, nothing happened!

(You might have noticed a jump in the video there, as I edited out the bit where I was wondering why no credits were going in, and it goes straight from attract mode to 5 credits after I'd reloaded the layout.)

Hope I got the technical stuff about the 68000 correct :) 

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

12 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

Ahhh right that explains it, when I went to put money in to start the actual gameplay, nothing happened!

(You might have noticed a jump in the video there, as I edited out the bit where I was wondering why no credits were going in, and it goes straight from attract mode to 5 credits after I'd reloaded the layout.)

Hope I got the technical stuff about the 68000 correct :) 

It can lock up like that if you open/close the door, I think I've sussed the reset now and will fix it in the next update.

Yep technical stuff all good 🙂

• Like 3