YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

• 3 weeks later...

Gambling Low Ebbs Part #3

You know what to expect.

Folks who were around in the Fruit Forums days have heard of this one before.

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Anyone who has played machines, has a problem with gambling, I implore you to watch this.

Don't know if that was improvised, done in one take, but that is harrowing.  It's harrowing because I did the same, only to my parents, my friends, fucked up relationships.

You're so lucky Mrs Chop stayed with you.

Thanks for posting it, really.

NQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niallquinn said:

Anyone who has played machines, has a problem with gambling, I implore you to watch this.

Don't know if that was improvised, done in one take, but that is harrowing.  It's harrowing because I did the same, only to my parents, my friends, fucked up relationships.

You're so lucky Mrs Chop stayed with you.

Thanks for posting it, really.

NQ.

This was one of the longer edit tasks I've taken on, for those who are interested, I'll explain how this series has progressed.

#1 was literally just me putting on my headset one night and splurging the whole thing out without much in the way of planning. It was such a fucking bombsite that the raw Bandicam footage sat on my hard drive for a couple of months until one evening I decided to take on seeing if I could edit it into something watchable, (well, listenable really), and after a lot of hacking about, I managed to get something workable out of it.

#2 I had more of an idea where I was going but it was still somewhat rough and ready, and again, a lot of work needed to get it edited into a state I was happy with, but I started doing more in the way of graphic overlays and where I wanted the series to go had started to form in my mind.

Between Part #2 and #3, I worked out in my head what #4 and #5 would be, and why #3 should be #3, even though it was the last one chronologically. I also then went through #3 time and time again in my head, and it's taken months for me to find myself in the headspace one evening where I could sit down and record it. When I did record it, I did the whole recording in about 90 minutes.

That's not to say the recording was perfect by a long stretch, it's taken three full passes at the edit, including a render out after the second edit, and upon watching it I realised it still wasn't right, so I did another edit and added a load more graphics in, and trimmed some stuff out that didn't belong in the context of the narrative.

The edits aren't to change the meaning or the core thrust of the video, but to try and make the whole thing flow as a cohesive and accurate portrayal of what happened.

I could have just uploaded the raw Bandicam footage and it would still have been sort of the same thing in a way, but TBH I have more respect for the people who take the time to watch my videos than that, and I think the subject of addiction is important enough to warrant me spending the hours and hours I have working on this video to get it right. (For clarity, I don't think I'm important, but addiction is important, and even in my own small way I want to put honest and coherent accounts out there as to what it really is.)

Cheers for the comment niall, much appreciated :) 

(As for how blessed I was to have Mrs Degsy, that'll really come to the fore in #4 and #5. I've already talked to her about it as I needed her permission to do #3 since she 'features' in it, as it were.)

• Like 2

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Good mic quality ! ;)

A story well told again. I can fully appreciate the emotions it takes to get these moments in time out, but it's important to you and others to hear them and I thank you for taking the time to do them. 

Your wife and her family are obviously very empathetic and compassionate people (both of which we are increasingly rare quality these days) and it's that combined with your own will power which has allowed you to keep going.

Whilst I am always very thankful for the emulator coders, layout designers and resource gathers throughout the years which have collectively built the FME scene to the maturity it stands on now, I have never forgotten the initial resource and enthusiasm that made me appreciate the possibilities of FME all those years ago, and that was purely your web sites and the work you did to introduce FME to the public.

Thank you for everything you did back in the early days and thank you for the stories you kindly share with us now.

Edited by Mort
  • Like 1

Obviously this one was going to get a video all to itself. I was supposed to be playing Sphinx in this video as well but got totally carried away with Labyrinth.

• Like 1

I did start a classic for Pennies From Heaven ages ago, but it's mute, so it never really got finished :(

pennies.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've gone all modern and done PLAYLISTS for the channel, a mere 74 years after wearecity suggested it would be a good idea.

I'll finesse them a bit as time goes on (the Gambling Low Ebbs videos are currently in the 'Fruit Machine Emulation and Fruit Machines' category, I think I'll do a 'Degsy's Storytime' category and stick stuff like that in there), but it's better than it was.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDcvVVsvmgRBVeIVT8QgDQ/playlists

image.png.652dcee074c1bd78e2a47a43fcf61eda.png

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the video and I thought it was brilliant and in the main that was because it proves through the medium of emulation and even with your prep work that you cannot guarantee results against mathematical probabilities and differing profiles of play. I am glad (and don't take this the wrong way please) that your results had not been consistent because it proves the way in which probabilities in play profile can change. I would imagine that on opening the streak pot the machine must attribute a certain probability on a JP repeat against just continuing white board jackpots only and in your video we see evidence of both.

Wonderful video. I totally felt your frustration as I had a similar thing when I swore blind to you recently that John Francome would be good for £20-£30 from a RAM reset and on your video it didn't behave itself. 

Maybe you felt frustrated that it didn't play 'ball' but in a way I think your video is all the better for it that it didn't.

Edited by Mort
wording.
  • Like 3

Is Random Spinner emulated? I did a search and only found a screen shot from Pook. Didn't mind that one.