DX'Cellent
Sign in to follow this  
Pook

Globe Trotter DX - ACE - spACE

Great old machine by ACE that I seem to have had as a WIP for ages, just need to do the hidden lamp features within the scroll. Gonna be fiddly so have be putting it off.

globe.jpg

Edited by Pook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572f0e.gif

Started this WIP almost 5yrs ago O.o

Thought I'd best try to get back into it, one of the main reasons along with a few others I'd been putting it off was the bonus scroll. After much searching I found no reference of how I originally looked so I just winged it.

bonus.jpg

Edited by Pook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Awesome 1

Ooohhh this would be a nice one to see again, didn't it have the 'Fair Play' hi/lo gamble reel? :ph34r:

'It will never cheat you' :)

Looking forward to it Pook!

• Like 1

Looks great Pook :)

I'm sure I remember this having the 'Fair Play' hi/lo reel to start with, but then they changed it later on with a rechip so it didn't do it. Maybe it was too easily fiddled or something like that? (As theoretically, any win could be gambled to £3.)

Either way one to look forward to, I love the £3/£6/SPIN repeater on these, could go really big.

• Like 1

Can't say I ever remember ever seeing a fair play reel on any machine, but yeah I've had the repeater go mental a couple of times.

Some odd hidden lamps and symbols on the glass I'm trying to suss out but it's pretty much there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevedude2 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srRt8Ltwvtg&list=PLtTUCOIcC_6YLuJaJcUJP43CCmzkXhM7J

Dave, you'll find this useful :91_thumbsup:

Never ceases to amaze me the stuff you find on Youtube!  Should solve a few riddles :)

OH MY WORD!!! Thanks for linking this, I've mentioned this once or twice over the years see below lol, but have never found any pictures, videos or even a reference to it. Ok we still don't have roms for it, but just to see it again is brilliant.

As I said, I have posted about it over the years, such as.

"While you're here reading this, also a London Underground based machine, based on the circle line I think, blue cabinet, board like winner takes all and the machine with the stopwatch on it, which is emulated, but can't remember the name atm."

and I mentioned it in another thread "Unknown Tech - A London Underground machine, based on the Circle Line IIRC, sure it was blue in colour, was released between 1990 - 1995."

and in another thread "Also another machine I'm looking forward to is Circle Line, I used to play it in an arcade up the Edgware Road"

and in yet another thread "My favourite underground based game is Circle Line (A sp.ACE machine), hopefully one day emulated."

and even on this forums "Still hoping to see my favourite London Underground themed machine back in the day is emulated. I'm sure was called Circle Line and was around the same time as Winner Takes All, but I can't even find any pics, videos or even a reference of the machine, when searching the internet."

Edited by wearecity

From the comments on the video stevedude2 linked above, I'm definitely not imagining the 'Fair Play' hi/lo reel, that was what ACE called it and a few machines around this time used it.

They either did a hardware and/or software revision, and it went back to being a normal hi/lo reel.

Globe Trotter had the 'Fair Play' hi/lo reel to start with, I'm sure of it.

It even displayed something like 'My hi/lo reel won't cheat you at all!' on the DMD in attract mode.

image.png.27508dc3b3afbd02baa82596b8b636ad.png

• Like 1

You're not imagining it Chop, I also had vague recollections of something like that and I'm glad you mentioned it as well.  The number reel on the flyer looks identical to that of Grand National, except it looks to be all black with just the outline of the number and dice above, which would only be visible when the lamp behind it came on.  Circle Line looks to have the same style of reel also.  It looks like Ace tried this 'guess the number' idea and then abandoned it and chipped it out.  It was probably too easy to abuse as that Youtube comment shows.  I would guess that the secret lamp next to the blue sevens on GT says something like 'Bank Open' and you could simply gamble up to that and get into the World's Bank repeater :)

WAC - glad your dreams have come true lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

From the comments on the video stevedude2 linked above, I'm definitely not imagining the 'Fair Play' hi/lo reel, that was what ACE called it and a few machines around this time used it.

They either did a hardware and/or software revision, and it went back to being a normal hi/lo reel.

Globe Trotter had the 'Fair Play' hi/lo reel to start with, I'm sure of it.

It even displayed something like 'My hi/lo reel won't cheat you at all!' on the DMD in attract mode.

image.png.27508dc3b3afbd02baa82596b8b636ad.png

4 minutes ago, stevedude2 said:

You're not imagining it Chop, I also had vague recollections of something like that and I'm glad you mentioned it as well.  The number reel on the flyer looks identical to that of Grand National, except it looks to be all black with just the outline of the number and dice above, which would only be visible when the lamp behind it came on.  Circle Line looks to have the same style of reel also.  It looks like Ace tried this 'guess the number' idea and then abandoned it and chipped it out.  It was probably too easy to abuse as that Youtube comment shows.  I would guess that the secret lamp next to the blue sevens on GT says something like 'Bank Open' and you could simply gamble up to that and get into the World's Bank repeater :)

WAC - glad your dreams have come true lol

Come on guys, know your FME layouts :D

Fairplay reel you say.

Criss Cross Cash 1600 DX_2.jpg

• Like 1

Hidden text is the worse possible thing for any DX.  Don't know how many machines I haven't done because of it.

Nice video of Circle Line .  Not a machine I ever saw for real, but it looks very entertaining.  The DX I did for Criss Cross Cash had a fair play hi-lo reel which didn't cheat the player as well. 

^ Check Above ^ :)

Edited by Ploggy
REPLY TO WEARECITY's POST
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wearecity said:

Come on guys, know your FME layouts :D

Fairplay reel you say.

Yes I remember that, (hence my comment that a few machines of the time used it), I was specifically stating that I'm sure Globe Trotter used the Fair Play reel to start with as well :) 

1 hour ago, stevedude2 said:

Ah!  There we go :)

Never even knew that game existed.  I wonder if the fair play reel got chipped on that as well, and those are early ROMs?

The roms used on the layout are V092, mate.  You can cheat the emulated version by turning the reel lamp off.  If you do that, you can see what number is being shown meaning you can't lose.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Video link @stevedude2, great looking machine I'd not seen before and solved a couple of bits. After playing a few more quid through I'm going with a 'bonus on' & 'bonus off' lamps in the top line of the win table scroll. 'bank open' next to the blue 7's which comes into play when the bonus on lamp is off. The feature repeat when you get to the end of the trail for £3 I'm calling 'fly again' & 'grounded' unless anyone else has any memory of real machine or come up with better text options.

Last mystery I have is enhancing flyer through various filters I've identified two hidden arrows pointing towards the number reel that I can't see how they are relevant, something to do with this fair play reel maybe, anyone?

arrows.jpg.7dab4f02a1f4367cd150ebe40ad3701e.jpg

Maybe those hidden arrows light when you have a gamble opportunity?  Might be worth checking for other lamps when a gamble is offered and if they diminish when not.

J

Probably something to do with the fair play reel, yes.  Maybe on the chipped version they just don't use them?  Although I have a feint recollection of some other Ace games pointing to the number reel during a hi/lo gamble or something, as A:E says.  Might look through some more Youtube videos :)

I can't remember ever seeing this particular game with a hidden reel.   Does the flyer even mention it?   All these are pretty much Grand National clones.

J